Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - Best sounding CD (updated)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AnyColourYouLike, Oct 21, 2011.

1. montejay

montejay Forum Resident

do you mean the redbook layer?

2. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

Nay. Not the redbook. SACD stereo.

3. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

Because it's probably the only one they've heard.

hi_watt likes this.
  4. Majestyk

Majestyk Rush Resident

CD wise, this is the one people should be getting. If' it's the pre-emphasized version, than it's same as the Black Triangle. I got mine for really cheap on ebay.

5. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Yes this is a true 1st issue Sony pressing - it is the Black Triangle. It has pre emphasis.
    Also a non CDP.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  6. L5730

L5730 Forum Resident

Because of this threads persistence, I ripped a mates copy of the 2011 Immersion mastering (for educational use - if I like it, I'll buy it). Is it me or has noise reduction been used on this one? I thought the Black Triangle sounded like a tape dub in some places, but the 2011 mastering takes the biscuit for being dull. OK, to make a fair comparison it needs something like 7 dB shaved off (ouch).
    Something very odd, the ringing alarm at the beginning of Time is brighter on the 2011 than the Black Triangle, and slightly brighter/cleaner than the 1993, but then zip into the guitar solo and it's mush city on the 2011, really lacking in all manor of clarity. When I look at the spectral data the indication is that higher frequencies were captured (makes sense based on 90's A/D tech vs current A/D tech). The only assumption I can make is that noise reduction has been applied to the upper mid area.

..I'll have to do a bit more listening, but I think there still only 3 masterings on redbook that are all that good.

QQQ and JJ3810 like this.
  7. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

To this day it's the MFSL UD1 for me. The clock bells at the beginning of time sound buttery smooth. I have yet to hear the 2011 remaster.

QQQ likes this.
  8. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

My very first cd I got in 1984 was the Harvest blackface,still have it BTW.But I have to say I like the MFSL the best,i'm sure my loss of high freq hearing adds to this somehow,as i've read all about the treble boost and such.

9. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

Is the MFSL UDCD 517 the same as UD1 or UD2?

Arrived in the mail last night and compared to the 2011 and Capitol, I like the MFSL the best. It's bassier and quieter, but the sound is cleaner IMO.

10. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

UDCD 517 is the catalog number. UD1 stands for Ultradisc (I), which was pressed in Japan. UD2 stands for Ultradisc II, which was pressed in the USA a couple of years later.

As I understand it, it's the same mastering. They only used a different plant for cd reproduction.

QQQ, Dave and L5730 like this.
  11. hogger129

hogger129 Well-Known Member

I have the MFSL and the Immersion Edition ones. Dad has the 1980s US Capitol. I think out of all of them, I like the sound of the Capitol the best. The MFSL has some - what sounds like - surface noise copied onto the recording.

Alex00 likes this.
  12. Say

Say Forum Resident

I have the 2011 remaster, 30th Anv. SACD, 20th Anv. Box (Doug Sax), and 1985 Capital Records CD. None of them sound bad. The least pleasing is the 30th Anv. SACD. I really like the 20th anniversary CD though.

13. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Blue Triangle LP needledrop?:ignore:

14. Espen R

Espen R Senior Member

MFSL UD1 CD is the one I prefer.
    It's the smoothest sounding, most "analog" sounding. You know the *magic* that the best LP has (for those who have heard), the MFSL CD has a bit of this magic, IMO.

An SHM-SACD of this one could really be something...maybe a bit mastering is needed for this one.

15. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

When are "clock bells" supposed too sound "buttery smooth"?!?!
    Certainly not when attempting too wake you up.

Man at C&A likes this.
  16. Tim Garrison

Tim Garrison Well-Known Member

Nothing beats the first record pressings with the blue triangle but the a10-b9 and before to a3-b3 are close.The mofi is great too as well as the 30 anniversary edition.I KNOW THESE ARE NOT CDS.

17. FunBrownSugar

FunBrownSugar Active Member

It seems the "non-TO black triangle" version is the most popular and well-regarded here on the forums. Why? What about it makes it better than the other CD releases? I'm just curious.

18. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

What's "TO"?

19. FunBrownSugar

FunBrownSugar Active Member

20. gedsmit

gedsmit Fair Weather Member

Always manages to give me a start when those bells chime in, especially when playing the album loud!

stereoptic and scobb like this.
  21. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

I have a Harvest Blackface matrix CP-35 3017 28A5. Is this the grail mastering?

22. BJEvS

BJEvS Forum Resident

I only own MFSL's CD version (and the MFSL vinyl - not the UHQR 200 gram vinyl); but now no system for my turntable anyway. I agree with the person who said the 1900? MFSL CD (not aware there were 2 - UD1 & UD2 - these differ?) needs volume to enjoy the nuances. Can't always turn it up to max speaker limit, so looking for one more good choice (without studying recording engineering, and getting analytic software, that many blogs assume) that will give the "feel" at lower decibels - that's my criteria.

So, based solely on the survey, can I presume the 2011 CD - this one --> http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Side-Moon-Pink-Floyd/dp/B004ZN9RWK best regarding my criteria, regardless of not knowing if who responded has heard each choice. I did not see any reference to the 2011 Immersion Box set separate CD piece (like the 2013 Deluxe Edition 2 CD subset taken from the Super Deluxe Box set of the Who's "Tommy"). Or is that the survey's 2011 Remaster, and the one in my link above it?

Surprised to see the 2003 SACD (Redbook layer - whatever that means?) rate as No.4. Just presumed any SACD 5.1 stuff was always 1st or 2nd place. But again it's not a statically scientific survey. More input as to this 2003, or the 2011 as my next choice is welcome. Are there any newer remasters out or planned?

Also, I'd much appreciate anyone who has a physical link of the DSotM chronology. Every release since 1973 & more pictures and short descriptions, than a poop-load of jargon and sonic digital graphs (NOT like this please: http://www.stereophile.com/news/11649 - :confused:).

¡Muchísimas Gracias! Mis Amigos

PS. I do like the vote/recap - should do more often whomever is the forum moderator. Some just want simple advice - especially when cash and time are in short supply.
    PSS. Where do you indicate a different choice when choosing: "Other (please state)?", i.e., where's the original survey form?

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

I have the Harvest Japanese blackface, matrix CP35-3017 31A3, non-to. I enjoy it very much.

24. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

1. 2011 Remaster
      78 vote(s)
      24.8%
    :righton:

25. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I'm not sure why so many liked the 2011 remaster. It's okay but I don't think I'd say it sounds the best.

I have that one, the UD1 MFSL, and the CDP Capitol from the '80s. I prefer the MFSL. Now if I threw my 2011 180g vinyl into the running, I would rank that one #1.

BTW, are the 20th Anniversary and the "1992 Remaster" (which is actually the Doug Sax remaster), not the same disc?