Pink Floyd - Pulse - DVD or Laserdisc?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seastman, Aug 21, 2017.

1. seastman

seastman New Member Thread Starter

Which format will deliver better audio quality? Picture quality isn't a concern since I never sit and watch concert films.

I've heard the concert was originally recorded to tape and am wondering if the audio on the Laserdisc was sourced directly from that or converted to digital at some point.

Another benefit of the Laserdisc would be that it can be seamlessly placed with the rest of my Pink Floyd LPs.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

2. bloode

bloode Changing my name to 'The Revealer' this summer!

Wow. Sorry I don't have an answer, but you think someone would. I have just received my VHS in the mail - still sealed - and am playing it for the first time and it is head over heels better than the DVD. I find VHS to be comparable to vinyl at best. I don't know anything about LD, but if it does better than the lossy DVD quality - even at the higher bitrate playback offered on the DVD - then you'll be happier going that way.

3. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Forum Resident

DVD is 5.1 I believe, if that is a factor for you. Also includes a lot of bonus material.

4. E-Rock

E-Rock Forum Resident

For 2.0 stereo audio, the laserdisc of PULSE beats the DVD, hands-down.

Laserdiscs utilized uncompressed LPCM 2.0 audio at 16-bit/44.1kHz resolution - identical to redbook CD. I bought the PULSE laserdisc new back in '95 and it sounds fantastic in stereo - very much like the CD version. The DVD of PULSE, however, does not include an LPCM stereo track...only a lossy Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo track at 448 kbps.

In it's favor, the PULSE DVD does include a dedicated 5.1 mix of the show in Dolby Digital 448 kbps AND 640 kbps (the maximum allowed for DVD). So if listening in surround is your preference, the DVD is essential.

Some laserdisc players featured dedicated digital outputs (either coax or optical), so when paired with a modern outboard DAC, you can usually achieve excellent "CD-quality" stereo sound from the LD format (when the audio is mastered well, as is the case with PULSE).

RangerXT and Sevoflurane like this.