Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BarbershopRaga

BarbershopRaga Forum Resident

No, hallucalation is correct. I am under the impression they were recording some of their rehearsals. If this was not the case then I’d be happy to stand corrected.

2. Goldy

Goldy Failed to load

Oh, the flipper looks to have heard the voice of reason!

[​IMG]

Frozensoda likes this.
  3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's not important in the slightest really! I like both too.

Alofter likes this.
  4. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

A "true" scarcity? With Discogs alone listing 57 copies?? The trick is to wait.

5. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I think it's funny that loads of greedy flippers will have queued for ages to get these, only to find that it doesn't go for much more than it costs in the shops.

JP Christian likes this.
  6. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The guy at Rough Trade who was restocking the RSD bins yesterday told me that they're still getting new RSD stock, so it's not like every copy is already out there. I can hang on.

7. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Exactly.

Hattipper likes this.
  8. Neonbeam

The thing is, there was absolutely no need to "queue for ages" over here. I walked casually into a record store, Monday evening, and they still had a whole stack of "Piper". All for 29,95€.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. Neonbeam

Same here. I still want two things but I'm going to wait until the weekend when UK stores are listing their inventory. It took me a few weeks to find that Elton John 1970 live album last year. But eventually I found it for retail. Patience is everything when it comes to RSD:evil:

Man at C&A and OptimisticGoat like this.
  10. OptimisticGoat

OptimisticGoat Everybody's escapegoat....

Consider whether in each case you would get any of the product at all but for RSD. I am tipping that in 80% of the titles/cases you would not. It is the scarcity that drives the demand for an otherwise uncommercial product and gets people into record stores. Piper may well be an exception and have a later general release. Same for Springsteen and Cocker - each of which I bought. But it is the fun of the chase that we are all participating in - and that has value.

11. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got mine easily enough too. The two well established stores had almost sold out, one had none and one had two left, they said they had got 40. This was mid afternoon on RSD in Newcastle. The sad thing is the store that sold out were charging around £10 more for it than everywhere else. £39.99. Sheer greed.

There were also two new record shops which I didn't know about. Somebody at a record fair told me about them. One of those had a pile of them and the other had around six.

The people who missed out will get one of these at a good price in time. It's not all that rare or limited. It seems to me that the US didn't get enough copies compared to Europe.

12. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Thanks for posting. Quoted for truth.

psychedelicpiper likes this.
  13. psychedelicpiper

psychedelicpiper Forum Resident

Peter Jenner their manager said the mono mix was THE version, and that the stereo mix was made primarily for the U.S. market. The stereo didn't even come out until a month after the mono. Jenner also recalls Syd mixing the mono mix of "Chapter 24".

14. psychedelicpiper

"Bike" in mono is more psychedelic, and has smooth editing between chorus and verses, while the stereo mix has small pauses where they spliced them together. I listened to the stereo mix again recently, and I think I dislike it now more than ever. It just sounds too amateur.

Frozensoda likes this.
  15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Is there direct quote for that? It was rule to make both stereo & mono mixes both in the UK until mid-68 or so. Also i'm not sure that stereo version came out month after mono mix. Is there firm source for that? No wiki please

16. hallucalation

I can't stand that robotic effect on Syd's voice in mono mix. More or less psychedelic is subjective term

Chris M likes this.
  17. psychedelicpiper

It's from an interview that's in the Random Precision book. I thought you'd be aware of that. And you can look at the release dates yourself, which are also listed in the book. This is pretty basic info.

I personally love the ADT. The mono mix has this Alice in Wonderland purple hazy fairytale quality to it. I can't stand the editing mistakes in the stereo.

rontoon likes this.
  18. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

At this store, on the list you can download, it's listed as being £39.99 so I figured this was some sort of standard price?

Record Store Day 2018 at Pie&Vinyl - Official UK Release List with *Estimated Pricing! - Pie & Vinyl

19. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Thanks to an alert member on this forum I preordered for less than two hundred dollars.

20. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Just received mine. I just can't believe that they did that pretty outer envelope but they didn't reproduce correctly the original flip back sleeve. Why just flip the sleeve on top and bottom but not on the right side like the original issue?

Tuck1977 likes this.
  21. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

And that missing measure from the end of "Flaming" on the mono takes some getting used to when you're familiar with the (slightly) longer stereo version. Bit jarring at first.

22. hallucalation

page 81-83 where discussing release date of the LP - nothing about that. DP gives catalogue numbers for both LPs under the same date. Can you pinpoint page in the book, please?

p.s. on Page 79 Jenner said about stereo for US market. I find it strange that Jenner was totally unaware that most EMI or Decca or... LPs was already mixed to both formats by 1967. It's like saying that Pepper was mixed to stereo to only satisfy USA demand. Nonsense. It was general rule both in UK/US to mix in two formats. Only singles rarely mixed to stereo because they came out by default in mono.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  23. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

The stereo version from 2016 is like this too. I figured they just reused that changing some details?

mick_sh likes this.
  24. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

You're right. I know it's not the end of the world, but still.

25. psychedelicpiper

From what I've read, this was only on the awful 1997 remaster, because they used the U.S. single mix. I've never noticed a missing measure on any of the mono versions I've heard. Maybe I should hear the 1997 version just to know what it sounds like. I can't imagine "Flaming" with a missing measure.

tables_turning likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.