Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

Thanks!

2. pernod

pernod Forum Resident

On the Smoking Blues RoIO only the last three songs are from the November 21 show: Embryo and the two Blues numbers. All other songs are from the November 22 show, including AHM.

anth67 likes this.
  3. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

On saturday I bought the Cambridge Stat/ion box set and really enjoy it !!! DVD / BluRay is nice with all the old stuff in (mostly) excellent quality.

jl151080 and Sytze like this.
  4. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Great info, thanks. November '70 was such a strong month, performance wise, glad it's represented on the box with such a sweet band-only AHM.

Not sure I've heard another version where they progressively slow the tempo for the entire second/final go-round of the main progression ~ not just the last few chords. Seems spontaneous and intuitive. They were so locked in by then.

5. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Had a listen to Pompeii 5.1 over the weekend. The audio is pretty fatiguing but I quite like the panning, placement and ambience.

The distortion/static in the right channel(s) is really extreme though. I don't understand how it made its way to the stereo and surround mixes unless either it was a product of the transfer of the source material (in which case the transfer should have been redone), is on the multis (in which case they haven't been looked after properly) or is the result of problems with Andy Jackson's equipment or the mastering engineer's equipment (in which case I would have expected right channel distortion on other material on this set and I don't hear it.

The quad Echoes is hilarious. So much panning. I guess they were experimenting with quad and were throwing everything at it, including the kitchen sink. It was refreshing to hear the additional parts that didn't make the stereo mix too.

anth67 and Sevoflurane like this.
  6. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

The new 5.1 Echoes is rather less wild than the quad, for sure.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  7. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Re-reading this, I'm inclined to think the first letter concerns a practice only that might not have been recorded at all (just a guess though). That might explain why 'Let's Roll Another One' hasn't been released; maybe it just wasn't recorded.
    The 'King Bee' letter does mention the recording of five numbers. Which were the other four? While Syd states they recorded five tracks, both Mojo and Nick Mason mention a four-song session. Mojo says 'King Bee', 'Butterfly', 'Lucy Leave' and 'Double O Bo'; according to Mason they were Bee, Bo, Butterfly and... 'Let's Roll Another One'. Forgetting 'Lucy Leave'!
    Very well, but that leaves 'Remember Me' and 'Walk With Me Sydney'. Only Syd mentions the first; Mason doesn't rank 'Sydney' among the demo tracks.
    My guess is that of the six EY tracks, only 'Sydney' wasn't part of the demo (loosely based on the Mason interview).
    But who knows for sure...

Luke The Drifter and anth67 like this.
  8. Sputnik

Sputnik Member

About the BBC sessions: what happened to the December 20th 1968 session? The songs featured at that session were:
    - Let There be More Light
    - Set the Controls for the Heart of the Sun
    - Point Me at the Sky
    - Careful With That Axe, Eugene

Same as with the April 3rd 1967 session:
    - Arnold Layne
    - Candy and a Current Bun

Apples and Oranges were also played at the September 25th 1967 session.

I guess the tapes are lost or the sound quality wasn't proper.

Source: pink-floyd.org

9. anth67

The Dec' 68 & Apr '67 sessions above are believed to be lost. Have never surfaced in any quality, to my knowledge (unless some super secret society of snobs is holding on to them).

Apples and Oranges wasn't actually performed on 25th Sept, or at all, alas. The studio single was included in a November rebroadcast of that session.

Kim Olesen likes this.
  10. Sputnik

Sputnik Member

Thanks for the information! :righton:

11. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

"Have never surfaced in any quality".... apparently they have (discussed and explained somewhere earlier in this 266-page thread.)

Reportedly, the team behind the Early Years box were alerted but - for whatever reason - they, regrettably, did not reach out to the person, or persons, who own the better sources.

And so we got what we got on the bonus disc.

12. anth67

Are you sure we're talking about the same sessions? This was a Dec 20th '68 session (as opposed to Dec 2) and an April '67 session (not the Top Gear ones from Sept & Dec).

13. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

No, not sure.

anth67 likes this.
  14. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Dec 68 is exist in private hands or BBC (partial recording)

anth67 likes this.
  15. andrewskyDE, Vincent3, bobcat and 3 others like this.
  16. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Some video favorites with unique audio, in stunning quality(!):

Instrumental Improvisation (Tomorrow's World, 12 December 1967) - this is the earliest known version of what became Careful With That Axe Eugene, imo... It's more guitar-oriented here, and purely instrumental; other early instrumental versions include the Committee soundtrack and Murderotic Woman.

Instrumental Improvisation (The Sound of Change, 22 March 1968) - another strong moody instrumental, with a full ambient break, it sounds like some of the Committee soundtrack work the following month.

The Man/The Journey rehearsal (Royal Festival Hall, 14 April 1969) - it's great to see Rick playing trombone--laughing, he seems confident--and pipe organ, figuring out the stops. Describing the show itself, Waters said "We were rehearsing", which would make this a rehearsal for a rehearsal.

An Hour With Pink Floyd (KQED, San Francisco, 30 April 1970) - Glenn Povey's book shows 28 April(?). For me, this includes some of the best versions of songs they played the night before--or the night after--at Fillmore West, especially Atom Heart Mother and Grantchester Meadows.

17. anth67

According to Povey's revised book, this audio was actually recorded in a studio and mimed for the video. Making it a studio recording that I wish they'd have included on the Germin/ation disc! Even if the original master wasn't available.

18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I bought much music today, including the 1970 box Devi/ation (and the 2016 vinyl reissue of Wish You Were Here). Gonna check out CD 1 and 2 of the box tonight.

19. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

You have bought idividualny 1970 box Devi/ation? Please, check as the final of Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast (Atom Heart Mother album original 4.0 Quad mix 1970). BD from a big box doesn't allow to listen to this track up to the end.

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Yes, the individual volume. As I read, some errors were fixed for the 2017 releases.
    Coincidentally I'm listening to the Quad mix of the Atom Heart Mother album on bluray right now (track 'If' at the moment).

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

While I'm listening to the quad mix of AHM I just realized (or got the solution) why Side 2 of my German vinyl copy has this unusual sound: it's an error pressing!
    The stereo vinyl contains the normal stereo mix of the title track, but Side 2 includes the quad master by accident!

anth67 and zinan like this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Just finished listening to the quad mix. Indeed the reported 'early stop' error in the end of 'Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast' is still there...

23. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Many thanks for your answer! Very annoyingly that there is no correction of a mistake. Grief.

Kristofa, Dr. Mudd and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Eh.... "The Endless River" doesn't work as a standalone album - it works better when you mix the tracks between TDB songs.

There's a fan mix called "Forever and Ever" that does a stunning job of this, and it makes a LOT more sense.

siveld, RPOZ51, Baidur and 3 others like this.
  25. Bogies4

Bogies4 Forum Resident

However the "music" is there. If you rip the quad tracks from the blu-ray or DVD, the complete track is present. Must be an authoring issue that placed the end of track flag at the 11:59 mark. So it is available but need to rip it and play it as a flac file or what ever your file preference is