PInk Floyd-Japanesed Mini-LP 2017

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Norco74, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eric Weinraub

Eric Weinraub Forum Resident

Except that James Guthrie just went back to the tapes and did a whole bunch of new masters, including animals, for the 2016 re release campaign. I would say, honestly, the best remaster was done by Doug Sax for the 30th anniversary vinyl of DSOTM.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

In Reply to your Excellent Packaging overview, My Bank Account says: :cussing:

Also, if these CDs are not available in a Box Set(do not understand why they would not provide this option of a Nice Outer Box for those, who want to own all of the CDs), does anyone know if they would fit inside the Box for 'Oh By The Way', or would these Individual CDs packaging be too bulky to fit into that Box?

3. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good… Thread Starter

The 2016 vinyl campaign, the Early years boxset, Waters and Gilmour solos and now these mini LP serie; a lot to acquire (or not) in a short period of time. I was waiting for this mini LP serie for a while. I do not have the 2007 or 2011 runs. Prior to get these, I was still spinning the 1992 superb remasters by Doug Sax. Too loud or bright to some, I enjoy this set. The 2011 is really an upgrade in terms of SQ but you all knew that...

A storage box for these mini LP would have been nice but given their non-standard size I don’t know what to do with them anymore. Someone, somewhere will come come up with something soon.

andrewskyDE and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  4. moops

moops Senior Member

I received my first set the other day ...... and yes they are wonderful.
    I decided to order these as I didn't like the packaging on offer with the 2011 remasters, so I held off from buying them on the slim chance that these would appear one day.
    I didn't get them all, just my faves.
    Plus .... I'm a sucker for a decent Japanese mini-lp, so a reissue campaign of Japanese minis for Pink Floyd with the 2011 mastering was a win/win.
    I won't need to purchase these albums anymore. I'm done !! :thumbsup:

dennis the menace likes this.
  5. Farthingscat

Farthingscat Forum Resident

Unless Mfsl get to have a go

6. lwh1

lwh1 Forum Resident

With a quivering finger over the "buy it now" button, a moment of sheer madness came over me, and so I have ordered 'DSOTM', 'WYWH' and 'Animals'.
    After buying two Japanese T.Rex CD's, now I have to figure out how the hell I'm going to pay this month's credit card bill!!

7. Norco74

Pay it next month with 27% annual interest...

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  8. Eric Weinraub

I've had my first batch of these for about 2 weeks. DOTSM. OBC. Meddle. Finally opened them today. you have have to hand it to the folks that put these together. They are perfect in every way right down to the mini La Valley sticker on OBC and the mini stickers in DSOTM. They sound pretty darn good too! My second batch, SFS/WYWH/Animals/Division Bell/MLOR/The Wall/Final Cut, are on their way from Japan....Undecided if I will purchase the remaining ones, AHM, More, PATGOD, UmmaGumma, and Endless River.

Norco74 likes this.
  9. Eric Weinraub

I don't see any further interest from the band or CBS to have another go at these. the 2011/2016 mastering will have to suffice not to mention the Doug Sax remaster for the 30th anniversary.

10. Norco74

Wait till you get ASOS with its foldover cover... Ordering More and PATGOD will then be an OCD reaction... BTW, is foldover cover the right expression to use?

11. synthfrog

synthfrog Forum Resident

Sony Japan has announced it will issue a promo box which can be obtained (in Japan only) by customers who purchased all 15 mini LP CDs.
    There are application vouchers in each individual release, those who submit all 15 are eligible. The box will be sent out in February 2018.

[​IMG]

At present there is one Japanese eBay seller who sells the whole lot worldwide and is willing to apply on your behalf.
    If interested, search for "Pink Floyd 15 Japan Mini LP CD set with promo box".

12. TheSeldomSeenKid

Is there an email address to contact whoever is distributing these Outer Boxes? I would like to see if they will consider mailing one out in the future for people who live in other countries and buy the entire Set of CDs. That Outer Box is nice looking. I would even buy 'The Final Cut', if it meant that I could get that Outer Box.

13. Eric Weinraub

For me, purchasing Endless River is a struggle.

PsychedelicMike likes this.
  14. synthfrog

synthfrog Forum Resident

All I could find is the Sony Music Shop contact form:
    SonyMusicShop

(use Google translate)

The item and conditions appear here:
    SonyMusicShop

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  15. TheSeldomSeenKid

Thank you for finding that link. I will check it out.

16. Norco74

I will try to fire an email to CDJapan today.

17. Norco74

And here’s the answer:

Hello.

Thank you for contacting CDJapan.

We became aware of that much earlier, and made some inquiries.

Unfortunately, we will not be able to obtain that.

Sometimes, record companies run a promotion like this where they require purchasers to send to them proofs of purchase to receive a special bonus.

It is actually a part of their marketing efforts to try to get to know the consumers of their products.

Normally, they have absolutely no access to any personal information of consumers of their products.

So, they sometimes run promotions like this for marketing purposes as well as for promotional purpose.

Even though they understand that our customers are primarily located outside of Japan, they will not be able to do anything special or different for us or for any store, because they will be receiving a very large number of applications.

On our side, as well, it will be a bit impractical to make someone locate a specific package in order to open the item to extract the proof of purchase from it.

Sincerely,
    Name and address withdrawn

PhantomStranger likes this.
  18. TheSeldomSeenKid

Why can't CD Japan just look at their Internet Sales Orders made to specific people, who bought all of the CDs? I do not understand their quote here about needing to locate a specific package to open the item to extract proof of purchase from it. Sounds like just an excuse to me, unless I do not understand something in their reply.
    Thanks for the followup and pasting their reply though.

19. Norco74

Yes it looks like they are not interested to manage the promo part as it is more effort!

On one of my last trip overthere, the sales guy happily gave me a promo box to house the Anglagard 2 live albums that I have just bought frm his shop!

If you were in Japan, you would send all of the coupons to the provided address to redeem your box.

I already replied to CDJapan yesterday asking them to point us in the right direction. What is not playing on our side with this promo is the ´Japan only’ aspect of it. But again, let’s be patient, the box will show up outside of Japan somehow.

Eric Weinraub likes this.
  20. Norco74

And here’s CDJapan 2nd anwer. So having them or any other Japanese vendor in the loop would not help to acquire the box. Must find an alternative.

I'm sorry, but I really cannot think of any suggestion, knowing that the record company is absolutely incapable of making any exceptions.

They normally outsource the handling and administration of promotions like this, and they will not be doing anything themselves. So, part of it is their unwillingness to do anything special for any store (they don't want all other stores to request them to do the same), but it is more for this practical reason.

Sincerely,

Name and address withdrawn

21. Eric Weinraub

My next bunch are set to arrive late this week or early the following. I am hopeful to track down a box if possible.

Norco74 likes this.
  22. Norco74

Same here let’s keep in touch through this thread!

Plan B for me is to find any relative/friend living in Japan by whom this whole promo thing can go through.

MartyTem likes this.
  23. Eric Weinraub

What I am curious about is how many boxes Sony made compared with the number of these discs that went overseas.

24. Norco74

Interesting question... Perhaps only 6 of them were made and they all ended up in Fukuoka...

Seriously, the answers received from CDJapan are below normal expectations from a customer service deparment. You would think that a large eStore such as CDJapan would have some influences over their suppliers... or at least provide you with better instructions to move forward with your request.

I managed to reply back with a mention about some Ebay ‘practical business concept’ freelancer intent to provide you with the promo box.

25. Eric Weinraub

My package from CDJapan just arrived. EMS does a fantastic job ... I ordered on Friday, which was really Saturday afternoon in Japan, and their shipment took 3 days. I was most interested in opening Wish You Were Here. Sony really did a fantastic job.

Norco74 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.