Pink Floyd - Fictional Second Album with Syd Barrett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andrewskyDE, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner Thread Starter

I heard some previews of these tracks and I, too, don't like some of them's mixes.
    But to make a good sounding album generally I did some remastering of the previously available tracks from the Saucerful album, including a longer mix of 'Set The Controls' (combining the stereo mix with the mono mix's longer outro, etc.),
    also I re-EQed 'Remember A Day' a bit so that this will sound good lying next to the "newer" tracks.
    I have to wait a bit longer for the box set, probably Christmas or later. So many ideas in mind about how I could make an authentic album out of this material.

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm OK with the new "Scream" but "Vegetable Man" was a disappointment. There's nothing else to compare "Beechwoods" with, but I can see what you and SLN are saying about the modern mixing techniques here. I do wish that they had included the previous mix attempts of those two tracks on the Continu/ation disc.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. andrewskyDE

Yep, especially 'Vegetable Man' sounds much more weird than we originally knew. Too 'roomy', like the whole band is distanced from some microphones. Who came to this mix's idea??

4. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

In no particular order...

Arnold Layne
    Candy And A Currant Bun
    See Emily Play
    Paintbox
    Apples And Oranges
    Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
    Remember A Day
    Jugband Blues
    Scream Thy Last Scream
    Vegetable Man

All complete songs, no barrel scraping needs to be done!

wayne66 and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. andrewskyDE

I compiled a "first" Floyd album before Piper with 'Arnold', 'Emily', 'Candy' and the London 66/67 tracks on it.
    Because these tracks were all recorded at Sound Techniques in Chelsea by Joe Boyd (except 'Emily' actually). Weird but I often go back listening to this (self created) album anytime when I wanna hear Syd's (early) works.

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I've seen your post for it in the big Early Years thread, would you mind posting the track list again with your artwork? Thanks.

7. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

My latest attempts.....

Pink Floyd - The Open Road (Released March 1968)
    In The Beechwoods
    Paintbox
    Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun
    Scream Thy Last Scream
    Apples & Oranges
    Vegetable Man
    Remember A Day
    Jugband Blues

Pink Floyd - The Massed Gadgets of Hercules (Released November 1968)
    Song 1
    Let There Be More Light
    See Saw
    Corporal Clegg
    Julia Dream
    A Saucerful Of Secrets
    Careful With That Axe Eugene

Radardog likes this.
  8. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

What's everyone's thoughts on using 1968-recorded "Madcap Laughs" songs for a fictional 2nd Pink Floyd album with Syd?

I used Late Night to close side 1 of my tracklist (page 2 of this topic), and Swan Lee (Silas Lang) as a B-Side.. but there's also Golden Hair and Clowns and Jugglers that could have been in contention for Saucerful sessions if he was still in the band.

9. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

The vast majority of the Madcap & Barrett tracks fully realized would've made wonderful Floyd albums.. great tunes regardless of Syd's condition

Natural E and DTK like this.
  10. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

I've done something similar with a 1968 Syd album, made up of music he recorded or started work on in 1968, combined with unused material from Pink Floyd that was originally intended to be worked on some more at the solo sessions.

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

This thread demonstrates why I love this forum. People who actualize my obscure daydreams! :)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Yep, the degree to which Syd's solo work was polished & fully realised varies wildly - some of it is exactly how I'd imagine Pink Floyd sounding with him on board, and others... well.. you can't blame his fellow musicians for being a step or two behind him, given how he could change gear at any time!

Dominoes for one is a track that's 100% Syd Floyd - even has some great playing from Richard Wright. I know that instrumental ending was added to draw-out a far-too-short demo, but it couldn't have been executed much better.

kendo and James5001 like this.
  13. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

That's an interesting scenario. What was the tracklist of your 1968 Syd Barrett album? Also, in that situation what track would you substitute for Jugband Blues on Pink Floyd's 1968 album?

As an aside, there may be opportunity now to make another Syd album from remaining demos/acoustic tracks like Let's Split or Opel, what with modern sound editing tools. It might not be easy, but probably more achievable now than before.

14. andrewskyDE

Well, I posted it on Page 2 of this thread already ;)

hvbias likes this.
  15. andrewskyDE

Semi-off topic, but...
    I also made a tracklist of songs after Syd's departure, omitting the late Syd/Floyd recordings because they were already used for the earlier fictional album.
    Included are tracks originally released as single a- and b-sides. Just a sketch...
    This should sound and fit better if ALL tracks are available in stereo, or I will compile them together as an exclusive mono album.^^

[​IMG]

Side 1
    - Let There Be More Light
    - It Would Be So Nice
    - Julia Dream
    - Corporal Clegg
    - Point Me At The Sky
    - The Embryo

Side 2
    - A Saucerful Of Secrets
    - See-Saw
    - Careful With That Axe Eugene

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  16. andrewskyDE

I changed it a bit to fill the white space with an album name... Anyway, back to the topic!!^^

[​IMG]

17. kayley10

kayley10 Forum Resident

Of course the mother of should-have-been albums is the phenomenal Man And The Journey. One of the best things about the box set for me is for The Man And The Journey finally to get an official release! It's the best possible configuration for the material. Instead, they released the substandard (in my opinion) Soundtrack To The Film More and, while I love Ummagumma for what it is, it's doesn't stand up as well as The Man And The Journey.

OK, there are parts of The Man which are untranslatable to record (hammering, sawing, tea, etc.) but The Journey has got to be one of the most incredible musical moments of the Floyd. I cannot praise this stuff enough. It just blew my mind the first time I heard it.

However, if Floyd had released The Man And The Journey in 1969 they would have reached conceptual perfection and we may never have gotten all the brilliant music that followed.

(off topic I know, sorry)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  18. ottoman79

ottoman79 Forum Resident

Where is this photo from?

19. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

On the road to 'Tomorrows world' ?
    December 1967 I guess
    There is another one from the same session on the booklet of the 3CDs Syd's box set.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. andrewskyDE

I don't know. Just googled it in a way like "Pink Floyd late 1967" and found this good looking rarity...
    For the album design I had to replace the tree background because the photo hadn't fit well in a squared picture, so I looked for a similar 'winter trees' pic and in a way it worked well for this sleeve then.

21. Jason68

Jason68 Member

Personally, I kept thinking that too. Then again, maybe it is because I am used to sub-par recordings from this era.

22. FredHubbard

FredHubbard Forum Resident

something like this ? : Albums That Never Were: Pink Floyd - The Massed Gadgets of Auximenes ยป

Natural E and soniclovenoize like this.
  23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

What are the best STEREO sources for the studio tracks with Syd's involvement? Here are my guesses, and maybe you can help me fill it in:

Vegetable Man (Early Years Box)
    Apples and Oranges
    Paint Box (Relics)
    In The Beechwoods (Early Years Box)
    Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun (A Saucerful of Secrets Doug Sax remaster - 1994)
    Scream Thy Last Scream (Early Years Box)
    Remember a Day (A Saucerful of Secrets Doug Sax remaster - 1994)
    Jugband Blues (A Saucerful of Secrets Doug Sax remaster - 1994)
    Jugband Blues Remix (Early Years Box)

Does anyone disagree with any of these, and where can one find a stereo mix of Apples and Oranges?

24. Apples and Oranges stereo mix is on the 40th anniversary Piper 3 disk set and sounds just fine there.

Luke The Drifter and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Did I read there is another version of Apples and Oranges on the Intro to Syd Barrett set? Does anyone know how it sounds? Is it a remix?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.