Pink Floyd DSOTM, Harvest Japanese vs. more recent releases

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VeeDub, Jun 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member Thread Starter

Pink Floyd DSOTM

After going through numerous archived threads on DSOTM, I am still looking for any "A/B" opinions on the original Harvest Japanese CD release vs. anything released more recently. I managed to pick this up rather cheaply, but have nothing further to compare it to. I'm fairly sure this is the initial jewel box release for the Japan market, Harvest 7-46001-2; BIEM/JASRAC; inner ring reads CP35-3017 28A5 (or maybe this was manufactured in Japan for another market?).

I've only been able to briefly compare it to the original US Capitol release, and, no surprise, it beats the US.

Aside from needing a loan to pick up a MoFi UD1, any good in-print alternatives that have a superior mastering job?

Thanks, Floyd experts.

2. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

The inner ring info coincides with the original Toshiba-EMI issue in Japan (the CP- number is the catalog number, issued in 1983, the same time as Abbey Road, Tattoo You, and a bunch of others). Sounds like they just re-did the labels for export to whatever country had the Harvest release.

The Toshiba-EMI has always been my favorite. Like Abbey Road, it's a little thin, but it's so, well... "analog" that you gotta love it. None of this "No Noise" or "level-pushing" cr*p for those discs!!

Incidentally, there's an issue of Wings Greatest that's part of the same Toshiba series, which has a **remarkable** version of "Live and Let Die"... loads of slam and dynamics on my Dynaco. And I could be wrong, but I could also swear that it's Pro-Logic-- always sounded that way when I used to play it with my H-K receiver.

Hope this helps...!

-Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.