Pink Floyd - Fictional Second Album with Syd Barrett

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by andrewskyDE, Nov 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner Thread Starter

Yes! And it's the only source available digitally, but fortunately it sounds amazing!

By the way, I would re-EQ/remaster 'Remember A Day a bit, so it would fit better to the other tracks. The original mix/master always sounds muddy...

[EdiT:] Oops I forgot the Syd Intro CD, anyway, how does this version of 'Apples and Oranges' sound like?

2. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Yes, but both are the same mix (there was only one BTW).
    Piper 40th has extra chat at the beginning and the end, and is mastered to sound faithfully to the original.
    Introduction to Syd's is slightly reprocessed, the mastering sounds very good however.
    Feel free to choose the one you prefer :)

andrewskyDE and Luke The Drifter like this.
  3. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

'68 Syd solo album using only material recorded May-July 1968 produced by Peter Jenner. Swan Lee and Golden Hair use the unbooted 1968 vocal overdubs.

Side A:
    Clowns and Jugglers
    Swan Lee
    Late Night
    Golden Hair

Side B:
    Rhamadan

anth67, andrewskyDE and DeadParrot like this.
  4. the Deacon from Deetroit

the Deacon from Deetroit Active Member

The mix on Piper 40th has the Rngineer announcing "RS1" at the beginning. This was the only official stereo mix done in 1967. But I don't like the sound of it much. Guitar is too low, and the mix just doesn't sound clean. Scratchy sibilants, etc.

The Masters of Rock collection had what was apparently a later remix. It sounds much better.

Then it was remixed (but not labeled as such) on Intro to Syd. MUCH better. I think that is the best sounding AaO ever. Better than the mono, finally.

5. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

I'm afraid you're wrong when you say there are three stereo remixes of A&O.

I have listened again to the three versions you mention, and came to the same conclusion as previously : there are no mixing differences, just slight mastering differences. Listen to the panning effects in the 'See You...' part, they're moving the same way. And all the other backing vocals come and go exactly at the same times and places thoughout the song.

Factually, Malcolm Jones, in 1982, noted that A&O was laid down on three different 4-track tapes : 66461-4T, 66462-4T & 66463-4T. David Parker, in 2001, found no informations about the A&O 4-track tapes and only guessed that it might have been laid down on 66563-4T with Paintbox. Who's right, I don't really know, however, all of these 4-track tapes were missing from the vault in 2001, when Parker achieved his investigations. Unless someone found them in 2010 (which is very unlikely), there was no way to remix A&O for 'Introduction to Syd' comp.
    And my guess is that they were destroyed as soon as the single was released, right after they made the RS1 mix. There was then no need to keep them.

To my ears, the 'Masters of Rock' mastering is punchier, because of a narrower stereo separation, which was obviously made from the 2-track RS1 mix tape (66771 2-T).
    The 'Introduction to Syd' mastering, which I also like better than the other ones, has a perfectly balanced EQing, perhaps a slight reverb and maybe a narrower stereo separation (but not as narrow as the 'Masters of Rock' mastering).
    The 'Piper 40th' mastering sounds completley flat and dry, very wide, but at least, seems faithfull to the original 2-track tape.

Hope this helps.

6. Dr. Robert

Dr. Robert Forum Reconstructor

I did mine much like @soniclovenoise 's, only replacing one thing or the other, and kept the title. It went:

Side 1:
    1. Vegetable Man
    2. Apples and Oranges
    3. Paintbox
    4. Late Night
    5. Swan Lee (Silas Lang)
    6. Golden Hair
    Side 2
    1. Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
    2. Remember a Day
    3. Clowns and Jugglers
    4. Scream Thy Last Scream
    5. Jugband Blues

All Syd tunes recorded in early '68 with Jenner, all the last Syd tunes with Floyd, together with the Apples and Oranges single. And oh, @andrewskyDE , you've got some brilliant alt. album covers, they replaced most of the regular ones in my iTunes! Thanks!

soniclovenoize and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

The Introduction To Syd vinyl is in my wishlist since years, but gee looks like I need the CD as well! Thanks for the details!

Hmm, now I have to think about it again.^^

Wyd Syatt likes this.
  8. andrewskyDE

I couldn't get the Cambridge St/ation box previously, so I still have to wait for the next year's releases to compile my second Syd/Floyd album finally.

9. andrewskyDE

My pleasure! For which albums did you use them?

10. Dr. Robert

I used 'em for Aftermath (w/o the Could You Walk... tunes), Beggar's Banquet, Off the Beatle Track (fantasy '62 beatles album by me), the magnificent Celebration of the Lizard, Morrison Hotel, and well, that's all I can remember offhand

11. andrewskyDE

Oh, you meant the other bands album sleeves (I was thinking about Floyd albums only, haha).^^ Anyway, enjoy the art stuff ;)

12. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

I've thought a lot about it, but really can't come up with any sort of "fictional second album with Syd but excludes Dave" that sounds right to me.

<<< possible thread derailment follows, sorry in advance >>>

I know the thread premise was to construct one without songs that include Gilmour. But if I could break that thread rule, I'd include some Gilmour songs but I'd feature more Barrett than A Saucerful Of Secrets did. I like to dream that we'd have had an album from a five-man Pink Floyd: A Half-Saucerful Of Barretts :crazy:

Basically, I'd just replace two existing Saucerful tracks with two Barrett tracks, and keep the rest of the sequencing the same. I love how it flows:

Side 1
    Scream Thy Last Scream (Barrett)
    Remember A Day (Wright)
    Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun (Waters)
    Vegetable Man (Barrett)

Side 2
    A Saucerful Of Secrets (Gilmour, Mason, Waters, Wright)
    See Saw (Wright)
    Jugband Blues (Barrett)

None of the above overlapped with any of the 5 singles they released, and they could still have "Let There Be More Light" and "Corporal Clegg" lying around for their 6th single if they wished.

Wyd Syatt and andrewskyDE like this.
  13. andrewskyDE

Honestly this is an interesting idea. A full five-piece band album would've been nice indeed. I also always liked ideas like 'Corporal Clegg' better being a 7'' single rather than an album track for the band...

Wyd Syatt likes this.
  14. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

"Corporal Clegg" practically screams, "I should be a B-side!" :rant:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  15. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Interesting choice. I love "Swan Lee" but that feels more distinctly like Syd solo to me. Like you, I'm following soniclovenoise's model at this point, only replacing "Lanky" with "In The Beechwoods" for another full Floyd track (despite the lack of vocals--it's magical enough to me without).

16. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Ok, how about this?

Side 1:
    Let there be more light
    Remember a day
    Set the controls for the heart of the sun
    See saw
    Late night

Side 2
    It would be so nice
    Paintbox
    Corporal Clegg
    Julia Dream
    Scream thy last scream
    Jugband blues

The idea is having a mellow side 1, and a rather manic (except for Julia Dream) side 2.

I'd probably go for non album singles being..

Vegetable Man b/w Apples and Oranges in late 1967
    One in a Million b/w Beechwoods in March 1968
    Clowns & Jugglers b/w Swan Lee in July 1968

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

To me it would've been an awesome a-side though...

18. andrewskyDE

This is nice, too! Wish we could hear 'One In A Million'... and 'She Was A Millionaire'!

19. soniclovenoize

soniclovenoize Forum Resident

You know what?

I changed my mind. A ten-minute edit of John Latham is fine, and "In The Beechwoods" is fine for what it is.

20. Dr. Robert

well, that escalated quickly. The Shape of Questions to Heaven Vol. 2 it is, then?

soniclovenoize likes this.
  21. The first two times I heard the Latham material (back in early January), I wasn't particularly moved. But a couple Saturdays ago I had it on again, and holy cow, for some reason I was transfixed! Listened to it again immediately, because I couldn't believe my ears (but I loved it that time too).

I certainly wouldn't expect anyone else to have the same experience (or necessarily ever like it), but now I think it's every bit as "Nick's Boogie" (for instance), and nearly as good as that original earlier version of I/O (the one from the London 66-67 EP).

Amazing how sometimes something will just 'click' like that.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
    andrewskyDE and anth67 like this.
  22. andrewskyDE

Just one month left till I can finally finish my version of Syd/Floyd's second 1967 album... Still have to pre-order Cambridge St/ation soon though.

Hattipper likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

By the way, yesterday I changed my version of a fictional precursor album of The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (which I named simply The Pink Floyd, containing all recordings from Sound Techniques produced by Joe Boyd).
    Made new artwork and omitted 'See Emily Play' to fit the early '67 period a bit more. Also a back cover is there now.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Nice :) I made one of these...(without the exceptional cover art, alas). My version was:

Interstellar Overdrive
    Candy and a Currant Bun

Arnold Layne
    Nick's Boogie
    See Emily Play

Was tempted to throw in Lucy Leave (since they performed that into late '66 at least), but these all hung together too well for such a different-sounding track. Did include Emily.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  25. Felix Atagong

Felix Atagong Forum Resident

What is your Tumblr, please? I would like to re-publish these on mine (if I may).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.