Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kendo

kendo Forum Resident

This mono version really is very good! :)

beatleswho, Hattipper, scotti and 3 others like this.
  2. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

:cheers:

Hattipper and scotti like this.
  3. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You bet it is! Have not played it since my first couple of listens after RSD...your post makes me want to fire this baby up, have a couple of cold ones and a cool bud to enjoy the sweet sounds of the classic late 60's with one of the greats!

kendo and alx7 like this.
  4. alx7

alx7 Forum Resident

There's just nothing like it! Rock on!

scotti likes this.
  5. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

In case anyone is still looking for this, I stumbled upon a store that was selling it at retail. I just ordered a copy, and I asked them if they had more and they said they still had a few copies left. Definitely jump on this if you're still looking out for a copy!

Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn (RSD 18 Limited Release) - Pie & Vinyl Online

They also had a few other RSD items left in stock. Very friendly chaps to deal with as well. I still haven't gotten my copy yet, as they have just shipped it, but thought I would share the link for those interested.

6. beatleswho

beatleswho Forum Resident

This realese is fantastic! The record sounds amazing and the mono mix is stellar. Like it a lot more than the stereo. In fact now i appreciate the album a lot more. More rocker, more vivid, more solid.

zinan likes this.
  7. RobNeil

RobNeil Forum Resident

Its one of those albums that I've only relatively recently 'discovered' the mono version of, having always gone for stereo as a more naïve listener...same also with those Beatles albums. All were like hearing the albums almost for the first time again.

With those albums and Piper, I'd never be able to definitively say the mono was 'better', but I would say it was well worth owning both the Stereo and Mono versions...

Agreed that this release of Piper is very good indeed.

8. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I tried and i tried to ignore this album with having a mint stereo copy (nice pair)
    But with having a Ortofon 2m mono for a spare TT coming in a few weeks i gave in (resistance is futile)
    Just ordered one off Pie and vinyl here in the UK :D, should come tomorrow or Friday
    Hoping it sounds good with a dedicated mono cart instead of playing it with a MC stereo cart

scotti likes this.
  9. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You should be very impressed. As long as you have a dedicated Mono switch on a 2 Channel pre-amp or a Mono cart. you should be pretty amazed. Heck, it even sounds good if you are playing it through just a normal stereo set up. But there is no doubt a noticeable difference when you go true Mono.

10. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

Naah, went the proper route via mono cart :edthumbs:

scotti likes this.
  11. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

12. mogambotek

mogambotek Forum Resident

Just got mine in from Pie and Vinyl yesterday! Can't wait to spin this baby. Just goes to show that with a little patience, most RSD releases can be had for retail price.

Speaking of Juno records above, I ordered the Wilco RSD release from them at retail price, however, their shipping mailers are so flimsy that the LP reached me with the cover in very bad shape. It had some huge rips and dents in it. I thought the records would be goners but luckily they survived. Shame about the cover though.

Luckily my Piper Mono arrived in perfect shape. I know what I am doing this weekend!

13. Scarberian

Scarberian Forum Resident

Amazon Canada now offering a mono Piper in original type sleeve, with a release date of April 20 2018 for $24.39 CDN.

To all you flippers out there, the bubble just burst.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2018
    murch likes this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Wishful thinking. This was expected. The unique sleeve will mostly hold its value because it’s...unique and collectors care about that stuff. And $30 or $40 extra is hardly a bubble.

15. Scarberian

Scarberian Forum Resident

If I'd gotten the extras for the record store day price, yeah, its nice and all. But $40 buys another LP.

16. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

If it was cut with a stereo tip there won't be a sonic difference between a cart or mono button.

17. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

The record's sleeve actually states you'll get better results with a stereo cart.

OptimisticGoat likes this.
  18. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I'm glad the folks who missed out on RSD will get a stab at this.

Rekkerds, rontoon and Electric Sydney like this.
  19. Mugrug12

Mugrug12 The Jungle Is a Skyscraper

I wonder if that's also an admission that a mono button shouldn't even be used on this one. Maybe they weren't confident the two channels are exactly synced? That seems unlikely though since it's a digital master.

20. SCOTT1234

SCOTT1234 Senior Member

This doesnt mean it's a general release for the mono lp. Still described as the rsd limited pressing and you might have a long wait to get it. But it's a good price, so well worth ordering.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Ok, but that’s you. It doesn’t mean the “bubble is going to burst”.

22. steviebee

steviebee Always playing Ese and The Vooduu People

Yes, I've had a couple of creased corners with Juno. Their record boxes are definitely not rigid enough (left em feedback saying so) - certainly won't withstand some postie throwing it around like (I imagine) a frisbee, which is what both my boxes - and corners - looked like.

Assai in Scotland - now they really know how to pack a record!

23. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

the description makes it sound like it is the RSD with the additional cover and poster.

"Pink Floyd / The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn. Label : Pink Floyd Records PFRLP26 (Columbia 19075819911). Format: Vinyl LP. Limited Edition, Mono, 180 Gram. Date of Release in USA : 21 April 2018. Record Store Day exclusive of 6000 copies. Original sleeve and vinyl come in a de luxe special packaging with exclusive poster."

24. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

I’m pretty sure I am still seeing the RSD release in b&m stores locally.

25. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

This sounds way better IMO when using a pure Mono source, tried it both ways and for my ears, I prefer Mono.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.