Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I want to hear everything, so I have no complaints when something IS released. But I pretty much figured Latham was going to be something I would have no desire to listen to a 2nd time and therefore would've greatly preferred other tracks with some replay value instead. Of course, if they would just release everything, there would be no problem. :)

2. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

How user friendly is that program? I've got a large library of DVD and Bluray content that I'd like to rip and then burn to different formats. Most important is that I can easily rip mp3/FLAC audio files of 5.1 mixes.
    I'd also like to burn DVD-Audio discs of my 5.1 blurays for my car. I seriously might:drool::drool::drool:listening to The Dark Side Of The Moon on my car stereo in DVD-A. :love:

3. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

Could you please inform as to just where Syd speaks on the 1974 session? Is it between two specific songs? Thanks.

JediJoker likes this.
  4. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

The only time you hear Syd on the leaked 1974 session tracks, is at the end of "Ballad (Unfinished)", when he can be heard saying something like "Can you, ummmm, have you got the chords?". But according the Phil Smee, who listened to all the existing tapes when putting together the Crazy Diamond box, he can be heard at a few other points on the tapes. At one point Syd says something like "Was that ok, or shall we tape over it?" Which Phil seriously considered including as a hidden extra, but decided against it.

BMV, andrewskyDE and JediJoker like this.
  5. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I really don't find it enjoyable. But I'd love them to release the "Millionaire" attempts from '70, which I'm sure someone else wouldn't find enjoyable. At least we'd have a glimpse at that song, though. (And Rick plays on it :))

BMV and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  6. anth67

1968-69 ~ they were really hitting the Em grooves hard in this period. Play the first notes of Song 1, Embryo, Cymbaline, Cirrus Minor, Autumn '68, and Hollywood (which, admittedly, is a Song 1 remake) ~ every one starts with that same chord.

BeatleJWOL and andrewskyDE like this.
  7. anth67

I was thinking the same thing.

8. Jimijam

Jimijam Forum Resident

Or lobby Warner for a free new case and index booklet for the folks that bought the box..

9. xTraPlaylists

Was able to download and run MAKEMKV. Did the 1970, 1971 and 1972 sets. Created them MKVs. They look correct but I have to trackdown a software player to listen to them and a DVD authoring software to make DVDs and mp3s.

I ordered my box through Amazon UK and had it shipped to the US. Came about 3 weeks ago I think. Anyways, mine had the replacement CD and the hidden 5.1 Meddle mix.

andrewskyDE and JediJoker like this.
  10. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

+1, would love to know and lobby for replacements of the affected discs.

Dieu and Jimijam like this.
  11. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Well, yeah. Either they were called 'The Pink Floyd Sound' during these recordings or The Tea Set (sometimes spelled 'T-Set'). But Nick often mentioned the latter in recent interviews.

The first single better should get a stereo remix (if Joe Boyd isn't against it so much). Maybe (or hopefully) the box set wasn't the last word about the Syd-era Floyd.
    Was it officially confirmed that they found the other version's tape of 'Jugband Blues'?
    Also, I sometimes hope that the "deleted" or "lost" tapes of the 'See Emily Play' session, 'She Was A Millionaire' and 'One In A Million' are wrong reports.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Also, 'Breathe' on Dark Side. Actually that chord is always somewhere after 1973 as well. Maybe it's even the right chord to go straight to Prog Rock.^^ For example, it reminds me on King Crimson sometimes.

13. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

As was cleared before Joe Boyd was no against or have any voice for Floyd to remix their first single. He returned his tapes to EMI at the end of 60's and no longer owns anything besides producer credits and royalties for it.

No need to confirming Jugband Blues tape - you can even have number of tapebox in Random Precision. They just don't care or didn't look for this stuff.

BMV, rontoon and rnranimal like this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Okay I re-remember reading that somewhere months earlier. Guess I forgot that for a while.

15. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

"The Court of the Crimson King" is in E minor (i), although the opening chord is D Major (VII). In fact, it goes through two rounds of VII-VI-V before hitting the i.

16. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

My individual sets arrived today.

First up - Atom Heart Mother in quad....

17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

All you need is a blu ray player that can read a .mkv file off a USB flash drive, or off a DVD-R disc. I didn't have to extract anything. I just made a data disc. It plays fine in my BD player.

JediJoker likes this.
  18. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

yeah I got AHM quad, Echoes quad and the Syd set. I can live without the rest. AHM quad is pretty great, especially when you consider how lousy my off-center Harvest pressing was!

Hymie the Robot and jl151080 like this.
  19. anth67

I like barrel scraping, too ~ Syd's '74 stuff excluded (reference material only, IMO). Questions, though:
    * Candy (original lyrics) ~ do we know for sure those vocals weren't recorded over after the initial acetate was made? Remix of this & Arnold Layne (+ a false start or two) would be a treat, regardless. Bring up the drums/bass track in Arnold!
    * Bike (alternate lyrics) ~ alternate tracks apparently exist, which I'd love to hear. But how do we know there are alternate lyrics? Lu-ci-fer-Sam was Per-cy-Rat-catch-er, and Matilda's original verses came from Belloc's Cautionary Tales for Children...those changes are documented. But where does the assumption of different Bike lyrics originate? I'm as intrigued as anyone, just curious how we'd know this ~ because I want to believe it!
    * Jug Band (alternate Salvation army tracks) ~ definitely a missed opportunity when they remixed the song. But do we know Syd actually preferred this horns take over the one ultimately released? It reflected his instruction to "play whatever you want," vs. Norman Smith's charted version ~ but isn't it possible he liked the latter take, too, once he heard both? It's not like he'd given the players something he'd composed for them. I'd like to hear the alternate just because it would be so deliciously jarring for different sounds to suddenly appear.
    I really dig the 2010 remix, though ~ my favorite mix thus far.

20. xTraPlaylists

Is there a way to just extract the audio instead of the audio AND the video using MAKEMKV?

21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I don't know. Someone else made the mkv file for me. The only video on there is a black screen with the names of each song as they go by. I'm sure there is a way though. You don't need to see the screen to play the mkv file. When I play it, I can just go to the next track without needing the video.

22. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

I broke down and bought the 66-67 set. As much as I like Pink Floyd I've found that the stuff they didn't release over the years isn't all that interesting to me, thus I passed on the previous "immersion" sets and what not. I bought this mainly so I could officially own "Scream" and "Vegetable Man" (even though the latter has a horrible mix) and Syd video content. Looking over the other sets I don't see anything else that I feel strong enough about to own (though I have taken a liking to the "Zabriskie Point" music).

Anyway, I did a quick scan of the new product. Very nice package. Lines up real nice next to my "Piper" 40th book thing. Nifty paper things inside. Video quality quite nice, though I was mildly upset that they didn't use the original audio for "Jugband Blues". Syd's gentle vocal is very touching and kinda sad on the original audio. What's also sad is seeing the switch between the bright eyed boy singing "Astrony Domine" and the vacant stare of "Jugband" and American Bandstand.

I'm glad I held off and didn't buy the whole motherload, because I really don't need this much Floyd. The 66-67 set will do just fine.

23. jonboy71

jonboy71 Forum Resident

Is the RSD 12" release the one you eluded to a few months ago?

24. anth67

If you like the Zabriskie stuff, seriously consider the '70 set. Audio disc 2 is a great selection of that stuff, and only repeats one recording (Unknown Song) from the movie soundtrack. And the BBC Embryo on disc 1 is almost like having a studio version of the expanded arrangement (if you like that piece ~ the '69 studio version is almost a demo by comparison).

And, yeah, the difference between the chirpy guy unfazed by Hans Keller and the catatonic guy staring through Dick Clark is pretty heartbreaking, indeed.

BMV likes this.
  25. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

There seems to be some nasty distortion towards the end of 'Chapter 24' on the Cambridge St/ation blu ray, just based on my first spin.