Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Bummer the film version of Cymbaline didn't make it on to Dramiti/sation. Very different from the album version, much slower.

2. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

I totally agree. I like that one better as well.
    Even more of a bummer is the film version of Free Four with an entirely different verse of lyrics didn't make it on here

Does anyone out there think they named the sets with that slash in the titles just so no one could rip the discs and name the folders correctly? God forbid anyone rip the discs. That sounds far too much like pirating to old farts like Pink Floyd

OK I finally got my hands on the DVD for Dramiti/sation. Just started watching. LMAO at the attempts at lipsyncing with the album tracks because "they can't reproduce the albums live". Funny, they seem to do just fine everywhere else. I like how they don't really even try. Roger plays the guitar parts on the bass. Nick doesn't have his mallets for StCftHotS, and he's tapping the cymbals with his hands even though you hear wind chimes. AND he plays the Saucerful drum rolls on one drum. Awful, yet strangely mesmerizing at the same time. Funny you can hear the actual sounds of them in the film studio mixed with the album playback (you hear Nick's sticks clicking while the drums fade in, and the instruments can be heard ober the Celestial Voices part of ASoS). Rick's hands don't come close to what you hear playing. Really irritating they don't include Point Me at the Sky even though they include an interview that says they just finished playing it

BTW, this isn't a negative review. It is what it is. They're probably supremely embarrassed at this. I wonder how anyone talked them into it in the first place

Question: Is ASoS the only time Rick played a melotron?

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  3. sb33334

sb33334 New Member

Would not surprise me. Its the only band I have seen that has taken 1 show and spread it over 3 pricey sets (Wembley '74).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  4. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I used the front cover from the Wish You Were Here Immersion set, with a bit of judicious editing, and called the full concert album "Ceci n’est pas une Boite."

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I tried out several sleeves related to the Dark Side suite because this was the main performance in the the tours around 1973 and 1974 (plus '72 when Dark Side was still in development).
    And nope, not Piper was the last cover with their faces but Ummagumma was. People know how they looked like because (at least to me) '69 isn't far away from '74,... or 1971 if we count in the innersleeve of Meddle.

soop.broth and turnersmemo like this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

It's actually the same backing track but Dave is singing softer over it.

Wyd Syatt and ShockOfDaylight like this.
  7. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Check out 'Sysyphus' on Ummagumma.

8. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

Interesting, the softer vocals change the whole dynamic of the song.

I suppose the only bootlegged version is taken right from the film, with the dialogue included?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  9. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I was at that show with you,somewhere.I swore I could feel the heat from that explosion.

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I repeatedly watched it, so awesome!
    Unluckily a string was torn on Roger's bass during that one 'Careful With That Axe Eugene' performance. His screams fit very well to that situation!^^

11. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Yes, I was referring to If. And all the other songs sound just fine on the quad, they with bigger arrangements and more sounds to spread across the four channels.

12. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

D'oh! you got me twice there!
    If it were in decent stereo I could likely get rid of that dialogue. This has an idea growing in my mind now. If the backing track is the same then I could possible remove a considerable amount of the vocal from the album version and sync the two. I may also be able to get rid of the dialogue and sounds from the film via spectral repair. Any damage would be covered by the sync. Hmmm...

13. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Talking of the Ummagumma sleeve I've just noticed that on the back we can see what I imagine is the famous van.

Does anyone have alternate shots from this photo session where we can see the white stripe?

14. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

I've seen alternate shots with the instruments laid out differently and different/no people, but none from any other angles

15. And Julia Dream

Wyd Syatt and andrewskyDE like this.
  16. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Where in Julia Dream?

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Right in the beginning, the flute sound is coming from a mellotron.

18. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

That's not a recorder? Get out!

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Real recorders and flutes were played on 'Jugband Blues' (probably Rick), 'Green Is The Colour', 'Party Sequence' and 'The Grand Vizier's Garden' (Nick's then wife Linda, if I remember that name correctly).
    All other stuff is mellotron, these thing usually has 4 'programmes': choir, flutes, strings and brass. Rick used this on some early tracks, minus the choir thing.
    Another track Rick used a mellotron on was 'See-Saw', just came in mind.

20. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Strange, then, that he didn't use the choir for Saucerful

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Haha right, he used the 'brass' programme instead during the first part of the track.
    [Edit:] and 'strings' on that Celestial Voices part.

22. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

I wonder why he never took it out on the road. Maybe it wasn't his.

23. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

Mellotrons are really heavy, fragile, prone to failure (jammed tape), and very, very expensive. Basically, they're a nightmare of an instrument in a live setting.

24. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Yeah I've heard Rick Wakeman, King Crimson and the Moody Blues complain about them a lot. Moodys have a live album with one that's out of tune for a part of it. Still I think the awesomeness of the thing trumps the annoyance

25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The most "rare" instruments they took on tour instead was a trombone and a vibraphone, both played by Rick in their Man/Journey performances. I love the live version of 'Biding My Time' so much!
    I think besides the pedal steel Dave took later for the Dark Side gigs there wasn't any seldom used instrument after that, probably until the wine glasses on his 2005 solo tour (Live in Gdansk).