Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, it is.
    And you read about it here first. :tiphat:

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

And that goes for the USA, too, right??

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, worldwide release.
    4k LPs pressed.

Hattipper, anth67 and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

If what you're trying to do is create audio discs, my recommendation is to use MakeMKV to decode the blu-ray discs and then to use DVD Audio Extractor to, as the name implies, extract the audio. I use that method to create hi-res FLAC files. Without knowing what system you're hoping to play these back on, I can't be more specific than that, but it has worked a treat on pretty much anything I've thrown at it.

JediJoker and andrewskyDE like this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Try Free Studio Audio Converter. Import the *.mkv there and you can choose any audio format you want out of the converter (wav, mp3, flac, etc.)
    Though I'm not sure if this works for surround (quad and 5.1) audio, too.

6. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

4,000 LPs? Guess I don't have the chance getting one copy...

CusBlues likes this.
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Thank you!!

CusBlues and rontoon like this.
  8. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

Do note that DVD Audio Extractor does not decode DTS-HD MA, only the core lossy DTS stream. I still use a combination of MakeMKV and DVD Audio Extractor to get useful music files off of Blu-rays so encoded, but it goes like this and involves two more apps (Mac):

1. MakeMKV to backup the disc.

2. MakeMKV to make an MKV of the desired program from the backup, converting DTS-HD to FLAC.

3. MKVtools to extract the FLAC stream from the MKV file.

4. DVD Audio Extractor to extract a FLAC file plus cue from the desired program using the backup.

5. Replace DVDAE FLAC file with MKVtools FLAC file, renaming if necessary.

For what it's worth, the stable version of Cog( 0.07, r635) does not like to play the substitute FLAC file using the cue sheet. It will play linearly from the top of the first track to the end of the list just fine, but will crash if attempting to skip within the track or to select another track in the list. So, depending on what you use to play back the file, this adds another layer of complexity:

6. XLD to convert the FLAC/cue into some other format.

XLD reads the FLAC/cue just fine and works as expected. Even "converting" to a single file plus cue with no other changes produces a cue sheet that Cog can read more correctly (though not perfectly).

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
    Runicen and The_Windmill like this.
  9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Do I get a Masters Degree, if figuring how to do all of the steps in that process?:winkgrin:

bobcat, anth67, Runicen and 1 other person like this.
  10. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

When you mention the original audio for Jugband, do you mean the one for the BBC version?

11. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

Thank you! Damn it, I love the melancholy vibe space that song inhabits.

12. JediJoker

JediJoker Audio Engineer/Enthusiast

It's all pretty straightforward... I'm sure you can Elbow your way around to the desired result. ;)

13. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I have no experience doing any of those steps in the process, but glad you provided the information and maybe there are YouTube Clips to show how to do all of those steps in the process. I have no 'Great Expectations' but maybe I will marry someone who can do it and if she cannot do it, it will be 'Grounds for Divorce'. I plan to eventually get these Individual Boxes(if Amazon UK does not drop back down to around 220 Sterling Pounds again in the next month).

14. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

When you make your MKVs, do you highlight all the check boxes for audio under each "title"? Some of them have DTS-HD and 2-channel stereo.

15. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Just check the audio you want.
    If your using a PC, load the mkv in Audiomuxer and output to flac or wav. Much better tool than dvd audio extractor and it is free, but it only works on a PC.

If you plan on playing back the mkv, then check the boxes for all audio tracks and then choose the audio when you play it back, stereo or 5.1.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. xTraPlaylists

xTraPlaylists I bring order to chaos.

Thanks! :righton:

CusBlues likes this.
  17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The BBC cut of 'Jugband Blues' was used in bootlegs for that footage. Originally the promo clip had an own audio track which is lost since decades. Reportedly it was an early mix of the released studio version.

Nick Dunning, BMV and CusBlues like this.
  18. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Really pleased I bought the Big Black Box, So glad I did not wait for the individual sets, I'd be extremely pi**ed off if I'd waited and missed out on the hidden Meddle, that was the icing on the cake for me..

CusBlues, Hattipper and Simon A like this.
  19. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Someone in Amazon posted this about the 1965-1967 volume:

(...) and this new version of "Vegetable Man" is obviously a different take piled on with a barrage of backing tracks, and it's pretty lame compared to the most awesome cut that I've been listening to for years. It was fine to include this take, but where is the other one?
    "Vegetable Man" is definitely, without a doubt, a mix of different tracks from a different take. I am a professional musician who knows this music well enough to score it and I used to perform this song in a Floyd tribute band. The average listener may not be able to tell the difference (...)

:sigh::rolleyes:

20. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Huh, what !!! methinks that guy is confusing VM with something else...

21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The mix is radically different, pushing the backing vocals to the front and smothering Syd's lead, but I don't hear any different takes in there. Syd's lead is the same. I guess maybe some of the backing vocals could've been lifted from another take, but I doubt it. I haven't compared that closely. I just think it's an awful mix.

Chris M, CusBlues and andrewskyDE like this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Personally, I think it's the same performance too.

23. BlueTrane

BlueTrane Forum Resident

Don't you just love the appeal-to-authority arrogance? :laugh:

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, I didn't want to dwell on that, but it's hard to ignore it, ain't it? :laugh:

Meddler and CusBlues like this.
  25. Good thing that never happens around here!!!!

bobcat, The_Windmill, Maurice and 7 others like this.