Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I asked this question earlier. Here is the answer:

2. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Thank you for your reply! So the entire Continu/ation set includes the following, and none of this will be forthcoming in an individual set:

Disc One (CD)

BBC Radio Session, 25 September 1967:

1. "Flaming"‡ – 2.42
    2. "The Scarecrow"‡ – 1.59
    3. "The Gnome"‡ – 2.08
    4. "Matilda Mother"‡ – 3.20
    5. "Reaction in G"‡ – 0.34
    6. "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun"‡ – 3.19
    BBC Radio Session, 20 December 1967:

1. "Scream Thy Last Scream"‡ – 3.35
    2. "Vegetable Man"‡ – 3.07
    3. "Pow R. Toc H."‡ – 2.45
    4. "Jugband Blues"‡ – 3.50
    BBC Radio Session, 2 December 1968:

1. "Baby Blue Shuffle in D Major" – 3.58
    2. "Blues" (BBC September 1971) – 4.59
    3. "US Radio ad" – 0.22
    4. "Music from The Committee No. 1" – 1.06
    5. "Music from The Committee No. 2" – 3.25
    6. "Moonhead" (live on 1969 BBC TV moon landings broadcast) – 7.16
    7. "Echoes" (live at Wembley 1974) – 24.10
    Disc Two (DVD/Blu-Ray)

1. Spare 2 seconds chapter
    • Hampstead Heath and St. Michael’s Church, Highgate, London, UK, March 1967
    1. "Arnold Layne (Alternative version)"‡ – 2.56
    • "P1–P wie Petersilie" Stuggart, Germany, 22 July 1969 – 16.52
    1. "Corporal Clegg"
    2. Band interview
    3. "A Saucerful of Secrets"
    • ‘Bath Festival of Blues & Progressive Music’, Shepton Mallet, UK, 27 June 1970
    1. "Atom Heart Mother" – 3.46
    • "Kralingen Music Festival" Rotterdam, The Netherlands, 28 June 1970 – 10.16
    1. "Set The Controls For The Heart Of The Sun"
    2. "A Saucerful Of Secrets"
    • "The Amsterdam Rock Circus" Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 22 May 1972 – 35.41
    1. "Atom Heart Mother"
    2. "Careful with That Axe, Eugene"
    3. "A Saucerful of Secrets"
    Disc Three (DVD/Blu-Ray)

Bonus CD: Live at Pompeii[edit]

1. "Careful With That Axe, Eugene": 6:45
    2. "Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun": 10:35
    3. "One of These Days": 5:50
    4. "A Saucerful of Secrets": 12:49
    5. "Echoes": 24:56
    6. "Careful With That Axe, Eugene" (Alternative Version): 6:06

3. AWESOM-O

AWESOM-O Forum Resident

I believe the Pompeii CD is no longer exclusive to the box based on official hype for the individual volumes, contrary to Pink Floyd's Facebook post prior to the big box's release. But maybe that's changed (glad for people to be able to get it if so, but also annoyed that it was touted as an exclusive to the box).

andrewskyDE and Sytze like this.
  4. Raf

Raf Senior Member

The Pompeii CD is included in the individual 1972 Obfusc/ation set: http://www.pinkfloyd.com/news/pdfs/EY_1972_Tracks.pdf

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

Thanks for the clarification on Pompeii.

I received the box in the mail. While I appreciate its elegance and aesthetics, it's quite a big thing. And there's lots of "wasted space" inside the box (to accommodate the 45s and prints and such.) The space taken up by the individual sets is modest in comparison. So automatically I'd find it preferable to just keep the individual boxes. As nice as the other materials are, I don't have a lust for the 45s or prints. Nice to have, but...

That said, I'd hate to do without the three discs of material that are exclusive to the box set. I've always fancied seeing More and Obscured by Clouds and to have them on Blu-Ray is pretty cool. Likewise all the BBC stuff.

So what to do?

6. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

And maybe this is "not correct" to do, but could an expert here tell me what "unofficial" sources there are best for the BBC recordings? I know some of it on the box is in mono, while it is actually available in stereo.

7. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

Sources can be listed, but information as to WHERE to get them violates forum rules.

BeatleJWOL and Billy_Sunday like this.
  8. MHP

MHP Lover of Rock ‘n Roll

Thanks for the clarification. Accepted.

9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Note that 'Flaming' from the September 1967 session and the Ummagumma 'US Radio ad' are also available on the 'Cre/ation' double cd.

10. Interstellar Overdrive

Interstellar Overdrive Well-Known Member

If the complete set isn't an option, and with the caveat/proviso that differences in taste and sensibility will inevitably dictate fundamental differences in era preferences even within this relatively delimited time frame (and that can change over time for the individual - I have really gotten into the Barrett era in recent years, but it wasn't always so), EASILY my favorite overall disc in the set as far as breaking down individual years is the 1970 blu-ray. It has the prized AHM quad mix audio (disc with Echoes doesn't have the rest of Meddle) and visual with "holy grail" quality early/classic Gilmour/Wright-driven pre-DSOM Floyd including the more or less singular, unprecedented audience-less concert in the San Francisco KQED studio, as well as the partial sound check, mostly concert footage at San Teopez, both approx. hour long-ish.

Highly recommended article about some of their most epic, magisterial live recordings of the late '60s - early '70s era (some of which are scattered throughout the set) is by Taylor Parkes of the Quietus, titled Careful With That Axe: Pink Floyd Reappraised. I definitely don't agree with everything he says (imo is too harsh on post-DSOM era as being clinical and uninspired), but I'll always feel indebted to it if for nothing else than introducing me to classic liverecordings hinted at in official, authorized releases Ummagumma and Live at Pompei, such as New Mown Grass (I also have a version titled Wind and Seabirds) from San Diego '71 which is my favorite, next favorite Smoking Blues from the 1970 Montreux Festival, as well as Electric Factory also circa'70 and the '71 BBC/John Peel show at the Paris Theatre.

Six Bachelors and Rekkerds like this.
  11. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Annoyingly HDTracks has got the 6 volumes available tomorrow. As someone that bought the entire set on release I'm not impressed at all. I would have liked to have known a Hi Res version would be made available

soundQman and tonewheeltom like this.
  12. shadow blaster

shadow blaster Forum Resident

Hi casual fan here. Just noticed that a song from each of the 6 volumes is available on Spotify. Which suggests to me that they will all be available in their entirety (audio) tomorrow. Anyway I have ordered the Cambridge set, since the Barrett era is where my main interest lies. I might get Germination too further on. The stuff I have heard really sounds amazing. Love In the Beechwoods, such an interesting track.

xTraPlaylists likes this.
  13. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Where do you see this at? I can't find that it will be released on HDTracks.

14. Alejandro Betancourt

Alejandro Betancourt Forum Resident

So happy. Finally got to extract the discrete channels from the 5.1 mix and 2496 Stereo Mix of the 2016 mix rework of Meddle. Listening to the center channel in solo mode is the closest thing to a total mind blowing multitrack experience (for us common mortals)

This is a fresh complement to the existing mix and provides an insight of how a remix is done and produced in 2016, a bit of highs, but... who knows? Have you ever been able to listen to the original master tapes in a controlled environment like an Abbey Road control room? That's something I could only dream of doing one day.

[​IMG]

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

6 Pink Floyd albums are listed as what will appear this week. They've started showing up elsewhere, but not in 96/24 yet. E-onkyo has them at 44/24 and qobuz has 44/16. Surely the HDtracks won't just be 44/24. If so, I have no interest in that.

Luke The Drifter likes this.
  16. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Forum Resident

My order of the Reverber/ation and Obfusc/ation individual boxes is scheduled for delivery tomorrow.

Here's hoping for hidden a Meddle 5.1 on Blu Ray!!

17. MemoInPR

MemoInPR Señor Memo

18. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

19. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

All of them on Deezer, too... Looks like an eventful weekend! :)

20. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

And also on spotify :D:D

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  21. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

So the HDTracks is only slightly less expensive than the actual box, and it is 44/24?

No thanks

22. stereoptic

Quick question, as I am scheduled to receive the 1972 Obfusc/ation set today from amazon.

1) When ripping the Bluray, will I have to update MAKEMKV code?
    2) Is Meddle (and Pompeii) available in 24/96 stereo as well as 5.1?

Thanks!

23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yup. Missing all video content, of course. Really lame way for them to present these. Doesn't make any sense. Creation was issued as 96/24 so we know they were mastered in true hi-res.

24. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

The Meddle 5.1 and high-res stereo mixes are hidden on the Reverber/ation Bluray (from the box set) not Obfusc/ation so I'm just checking whether you have mistyped that rather than ordered the wrong set. No confirmation as yet whether Meddle is on the individual set but scanning Ofusc/ation for Meddle would definitely not yield a result!! I installed MAKEMKV after receiving the Early Years box specifically to rip the Blurays and that latest version worked fine so don't know about earlier versions.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  25. stereoptic

Thanks for that - I am getting both Obfusc/ and Reverber /ation, actually. I can read through the entire thread again, but I thought someone upstream confirmed that it would be on the individual release.