Pink Floyd RSD 2018 (mono Piper)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Mar 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

That has always been my preferred way of listening to DSOTM. I love the sonic images they created. It's easier to "see" them in the dark. :edthumbs:

2. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

I’m just comparing this new mono record to a 24bit flac file of an original mono. They did a very nice job on this one, very nice indeed. It is almost identical.

3. mono.edition

mono.edition Forum Resident

Do you mean James Guthrie & Joel Plante did a different mastering of the 2007?

4. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I agree!

5. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

That is correct.

6. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Most disliked stereo effect from my side occurs at the end of Interstellar Overdrive when the main riff ocuures again. That overmotivated panning drives me crazy. It is such a relief to have that in mono!

7. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

I agree. Oddly enough a lot of people love that and think it's a big plus for the stereo mix. I thought it was cool when I was 14 but now it just seems like a mistake.

8. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

Not really. I read an account where a guy was 10th in line, his store had 6 or 7 copies and sold them all before he got to the counter.

This is 1960's Pink Floyd here, not The Wall or Dark Side of the Moon. Don't tell me all 6 or 7 of those buyers were actually interested in this album. Other than us Syd-era fans and the super fans, the average casual PF fan doesn't give a toss about anything pre-Meddle.

9. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

I thought even including Interstellar Overdrive was a mistake to be honest. Could just do without that and Pow R Toc H and have more of Barrett's pop songs. Would've worked better as bonus tracks years later. Controversial opinion? Maybe :hide: I don't hate these tracks but if I never had to hear them again I wouldn't be too upset.

10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Ironically those two tracks are probably way more representative of the sound and approach that made them underground favorites than anything else on the album!

11. statcat

statcat Forum Resident

Yes, they're good psych instrumentals like Section 43 by Country Joe and the Fish, just think they're better for folks who were tripping. They sort of kill the fairytale feeling for me too.

12. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

I'm not entirely sure but I know that a major Pink Floyd expert on this forum called Vernon Fitch rates this Japanese version too and it does sound much better than my 2007 UK version. He had one for sale a while back as part of a larger collection of ultimate Pink Floyd pressings on CD.
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/the-ultimate-pink-floyd-cd-listening-experience.197499/

13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Correct, I was about to post the same. Personally, I like the diversity. Starting with Astronomy, then fairy-tales, freak-outs and then back to fairy-tales...

14. Tartifless

Tartifless Forum Resident

Got mine today

15. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

From where? Mines on the way from Canada. What do you think?

16. Can anyone measure the poster for me please? I want to stick it in a frame and would like to have the frame here ready for it.

17. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

It's got some pretty gnarly lines running through it from being folded over twice; you might want to rethink that. Probably not worth the frame.

18. That's a real shame, I guess I'll have to check it out once it gets here in that case.

19. Jerry Horne

Jerry Horne WYWH (1975-2025)

Just heard a needledrop thanks to a member here. The sound is better than I had hoped. Good stuff.

psychedelicpiper and jmczaja like this.
  20. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

It’s 15x21 inches but those heavy creases are a real drag.

andrewskyDE, Cardanken and Soundhead like this.
  21. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Well I finally received a copy today from a wishlist, after i had ordered one from Amazon Canada the other day.....i know a fellow who will be as excited as me to have a copy! About to open it up and give it a listen!

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. Sixpence

Sixpence Zeppelin Fan

Very pleased with this all around. Great sound, great pressing and great package to house the album in.

23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

It is a true scarcity in the US...

They aren’t going for remotely near the US price.

psychedelicpiper and Man at C&A like this.
  24. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

No. It's only impossible to get without paying twice of it's retail. That's not the same thing as "scarce".

25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Price defines value, not scarcity.

You can’t go into a US retail outlet and buy one (and mostly couldn’t after about 9am last Saturday) and there are virtually no US sellers on the secondary market.

I’d call that scarce in the US market.

AtlTrav likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.