Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

I'm seeing "Usually ships within 1 to 2 months".

2. Jachay

Jachay Forum Resident

If anyone in the greater Toronto area is still looking for a copy, Ric's Recollections in Mississauga did have a copy as of last week.

3. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

Same here. At least two stores still have copies at retail price. But from the numbers pressed something like this was to be expected once the heat died down.

4. marka

marka Forum Resident

Thanks, I just received two copies from them, and also bought the Humble Pie RSD release, only available from that store.

mogambotek likes this.
  5. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Picked up a copy today in Delft, Netherlands at VelvetMusic for €35 (about $40) and they had two left in the store. I was too late purchasing this on RSD in the States but figured I could get it when I came to Holland on vacation in August and I was correct. Now I just have to wait two weeks until I get home to listen to it.

longdist01, RicZ and ODShowtime like this.
  6. RicZ

RicZ Forum Resident

Hope you like your holiday here in the Netherlands.
    I also visited Delft and the Velvet music shop last friday.
    A really nice record store.
    I did notice they had a large stack of 2018 record store day releases.
    Didn't notice the Piper one, maybe it was sold out by the time I was there, but then I wasn't really looking for it as I already got my copy from the Velvet store in Leiden back then.

Did you also visit Plexus aka het platenmannke?
    The big store a bit further up the same street.
    I never faill to find something there. a great shop.

landerstnkb likes this.
  7. landerstnkb

landerstnkb Forum Resident

Love the Netherlands!!! I was with my Dutch wife (who has absolutely no interest in records or crate digging) and only stopped into Velvet because they had put two albums aside for me (Pipers and Pink Flag by Wire). I saw Plexus but didn’t have the time to stop in. I plan on hitting a couple of record shops in Leiden tomorrow, including Velvet. I’m hoping they have Wire’s 2018 RSD Nine Sevens. Fingers crossed.

8. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

I’m late to the game but just bought this great Pink Floyd Piper at the Gates of Dawn RSD mono and see what all the hype is about. Yes, the packaging is lovely, but / and on this forum it’s all about what’s in grooves. I’m only to track two, Lucifer Sam, and the Floyd sound like a four man rock band! Immediately the drums stand out. Powerful and rocking. The keyboards and bass too. On my previous copies of this classic, both a clean orange label Tower and the Nice Pair version, the stereo focuses on the Syd sounds, at least my ears had focused on him. I really love this and highly recommend it to anyone on the fence.

9. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Great. But when you find one in a US store, please do let us know.

10. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I have a nice pair that i am used to, and this mono version but have not played it yet
    Is it better than the stereo nice pair version in your opinion

11. breakingglass

breakingglass Forum Resident

Hey PJC

Since you’re asking today, I’m really digging the mono. Fueled largely by a recent Beatles haul that included original mono Parlaphone copies of Please Please Me (no, not “that” original copy) and Help! along with the recently reissued mono vinyl of The White Album, Mono Masters, Rubber Soul, and Revolver, in that order of acquisition. I see you’re in the UK, so maybe not as huge a deal for you, but I grew up with the Capitol (and VeeJay) counterparts. I’ve also been playing some original press mono Otis Redding this week. Otis Blue sounds so good.

As for “better,” they’re ... different.

Like with its ‘67 cousin, Sgt Pepper, the mono mix for Piper was carefully crafted while the stereo mix got much less attention. Of course you’ll find proponents of both mixes here and elsewhere. You’ll also find that some prefer the mono for some songs and the stereo for others.

A Nice Pair uses the UK track listing, as does the RSD mono reissue. Again, I’m used to the US Tower order. A Nice Pair also inexplicably uses the Ummagumma live version of the opening track. So there’s that difference, in addition to stereo / mono.

Here is a discussion of some more differences

View topic - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn In Mono... Amazing! | Neptune Pink Floyd

There are also countless threads on this here SHF extolling the virtues of the stereo or the mono.

As an aside, I saw a “VG visual, VG+ playgrade” original UK mono Piper go for over $300 on eBay this week.

The final answer will be yours when you listen to your mono Piper tonight! I hope you enjoy it as much as I have.

alx7 likes this.
  12. Allan

Allan Forum Resident

I generally agree with your description, except the UK Nice Pair uses the original stereo Piper version of Astronomy Domine and sounds much better to me. So its a different animal than the US Nice Pair.

E.Baba likes this.
  13. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I just played this for the second time. What a nice, but perhaps unnecessary package. It sure isn't DSOTM period PF. Interesting, though. I remember getting a Capitol Records sampler in the '60s with "Astronomy Domine" on it.

14. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

You remind me of Bowie playing "Young Americans" nonstop to Lennon: "Yeah, it's a great record. Bur do you have anything else we could listen to?"

Your insistence on "The USA has gotten too few copies" is right now beyond tiresome. Listen, the USA might have gotten too few copies but the USA also got the internet. Vinyl can be ordered online. Even "rare" or "elusive" titles like the RSD mono "Piper". :evil:

E.Baba likes this.
  15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Any word on a wider release of this mono Piper? I'm in the US....Sorry in advance if this question has been answered.

E.Baba likes this.
  16. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I tried ordering this but amazon.ca cancelled it saying they can't get it from any of their sources so I'm guessing it must of been some kind of mistake to have it up in the first place.

17. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Nope, hasn't been mentioned yet unfortunately.

18. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

I just picked it up, i heard it sounds great, are there any thoughts since it has been out a while now

19. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Still enjoying mine -- my only (perhaps invalid) complaint is that the mix of "Flaming" sounds crowded and muffled in spots. That could just be my ears of course, though I think the stereo version is much clearer and allows one to pick out the individual instruments in the mix. Again, my 55-year-old ears could be the culprit here. I'd be curious to know what others are hearing.

ODShowtime likes this.
  20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

How about you tell us?

E.Baba, Marko K, superstar19 and 3 others like this.
  21. Christopher Lauher

Christopher Lauher Forum Resident

hahahahahhahahahahhahahah i would but it is still in the mail, i will as soon as i get it

marcb and uzn007 like this.
  22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Record Store Day is about promoting people going into stores not shopping online. I would have liked to go into a store and pick this up and not have to pay resellers costs plus shipping.

RocketUSA likes this.
  23. RocketUSA

RocketUSA Forum Resident

I'd like to see a hi-res version of this show up at HDtracks, etc.

rnranimal, rontoon and jslcaballo like this.
  24. Mr_Vinyl

Mr_Vinyl Forum Resident

Did you get it finally? I remember you mentioning a copy for $25 or so on Amazon. Was it the ''good'' one?

25. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

No, the order was eventually cancelled and my money refunded. It was a good gamble for me to take, but wasn't to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.