Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarbershopRaga

BarbershopRaga Forum Resident

I agree that a purely analog, valve-based effort would have been the ideal (along with a tip-on sleeve) but I’m still pleased as punch with what we have. I really do think what we have is the next best thing and really gets you 90% of the way to a mint condition mono pressing from ‘67 for far, far less than 90% the going rate. In terms of the mass and purity of the vinyl used, it may actually be superior, which is wonderful.

I do find it odd that some folks have little to no regard as to artistic intent in the mono vs stereo comparisons but I also understand some people like to form a preference on the basis of playback presentation alone. Hey, whatever floats your boat.

Meanwhile, we should cross our fingers for a future Saucerful mono pressing that bests the flawed original.

It’s within reach.

2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Actually, you can. The lyrics in the Piper 40th edition aren't all correct. For example, they list "No fear, you can't hear me" in Flaming, where clearly the phrase is "No fair." Some of the Lucifer Sam lines seem suspect, too.

That said, I'm not disputing Gromble. Merely the infallibility of those liner notes.

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  3. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Always has been ‘Crumble’ to my ears. The U is pronounced in a very northern English flat vowelled way.

4. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Crrrrrooomble

RobNeil likes this.
  5. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

...yep, like that.

6. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

Like someone from Yorkshire

RobNeil likes this.
  7. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Yes, dead reyt....

8. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

Aye lad absolute beltin

9. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

Lady Grantham of Downton!!

[sorry, dumb American who wanted to join the fun]

Rolltide and ODShowtime like this.
  10. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

I ordered one from Movie Mars about 2 weeks ago from their Amazon store and it arrived today. I know these guys get a bad rap, but it's the real deal and arrived undamaged. Thanks to whoever it was way back in this thread that tipped me off to that!

11. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Movie Mars is how I got my VU Matrix Tapes. Don't remember any issues.

AlienRendel likes this.
  12. AlexDelarge

AlexDelarge Forum Resident

No such luck here, sent it back yesterday....2 smashed corners. Thrown in cheap lp mailer, no cardboard inserts or bubble wrap. Not happy...:realmad:

13. Received my copy a couple days ago and here's how I'm experiencing it at home:

Easy-E, quattroatl, Hattipper and 3 others like this.
  14. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Has anyone compared this to a flawless 1967 copy of the album? I've listened to it now and it's basically the 2007 CD on vinyl IMO. Cool packaging and all but not something vastly different.

15. quattroatl

quattroatl Forum Resident

That sounds great!

16. katstep

katstep Professional Cat Herder

Is this based on an A/B test you did between this vinyl and the CD?

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Not even close to "basically" IMO.

18. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Really why? Yes I've listened to both and they both came from the same digital transfer I've read. I think someone is going to argue about how it has more "headroom" or something along those lines. I get that but beyond that I really don't think it's some audio revelation.

Question still stands though - has anyone compared this to a flawless 1967 copy of the album? I know it's an expensive album but I'm definitely curious to hear what someone who owns an original copy thinks of this. Maybe there's something online?

Last edited: May 30, 2018
  19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Where did you read this?

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Because this was EQ'ed for vinyl and sounds different just by the nature of the medium. It sounds warmer with more detail and more bottom end. IMO there's a distinct, not subtle, difference between the mono CD and new LP.

Zomvid, Easy-E, Rekkerds and 3 others like this.
  21. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Perhaps folk on here could help with this. I played the 3rd disc of the 2007 Piper 3cd set last night. My question though is did the stereo piper cd in this set get remastered again for the 2011 reissue which was repackaged in 2016 (and was released last year as a great mini lp sleeve from Japan)?
    I have the RSD mono and think it is a very fine reissue. I do not have a vinyl 67 mono Piper though to compare.

22. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Movie Mars sent my Piper Mono Lp in the same way. As soon as I saw the LP mailer all bent over on one edge, all the way to the vinyl. I knew it was going back. Sure enough, the LP outer packaging was totally damaged. I requested a replacement, received a free return mailer with no hassle, as the purchase was thru amazon. The return was approved as a replacement, I had my doubts, after seeing Movie Mars jacking the the price up on amazon to $49.00 after I had just paid $36.00. To make a long story short, they did not send a replacement, they did refund my money. This is the last time I deal with them, their vinyl packaging sucks big time. Now I'm in search of a another copy. :realmad::realmad::realmad:

23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

As pointed out upthread, reasonnably priced copies are now fairly plentiful on Discogs.

24. John D.

John D. Senior Member

My post was more of warning to others about as noted seller, regarding bad shipping practices. At least two of us have already been burned. Not too sure I would receive a copy in good condition, shipping from across the Atlantic Ocean either. US sellers on Discogs are really putting the gouge to buyers on this title.

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That’s because there aren’t many US copies for US sellers to sell.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.