Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

The couple of recent half-speed mastered LP's that I have bought recently both sound great and were very affordable so if it's "marketing BS", I have another helping. Results are what matters.

Vinylsoul 1965, Big Swifty and jimhb like this.
  2. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

My US version is a Wally master...but yes, it doesn't sound very good. Not sure what to attribute that to, exactly.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Conversely why do so many not bother putting time and effort into it?

Perhaps he does it because it’s his now claim to fame? Did you know who he was until he jumped on the half-speed mastering train?

My real point is you act like this would be some otherwise unattainable sonic nirvana without Miles Showell and his 1/2 speed mastering. The real news is the team doing this work have, by and large, done superb work on the PF reissue series and there is little reason to think Miles Showell and his 1/2 speed mastering would make any substantive improvement (and quite possibly would be a step backward).

But if it’s a no sale for you...great. That’s one more copy out there forvsomeone like me.

4. tables_turning

This has been my experience as well. I'm quite satisfied with the results.

dkmonroe likes this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Those Ebay sellers are always exaggerating the prices of RSD vinyl LPs as long as those are not released yet.
    It also happened with the Interestellar Overdrive '66 record last year and obviously with lots of other RSD stuff as well.
    So, I'd say let's wait till we're reaching the official release day(s) and the prices surely will go down there.

rontoon likes this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Wow, a couple of recent half speed masters. Big sample size. I’ve got dozens that sound meh. Not sure if it was the half speed mastering or not (although I do believe it is inherently flawed), but it sure means half-speed mastering isn’t a sonic panacea. That’s my point - which the 1/2 speed fanboys seem to be missing.

7. tables_turning

It's not a "no sale" -- but it's a version that would be nice to see. No one can say for sure (myself included!) whether or not it would be a marked improvement over existing versions until it happens, yes? It's all speculative until then, and I get that. But why not try, and put the matter to rest one way or the other? :angel:

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Of course he would. He did that (through no fault of his own) crappy Exile On Main Street from a digital master.

Look, I’ve heard some very good work of his, however it’s mostly due to the sources and his mastering. I think the half-speed mastering part is just marketing BS.

Back to Piper mono....

9. tables_turning

:tiphat:

rontoon likes this.
  10. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Why not try?? I just explained that.

11. dkmonroe

Did I say I was conducting scientific research? I was just giving my opinion. Now that I think of it, I've got the half speed mastered MFSL LP of Sticky Fingers and that isn't great, but that wasn't done at Abbey Road by Miles Showell. So I'm perfectly content to say that half-speed mastering doesn't guarantee a perfect LP, but I like what I've heard of Miles' work, and if he were to do Piper, I'd buy it.

Now maybe that's enough arguing about something that isn't going to happen anyway.

tables_turning likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The mono Piper and Saucerful LPs should be released combined with an extra record including all the singles from '67 to '68 chronologically.

goodiesguy, woodyfan, jmczaja and 7 others like this.
  13. dkmonroe

Now don't say that because they'll do it and it'll come in a 3D Lenticular package and cost $200! I just want a coupla mono LP's that I can get for $20 with a B&N coupon! :laugh:

tables_turning and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. tables_turning

Absolutely, yes. I'd go for that.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  15. dkmonroe

Holy moley, here's the track listing. So much for this being affordable!

1 Astronomy Domine 2 Lucifer Sam 3 Matilda Mother 4 Flaming 5 Pow R. Toc H. 6 Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk 7 Interstellar Overdrive 8 The Gnome 9 Chapter 24 10 The Scarecrow 11 Bike

Plus The Original Mono-Singles: 12 Arnold Layne 13 Candy And A Current Bun 14 See Emily Play 15 Apples And Oranges 16 Paintbox

Plus First Studio-Session, December 1965 (!): 17 Lucy Leave 18 I'm Your King Bee

Plus Alternate Mix, 1967: 19 Candy And A Current Bun

RSD '18 Special Release: Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates of Dawn (Mono)

16. fretlessrich

fretlessrich Forum Resident

Excellent, thank you.

Paully likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Sure, I would too. He’d probably do a good job.

But only here would some folks have a greener grass delusion over Bernie Grundman’s work...

18. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

This is an essential purchase for me. Confirmation we are getting it in the UK too.
    Hopefully it is AAA.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  19. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Indeed, following mono boxsets from The Beatles the Stones and Bob Dylan, I have assumed for some time that there would be a similar set for the Floyd, even if it won't be quite as extensive as those other sets.

A 4 disc set would probably cover it:
    1. Piper
    2. Saucer
    3. Singles and outtakes (eg Vegetable Man and Scream Thy Last Scream)
    4. 65-66 demos

20. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Whhhaaaat?!!

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wait. What!? All included in one 12'' LP?

22. dkmonroe

Check da link - it's all there!

Looks like one expensive package to me.

asdf35 likes this.
  23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Just checked that. This is crazy. I mean, the bonus stuff wouldn't fit on the same LP as the album tracks. That's possibly an extra disc or something!?

dkmonroe likes this.
  24. tables_turning

It is indeed. Quite a bit more than expected initially.

25. dkmonroe

Gotta be at least two disks, or a LP, EP and a couple of singles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.