Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

I kinda like the smaller size ,but they do play the same numbers a lot This is the same problem with a lot of Bands ,I like Careful but after this set,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

2. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

Sure glad we are best of friends....let me know when you ship mine out.:righton:

3. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Actually, what is the 'b-side' of the Interstellar Overdrive RSD vinyl? Or is the track split in two parts?^^

4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Some of us were just wondering why the only survived recording from 1966 is not included on Cambridge St/ation.

Bink likes this.
  5. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

According to the Brain Damage site it is a single sided 12".

Curiously, I notice that whilst Brain Damage say it is the 1966 recording, the Fleeting Glimpse site says it is from the January 67 session that was filmed by Peter Whitehead for London 66/67.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Ah, maybe something like etching stuff on the other side?

Well, actually that's correct. For this RSD two Floyd vinyl records will be released: the 1966 'Interstellar Overdrive' vinyl, and a reissue of London 66/67.

Bink likes this.
  7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The 2 different LP releases are getting confused, that's all.
    IO was recorded at Thompson in 66 and was used for Stern's San Francisco 68 film.
    The other release, a picture disc, is just another rehash of the tracks from the film "Tonight Let's All Make Love in London."

JediJoker, Bink and andrewskyDE like this.
  8. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

It's unfortunate that the band and its recording affiliates can't provide concrete info to fans about releases like this. Regardless of record store day (which I fully support) the band should make copies available to folks who cannot travel to local stores for various reasons. Grateful Dead do a way better job of communicating with fans. Maybe not for record store day but in general.

9. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

Unfortunately not happening. With the Early Years release late last year and the Gilmour Live Release happening summer into fall Animals not happening. Its disappointing. I wish Andy Jackson took requests from the fans.

10. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

It is worth the price of a drive and the box set...if you invested in back channels.

11. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

I hoping for some kind of Syd Barrett anthology myself. Starting with the T-Set recordings, and including his work with Pink Floyd and solo, some of the existing tracks that didn't make The Early Years, and ending with a couple of the more listenable 1974 recordings ("Boogie #2", and "If You Go, Don't Be Slow (Version 1)" would be my choices). Then sticking the short bit of Syd at the 1974 sessions saying "Was that ok, or shall we tape over it?" on the end.

BMV, footlooseman and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

I'd love to have it, but I really don't want to have to learn how to extract it myself, in addition to buying an external drive.

13. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

It's not really fair to compare any band's fan communication with the Dead. They are pros-- and have been since the very early 70's. They literally paved the road with fan communication and set a standard that none (with the possible exception of Phish) have matched.

I'd love for Floyd to be more open as well. But I don't expect it...not at this point...

14. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

It is very frustrating. Just like the glitch in Pow R Toc H on Cambridge St/ation that has now been fixed. I sometimes wish I would have waited for the individual boxes and bought Continu/ation on eBay.

15. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

What T-Set Recordings? There isn't any

16. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

sorry to do this but can someone please clarify whether anything within the 6 new releases from last week wasn't already released in the 11CD box last year?

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

All previously released as part of the box.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

cheers

19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Would you mind listing what has been corrected in the individual sets?

20. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Heck, include the entirety of the final session. It's all fairly slight, but enjoyable material.

But otherwise, it would quickly approach a true barrel scraping. So many outtakes have already been released on Crazy Diamond and now as bonus tracks on the standalone albums. Unless they can scrounge up some holy grails, of course.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  21. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

What can there possibly be of musical value left to release by Syd Barrett? If the outtakes and bonus tracks (and, lest we forget, Rhamadan) are anything to go by, anything else would be rubbernecking, and little more than uncomfortable voyeurism into a man's sad decline.

It's far better to preserve the magic, as far as I'm concerned.

22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

They're already barrel scraping, but I like barrel scrapings. The problem I have is their decisions on what to release and what not. A 2010 remix of the standard "Jugband Blues" take is really pointless. Especially while the version as Syd original intended is still sitting there in the vault. Now that would be an interesting track to release. Bike and Candy with alternate lyrics. First single in stereo. This stuff is all way more interesting to me than 30 mins of aimless playing or pointless modern remixes. Also, would be great to have some vintage mixes released for those of us who don't like what they did with the 2010 mixes. I think the official Veg and Scream mixes are downright terrible and so I still listen to bootlegs for those songs. I'm greatly disappointed that this appears to be the last word on the Syd-era Floyd.

23. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

IMHO they really dropped the ball on this set, at least on the audio side.

My disappointment is palpable. You could palp it.

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

In fact there are. Check out the first 6 tracks on the Cambridge St/ation CD.^^

JediJoker likes this.
  25. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

With the same reason you can call them Megadeaths or Sigma 6. This is Pink Floyd.

On the other side i'm very happy with CD 2 (Latham & Stockholm). Their research and level of care for this release is atrocious. While i'm generally agree that they could remix Arnold Layne & add first version of Jugband Blues, i'm terribly happy to recieve 30 minute tape of John Latham. I'm 100% sure that if it wasn't included, we will all would had wailing that they not released it.

Chris M, andrewskyDE and Laservampire like this.