Pink Floyd - PULSE rereleased on vinyl - official

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mestreech, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

I didn't think the original was more than 140 or 160 gram. Only audiophile labels were doing 180 gram in 1995.

2. filson9

filson9 Well-Known Member

I confirmed on my precision scale now. The 1995 original pressing is 180 gram. (178.9)
    They really tried to do the best they could with this release at the time. Cds had almost killed vinyl, so this was a very niche product. According to what I read, only 5000 were made.

3. Bigdz68

Bigdz68 Forum Resident

I must be one of the few who got three of four LPs with scratches. It looks like a small rock was inside the sleeves or I just received defective box. Cleaned them on the VPI and the clicks are quite audible. Nice flat set and quiet for the most part minus the scratches.

4. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Just looked at mine. They do feel heavy but look on the thin end of some current '180 gram' pressings. It's not something I listen to enough to duplicate. I'm sure this was originally AAA. I had a real problem getting 4 clean discs with the original and after returning a couple copies got this one as late as 2000 at normal retail. I suspect there were more than 5000 if stocks lasted that long and given from experience there were a lot of dud discs. Vivante (the seller) I remember sent me a couple replacement discs for this so initially out of 3 I tried they all had serious flaws.

chaz likes this.
  5. AlexC

AlexC Forum Resident

cheapest price right now on AMZ France: 88e

6. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Is this a limited set, my funds are low but should this be my next purchase.

7. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

If your intent is to somehow get this set, I wouldn’t wait too long as everything gets OOP rather fast and without notice nowadays.

The question is how long PF Records plan to reprint the current vinyl catalog.

black sheriff and tinnox like this.
  8. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

I just got mine for Father's day and playing them now. They sound amazing. Soundstage is expansive and detail/imagery is incredible. I was hesitant since I own the CD's and these were not cheap but well worth the asking price. These are much better than the CD version. I'd put these towards the top of the Grundman re-releases we've seen in the last 2 years.

9. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

mine still hasnt shipped from soundstagedirect lol
    i sent a 2nd email today. no response on the first. if i dont get a response or shipping notice next week. then i think paid with paypal. thank god so i can demand a refund. if i had paid with my card then i would have had to call my bank or something.

i will never ever perorder from them again. no matter the price.

funny thing is they sent an email newsletter the other day saying the are going to start striving to get better and faster with orders. I hope they do get their act together. But i'm out.

10. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

It really is mind boggling that they’ve come to operate this way at SSD. They have to realize they’re losing customers right and left. It really makes me wonder if they’re about to fold. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see the ceasing operations notice. They did eventually get me the Pulse box but unfortunately I have several more sets I’m waiting on. Heaven forbid you get anything defective. Imagine the return process.

For what it’s worth, Amazon has this set priced at $80 now. It really does sound fantastic so it’s worth getting from somewhere.

izombie73, Szeppelin75 and pinkrudy like this.
  11. PsychedelicMike

PsychedelicMike Forum Resident

Got this email from SSD:

I was able to confirm that Pulse is available. However, we still have a backlog with our distributor and it may be a few more weeks before the item can ship. We will continue to keep your order open unless you request otherwise.
    We are in the process of making big changes here at SoundStageDirect that will improve many aspects of your customer experience, including the time frame for order shipments. Thanks so much for your patience!

Found a copy in a shop and am canceling my order.

pinkrudy and Derek Slazenger like this.
  12. mikehbkwm

mikehbkwm Forum Resident

Ordered mine from Amazon the other day and received it today.

13. varyat

varyat Forum Resident

So did I ..and got it for $80 :righton:
    Seriously, SSD is a complete waste of time......gave them so many chances due to promo offers but they are just not worth the frustration..
    ATB,
    Mark

Catcher10 and izombie73 like this.
  14. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

Thread jump in. I just got the box a week ago and have been to busy to listen to it. If there are an QC issues I want to be aware of them now.

Thank you all very much...

Side note I saw this concert with my youngest brother ( he was a little guy just 7 years old ) and to this day he is still a PF fan.

black sheriff and Szeppelin75 like this.
  15. izombie73

izombie73 Forum Resident

I got mine from SSD and just like your experience they gave me a great price with a sale discount ( I got mine for $75 ) but after a month of non receipt I had to get with them to see WTH was up. Order shipped two days later and I did eventually get it.

16. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Played my copy of Pulse last night again and just wanted to say this is a fantastic reissue, I picked it up at Amazon for $80. and is worth every penny, I just checked Amazon and is out of stock is this a limited set or are they just waiting on another shipment.

17. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

There's a long thread over on the VPI forum complaining about recent issues with them too. They were charging peoples' credit cards in full upfront for turntables and then not delivering and not responding. People have had to dispute charges with their card companies. Appears SSD is going under... Best to avoid them.

18. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

They already are under. Big thread about it if you search here.

19. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Thanks for the heads up.

20. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

They are? That's too bad. No mention on their website.

21. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Under?

22. Echoes Myron

Out of business.

Leonthepro likes this.
  23. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Value gonna rise big time?

Also was it ever discussed and concluded which sounds best between this and the 90s one?

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  24. Echoes Myron

Sorry, we got off topic talking about soundstage direct.

25. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

My copy arrived today, $81 from Amazon. It's such an amazing package.

groovelocked likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.