Pink Floyd - PULSE rereleased on vinyl - official

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mestreech, Mar 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Just found s used complete 2cd set for $2 which sounds mighty fine.

aphexj likes this.
  2. mikizee

mikizee Forum Resident

3. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

Looking at the price I guess you’re talking about Pulse ?

4. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Sorry if I missed it but out of curiosity is there any comparisons between the original 95 vinyl and the reissue ?

jslcaballo likes this.
  5. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Still no comparison!! SAD!

Opeth likes this.
  6. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Yes. I haven't been able to bring myself to open it yet. It looks so nice and shiny in the shrink-wrap!

ODShowtime and groovelocked like this.
  7. tinnox

tinnox Senior Member

The real prize is inside !

theshape and zinan like this.
  8. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

I did it. How cool are those inner sleeves? As an admitted sucker for nice packaging, this might be the nicest I own. All 4 records perfectly flat and quiet as well. I'm exceedingly happy with this purchase. Anyone who is on the fence... my advice is to snatch it up while you still can. Amazing!

9. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I bought a copy today and so far so extremely good. I'm on my second LP and it's flawless. The packaging is great too.

10. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Strictly curiosity for me, I am amazed how insane the reissue sounds. The original cds were all I listened to up to that point. My good buddy has the original pressing and the reissue and claims the original is better. However his system isn't as resolving as mine to put it nicely.

I will have to do a comparison soon when I borrow the original.

Jonpd and ptijerm like this.
  11. razorball

razorball Forum Resident

Twenty one pages later, one good news!

12. jslcaballo

jslcaballo Oh the ritual when I lay down your crooked arm

Any update? very happy with my reissue but curious to see how the original compares

13. Opeth

Opeth Forum Resident

Haven't had time yet, I will this fall probably as things slow down and there's more time.

jslcaballo likes this.
  14. jslcaballo

jslcaballo Oh the ritual when I lay down your crooked arm

Sounds good. Thanks!

15. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If the original sounds better on a crap system it likely will be more so on a decent one. Original was AAA. It does sound good but it's not something I listen to in preference to PF studio albums hence it came out earlier this year for first time since around 2000.

Opeth likes this.
  16. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

I don’t believe the original Pulse was AAA. It was QSound processed, which is a strictly digital (dsp) algorithm, as far as I know, and hence could not be AAA. Would love to be corrected by someone more in the know...

black sheriff likes this.
  17. Classicrock

QSound Analog Audio Processors

18. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

Yes, I see that they have produced analog chips to apply the phase shifting effects for use in consumer electronics. But, my understanding is the albums mixed with QSound (Pulse, Amused to Death, Broken China, etc) had to be processed in the digital domain in the mixing phase as there was never actually an outboard analog device produced for studio applications.

I truly am curious about this and would love for someone with studio/mixing experience with QSound to chime in. (I realize the number of people with first-hand experience may be limited as there were less than 100 albums mixed with QSound processing.)

19. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

So, i finally sat down and listened to this. I've had it for months but only heard it on headphones when I first got it just check if it was fine and played perfect.

Well, today i put it on my stereo and....It's not as good as i hoped. First, the volume is too low making it sound too tame. I don't want an earbleeder but also not super tame. 2nd is the mix, gilmour's guitar doesn't stick as far out as i wanted to. I actually want to say the 5.1 on the dvd does this album more justice audiowise. 3rd, is the echo. I know it was an arena show but if the mix was a bit dryer and not as echoey it would be much better.

It don't sound horrible but it don't sound fantastic either. to me.

20. Classicrock

I think phase shifting / processing of instruments may have involved digital processing but the recording remained in the analogue domain. Unfortunately I don't know how the system actually was applied. Being familiar with 3 of these titles at least, they don't sound a bit digital in sound. At this time the limitations of 16 bit digital would be obvious in the overall sound. AMTD and Pulse have some of the best 'analogue' sound on record. Certainly the mixdown was to analogue tape. BTW the reissue (remix) of AMTD while sounding excellent was done with hi-res digital (I'm referring to the original LP).

21. markmck79

markmck79 Forum Resident

This statement seems to be a non sequitur. My knowledge of QSound processing comes third-hand from someone involved in the reissue of Amused to Death; but my understanding was the digital step was inherent to any title that uses that process (and thus calling Pulse "AAA" is quite inaccurate as it went through an A/D/A phase in mixing). I'm afraid I'm getting pedantic so I will leave the discussion at that, unless someone with direct knowledge is willing to wade into these waters.

22. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I thought James Guthrie just used the QSound mixing technique to replicate in stereo the surround-type sound effects only, not on the whole mix. The analogue-recorded drums and vocals wouldn't have been affected

But Gilmour has been using digital in his guitar signal chain since 1979 and of course all keyboard patches (and electronic drums) have been digital in Pink Floyd since 1987, so "true AAA" is impossible to begin with...

black sheriff, c-eling and markmck79 like this.
  23. Classicrock

I would have thought AAA relates to the recording and mastering process not to digital instrumentation and effects. Digitally created sounds recorded and mixed to analogue tape and cut to vinyl I would still call AAA. If you are that pedantic little recorded since 1975 would be AAA.

Macman007 and marcb like this.
  24. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I'm not, but the people who think a few moments of QSound digital processing on a few tracks of sound effects mixed in among the analogue tape spoil the Analogue All Wave Ethos, they are

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Key word...MIXED.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.