Pink Floyd "Relics" re-release on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by eyeCalypso, Mar 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Awesome to hear! Just got my copy and will be firing it up later after I throw back a few cold ones and such! Just cleaned it, textured cover looks great and the vinyl nice and flat. My son sent it to me for my birthday, so will be an extra special listen!

M2225 likes this.
  2. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m really pleased it had the textured cover. Shows the attention to detail that has been paid to these reissues

3. john lockland

john lockland Forum Resident

Never heard the studio version of Careful with that axe, Eugene as good as this!

4. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

This may be a stupid question but it's all in stereo still, right?

How does Paintbox sound?

5. john lockland

john lockland Forum Resident

Paintbox sounds splendid as well. Full and round sound, to my ears.
    Arnold L and See Emily are mono. The changed the text «Ø The tracks are mono recordings electr. reprocessed to give a stereo effect (...)» to «Ø Original mono recordings.»

Man at C&A likes this.
  6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Not sure I'm reading this right? These are mono, not reprocessed stereo versions of these two songs...that's what you are saying, correct?

7. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Yes that’s correct

scotti likes this.
  8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Playing mine now -it just arrived. It sounds gripping to say the least and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. I’ll be offloading my two original copies (not in the best shape).

For another poster, surprisingly, it does not have the Starline label reproduced.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Ah, incidentally, for those interested, the Ø symbol lives on on the rear of the sleeve to indicate that the two tracks which used to suffer in processed stereo, have been replaced by the original mono recordings.

10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Thanks! It's not the best looking label anyway. The Pink Floyd Records label then I presume?

11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Thanks, just woke up, no coffee yet. Incredible night of listening to music! Had a chance to really crank up Relics last night and did they ever hit this one out of the park! Never heard the last minute or so of Interstellar Overdrive swoosh back and forth with such a cool sound. And to hear Arnold Layne and See Emily Play in glorious mono, well worth changing my system from stereo to pure mono to capture the true greatness of these classics!

All I had before is "Nice Pair" vinyl and a Japanese mini sleeve of Relics. This has got to be the best Relics has ever sounded! Performance - 11, Sound - 11, what a birthday present!

Nice feedback from fellow members!

oldjollymon likes this.
  12. JimSpark

JimSpark I haven't got a title

Relics was the first Pink Floyd recording I owned which had "Arnold Layne" and "See Emily Play." I probably ended up hearing those songs 100 times each in reprocessed stereo before I ever heard their original mono versions. I've never felt those songs suffered in their reprocessed stereo forms. Either version is equally enjoyable to me today.

Perhaps if I had heard them in true mono many times before hearing the original Relics versions, I'd feel differently, who knows.

Zongadude and tages like this.
  13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, but not like any of the others that I have in this contemporary series.

For example, "A Saucerful of Secrets" reproduces the original British Columbia label perfectly.

Man at C&A likes this.
  14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I’ve never heard an original. My current copy is a U.K. repress by Music For Pleasure. I think it’s from the 90s and don’t know the source but it sounds very good. I may have to check out the reissue as well at this price. Has anyone compared these two pressings? I’m kind of doubting anyone has.

15. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I’ve spent the last hour comparing an original and this new release. The new release is the one.

oldjollymon, sonofjim and scotti like this.
  16. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It’s nicer looking than the Starline label

Man at C&A likes this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Most things are! The later MFP one is even worse.

Colocally likes this.
  18. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The Starline label was ever-naff. See also "No-one's Gonna Change Our World".

19. Charlie Z.

Charlie Z. Forum Resident

"Eugene" alone is worth the price of admission.

20. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

Yeah Eugene is excellent. The whole record sounds great. Perfecto vinyl too.

scotti likes this.
  21. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

This is pretty cool, from 2011 but Pink Floyd on Facebook just shared it on Facebook.

22. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

It originally was reissued in 1978 but stayed on catalogue until the early 1990's having a copy of it here and if yours is like mine it'll be cut by the great Harry T Moss.

23. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

I picked up a European MFP for €5 yesterday, it was a big tatty but after a run through the spin clean plays as a very solid VG+

[​IMG]

oldjollymon and c-eling like this.
  24. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I have just played the new Bernie Grundman cut for the first time. I have UK A-1/B-2 first press and a later A-3/B-5 Harry Moss cut and this is indeed just as good as or better than either of them. It is a clean, noise free pressing, too.

But, my copy has a fairly annoying undulated warp and is either pressed off center or the warp is making the arm wobble side to side.

How are your pressings? Are they flat and centered? Thinking about taking a chance on another copy - it is that good a sound.

25. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I have all three copies you reference and I agree the new one stands up to the UK pressings. It's hard to decide which to spin when I want to hear this album! My reissue is pretty flat, these Floyd cuts are known for some warping but you should be able to do better. This may be the best of the reissue campaign.

oregonalex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.