Pink Floyd DSOTM Immersion Blu Ray Failure

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Tornado Red, Nov 22, 2016.

1. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've seen this touched on in a couple of different threads, thought maybe a dedicated thread was warranted. Also I've heard of issues with The Early Years PF set, I haven't researched it but if anyone would like to draw a correlation to the Immersion BD problem please do.

Just to preface this a bit, several people here and on other forums have reported the blu ray from the DSOTM Immersion set will (suddenly) not play (some report this in any player they try, some only in certain players). This morning I've cobbled together some basic reportings on this, if any of you can corroborate or refute any of the following, please feel free to contribute!

Nothing official, so please take this with a grain of salt: It appears that there are 2 pressings of the discs in the Immersion set, specifically I'll talk about the blu ray. If your disc has the following stamp numbers on the inner ring of the "play" side (easily seen with a flashlight and/or mag. glass) you likely have a North American pressing:
    BVDL-196930A1 3
    BVDL-196930B1 3

If the inner ring has this stamp, it's likely the European (Germany) pressing:
    294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L0
    294349 DB44459-01 optimal media production L1

According to pinkfloydarchives.com, the North American pressing on the CDs and DVDs is Sony/Mexico, though there is no listing for the blu ray. From what I've pieced together so far, there have been no failures that I could find of the North American pressed blu ray. All the failures I've researched from other forums appear to point towards the failure-to-play blu rays are the German pressings...but not all of these fail. So to recap, I guess I'm saying not all of the European pressings are failing, but of the ones I've heard of failing so far, all are the Optimal pressings.

I have the NA pressing and am having no issues playing in either an old Sony 350 or Oppo 103 player. If you have this set, please give the BD a spin and let us know if it's still functioning for you. And anyone that has further info, please post here, thanks!

2. Batman21

Batman21 If you don’t run you rust

That is wild. I have the standalone blu ray i found on ebay. Came sealed, likely a bootleg but ill check it tonight.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Bill,

Thanks for taking the time to research this! I'll be checking my Blu-ray from the DSOTM Immersion set when I get home. Nice job :)!

Tornado Red likes this.
  4. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

My pressing is BVDL-196930B1 3 and still plays fine

Tornado Red likes this.
  5. Batman21

Mine is by eagle rock and the numbers look backwards to me.

6. I checked mine last night and it plays just fine. Didn't bother to look at what pressing I had though. Must have a look tonight.

Tornado Red likes this.
  7. drumzNspace

drumzNspace Forum Resident

Wow, thank you for doing this reaseach and posting this. I've been reading the Early Years thread and came across this item in horror. It is great to now know something more about it.

Happy (for me) is that I have a North American BVDL-196930B1 3 and it plays. (I'm spinnning the quad right now).

Thanks again man.

8. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I'm good, thanks. :tiphat:

Tornado Red likes this.
  9. Tornado Red

Eagle Rock? Sounds a little bootleggy perhaps ;)

joshm2286 likes this.
  10. RexKramer

RexKramer Senior Member

Are you sure Eagle Rock isn't their Classic Albums: the Dark Side of the Moon disc? I don't think any disc on the Immersion box would bear the Ealge Rock logo. It's a good disc by the way, I've liked the 2-3 docs I've seen that Eagle Rock put out.

11. Hamhead

Hamhead The Bear From Delaware

They issued a DSOTM Classic Albums DVD

12. supermd

supermd Senior Member

Mine is from the US and plays just fine. I tested 5.1 and Quad layers.

Tornado Red likes this.
  13. Tornado Red

Ahh, I bet you're right Rex...I have that blu ray, perhaps that's the one he's referring to...

14. Batman21

i knew someone wld think i was talking about the classic album dvd, I have that one too.

This is a stand alone version of the blu ray disc from the immersion set. I also have the WYWH version. Aside from mentioning "2011 eagle rock" the rest of the writing on the case is in another language. all the audio options play in the correct format (quad, 5.1, etc.) id say there is a 95% chance its bootleg and a 5% chance that eagle rock licensed the blu in some parts of the world. The disc is region free, btw.

Here, its on ebay -
    Pink Floyd The Dark Side Of The Moon Blu-Ray Disc | eBay »

15. Batman21

16. Tornado Red

Very interesting! So how does it sound? Found a different link that sent me to eBay, and it says from "Russian Federation". I like the cover and case, it'd be a great replacement for the cardboard sleeve :righton:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
    joshm2286 likes this.
  17. Batman21

It sounds great. I dont havve the genuine one to compare to but the menus look legit and as i said all the different audio streams advertised on the immersion set are there. As are the stage videos.

I brought this up as an option for people to (relativley) cheaply replace their broken blus.

JediJoker and joshm2286 like this.
  18. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Well I did and... my Bluray disc doesn't function anymore ! I can't read it at all in any of my bluray players (two standalone bluray players and one laptop internal bluray recorder).
    It's an european copy. I'm mortified. :(

Tornado Red likes this.
  19. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I have the US Immersion sets for Dark Side and Wish You Were Here, and the Blu Ray discs from both sets are flawless after countless plays. No problems here! I feel for those in Europe who are having this issue!

audiomixer and Tornado Red like this.
  20. Tornado Red

I'm sorry to hear, that really sucks!:cry: I don't have an answer for you, but maybe start by contacting Optimal Media....

21. Confirming mine is one of the suspect West German pressings (Optimal) but it still plays fine.

Tornado Red likes this.
  22. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Mine plays seamlessly.

Tornado Red likes this.
  23. Tornado Red

I wonder what would make a blu ray like the Optimal work fine and then be a no go for some only 5 years in? You wouldn't think there'd be any sort of disc rot at this early stage...but if it worked at one point and then not, it sounds like something physically has changed? :shrug: Perhaps a long shot, but what about the possibility of a firmware update on existing players (or newly bought players) that triggers something with this disk that renders it unplayable? Does anyone have an Optimal disc that won't play in a BD player with very old software?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2016
  24. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

My Immersion DSotM Blu-Ray "stopped playing" too, but I don't think it's because of it "turned sour". I think it has to do with the firmware of the BluRay player. I have two players. The first one was bought in the early years of the BluRay and played the DSotM BD fine. Then I got a more modern "superior" BluRay player and it never played the DSotM BD. Now, does it have to do with the disc or the player? I don't know.

Tornado Red likes this.
  25. Tornado Red

Thanks for your post. Still don't know what's going on at this point, but I'm leaning more towards some type of firmware issue. In the history of shiny discs, has there ever been a format with more "protection" heaped on it through firmware updates over the years than blu ray? To stay within blu ray code standards, updates seem to happen quite often. So older players get updated, new players already come with the latest firmware. That's why I'm wondering if something "new" in the updates over, say, the last couple of years has rendered this particular disc unplayable? Be interesting to hear if more folks chime in with an older player they haven't updated in the last few years to see if the disc is still playable for them.