Pink Floyd re-releases listed on Amazon, coming 11/10 and 12/01

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by xXFloydianXx, Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall Thread Starter

Browsing Amazon US, I discovered some sort of Pink Floyd re-releases coming up, some to be released on November 10, others on December 1st. Not sure what they are. They're also listed as imports.

Any ideas?

Edit:

Endless River for example.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  2. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

3. jlf

jlf Forum Resident

4. floyd

floyd Senior Member

Must be those Japanese Mini LPs, linked above. Two waves each about 10 days after the Japan release date

5. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

Why are they putting these out if they're just the 2011 remaster. They should have made them SACD/Platinum CD sets and remastered them from the UK analogue tapes like they did with The Rolling Stones and Dire Straits.

6. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Agreed, collectors however love the packaging done with these. They'll sell and that's the point...
    These aren't marketed for me, especially with the 2011 mastering's :laugh:

7. floyd

floyd Senior Member

First, you sell the regular redbook CDs with the special packaging, then you come back through and resell them with the special packaging AND a special disc (SACD or Platinum CD.)

To be honest though I think Pink Floyd may be keeping a tight control on what SACD or mastering will be released. They probably want to do the SACD themselves - When is The Wall SACD coming by the way???

8. aoxomoxoa

I bet they never release sacds. Ever

9. floyd

floyd Senior Member

I hope you are wrong.

They did do Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here. The Wall is supposedly in the works. Roger Waters has released a few SACD titles, In the Flesh, The Wall Live in Berlin, and Amused to Death so at least the format is on their radar. I worry you may be right though.

10. aoxomoxoa

It's been a while since they have and the last one was done by a boutique label. I seriously doubt it.

11. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Can I just add here something I said on another Floyd thread: I wish they’d reissue the three Immersion boxes in packaging that matches the dimensions of the 65-72 boxes. No marbles, no scarfs, just content. €40. Done!

12. They Call Me M

They Call Me M Wall History Nerd

According to James Guthrie, The Wall SACD is in the works. Unfortunately, it's been in the works for several years, so I'm not too optimistic at this point. There is a 40th Anniversary coming up, though. We can hope....

The Wall was one of the albums that was recorded on the crappy Ampex tape that they found degraded fairly quickly. It was discontinued after a couple of years, I believe. My hope is they've at least made a good digital transfer of the multitrack masters by now. That tape stock is not getting any newer....

13. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The first one they released was issued as a standard CD release. Most people who purchased it didn't even know it was newer technology. I think this why they went with Analogue Productions. Might as well make some money and give it a different packaging. Whether they will or not, who knows. If the master for a DSD download, they might as well make a physical copy.

14. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I wish someone could sue the crap out of 3M or whoever is responsible for that and get a settlement and use it to restore all the messed up master tapes. What a disaster.

15. eyeCalypso

eyeCalypso Forum Resident

Not enough money in the world for reparations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.