Pink Floyd "Relics" re-release on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eyeCalypso, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

should have issued a limited run for RSD

dkmonroe likes this.
  2. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think Julia Dream too. For fake stereo they sound quite good.

Flaming Torch likes this.
  3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Want to make sure I am understanding this release correctly. All songs are stereo with the exception of "Arnold Layne" and See Emily Play", which are mono, correct?

4. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

That's correct. "Julia Dream" is not fake stereo on any copy I've encountered, just the two Syd-sung tracks on Side One

scotti likes this.
  5. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks, wish those tracks were back to back so some of us do not have to switch from mono to stereo twice during one side. Not that big of a deal, just would have been easier...ok, I will stop playing the violin...ha!

6. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

I mean, "Interstellar Overdrive" does not sound bad folded down to mono either (although the true mono LP mix is better)

7. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I don’t know why you would bother flipping back and forth between mono and stereo for Relics. So there is fake stereo? That’s Relics... that’s the way it was made. Just listen to the album for what it is the way it was intended to be heard.

You want the ‘real’ mono tracks? Then listen to something else.

JimSpark, garrincha, Mbe and 2 others like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

What kind of response is this??? Because two of the songs are done in mono and if you have the proper system, you can get the true mono sound by switching to a pure read...are you serious?

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm dead serious. My understanding was that the two mono songs were put on the album in fake stereo, they were not put on as true mono. If I've misunderstood, my mistake.

scotti likes this.
  10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Ok, now I understand your comment, but I do not think these are fake mono, never really heard the term fake mono before, I believe theses are the mono single transfers, but heck, I could be totally wrong...anyone else have anything to add?

I misread your first post, so please understand my first response...

lucan_g likes this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Lucan_g, I think what you might be referring to is Duophonic, which took mono recordings and for lack of better wording, turned them in to re-processed stereo, which is fake. In the sales info for this release, it list those singles as the mono mixes, which now I'm not quite sure what they mean by that...but hoping they are just that, mono. I do not think they would include these in a fake stereo format, at least I hope the heck not.

Thanks for your response!

lucan_g likes this.
  12. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I really don’t know what we are getting. All I know is that I worshipped this album growing up...and am looking forward to getting a clean copy. Biding My Time has some of the fiercest Gilmour out there!

eyeCalypso, ODShowtime and scotti like this.
  13. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, I'm kinda surprised that Piper was the one done for RSD and not this. But I suppose comps are still desirable for more casual fans.

14. dkmonroe

I suspect that this LP will have only true stereo and mono mixes. I'm pretty sure that the previous CD releases (starting with the 90's reissue with the model on the cover) had true stereo and mono.

scotti likes this.
  15. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

The original starline cover is so weird. Textured but very thin. Flappy. I'm glad mine came with one of those weird thick plastic UK album sleeves. It's a strange release but it's great. I also have an 80s green label Capital that sounds great too. But I'll be picking up the reissue since I have all the rest (up to Animals of course).

andrewskyDE and Man at C&A like this.
  16. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Just checked some more. These are indeed mono mixes and not reprocessed for stereo like they were on the original UK vinyl release. They have done an outstanding job with all of the Pink Floyd reissues that I have heard, putting way too much care to offer reprocessed stereo. That is exactly why it states "Mono Mixes" used...

lucan_g and dkmonroe like this.
  17. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Just listened to side 1. As usual with these Floyd reissues it sounds fantastic. It’s now my go to version

18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

The album has been in print on CD and downloads for over twenty years, plus (apart from the live versions on Dramatis/ation) it's still the only place to get "Biding My Time" so it's wise keeping it in print
    That's been the case for this album since it was remastered in the '90s. Fake stereo sucks, I don't know why on earth the likes of the Beatles, the Who, the Small Faces continue to remaster those awful re-channeled mixes in the 21st century

scotti likes this.
  19. dkmonroe

Point taken, but I don't think that these LP releases are going to be as "in print" as the Cd's from 20 years ago were "in print." I think the LP's get one press run and when they sell out, that's it unless they decide to re-release them again. But I suppose that remains to be seen.

20. spondres

spondres Forum Resident

So has anyone from the Floyd camp explained why Biding My Time (studio version) is not on The Early Years?

21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Where is there fake stereo on Beatles albums since 2009?

scotti and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Seriously, they do?

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Relics was reissued on CD a few times, the latest one is the pressing under the PFR label, brought out in 2016. (IMO) No need to include 'Biding My Time' on the Early Years set.

24. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I recently ordered this off discogs from someone in Australia, where it was originally released. It is on its way. I always liked this cover and ordered a copy based on that! Sorry in advance for threadcrap, but has anyone heard or own this and would like to comment on SQ or how much duophonic is on here? (I like duophonic on occasion, when it sounds good, like Smiley Smile)

25. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Nowhere, but Capitol Albums Vol. 1 & 2 came out just before that in 2004

Small Faces deluxe CDs and the Who's half speed Meaty Beaty LP have fake stereo all over the place

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.