Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

David has been involved in all of these archival releases. Same with Nick. And they share everything with Roger. While they are not reviewing the releases to see if the song on the blu ray ended early these releases are the business of Pink Floyd. While I wish the technical issues for The Early Years were non existent in some ways it is enjoyable to hear about them. End of the day for those with funds enjoy the releases. A lot of my friends who really enjoy the band don't have funds for these releases.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  2. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Forum Resident

I have to say, these two albums make much more sense when heard this way.

From the same people who reworked a Delicate Sound of Thunder into a full show, BTW.

TheLazenby likes this.
  3. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

Yeah - hearing that one TER track as the middle section of "Poles Apart" makes SO MUCH MORE SENSE.

That would've made that song so much more enjoyable than that out-of-place 'nightmare carnival' section.

siveld and RPOZ51 like this.
  4. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

Did he draw up the original plans for the wall in inches rather than feet? Pink Floyd's The Curb!

5. redflag

redflag Forum Resident

I've been listening to Dramatisation pretty much daily. The audio content is great! The video stuff is cool, but I'm honestly only going to probably watch it a few times.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Roger may have been out of line with his comment but I really don't think that Polly's credentials are reflected in her Pink Floyd lyrics. I'm sure her books are excellent, but as a lyricist she doesn't hold a candle to Roger. IMHO of course.

soundQman likes this.
  7. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Few do.

Jimijam and dkmonroe like this.
  8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

My point was that she's a far cry from David St Hubbins' groupie/wife as referred to in Roger' s quote.

9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

"She's not my wife, alright?" "WHATEVER F*** SHE IS!"

Sorry, I had to. XD

rontoon likes this.
  10. dkmonroe

Really, any rock star who starts wielding Spinal Tap references at other people in a critical manner out to be discouraged. It ought to be a Godwin's law for rock stars, unless you'er aiming it at yourself! :laugh:

rontoon and anth67 like this.
  11. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

So that means if you go by the prices for the 6 individual sets on Amazon, that is the lowest price I have seen for those sets, then with you paying $65 for the Continuation Set, that you would need to spend $300 to acquire all 7 individual sets. Amazon UK had a price drop in early March for £218, that I think with VAT removed , came out to about $245 and that included the shipping. You might want to wait it out to see if Amazon UK does another price drop close to £218 again, then buy the Box Set and you can resell your extra copy of the Continuation Individual Set.

I missed out on that price by 1 hour, as was just about to check if my credit card would price match if the box set would have dropped even lower, then all of the sudden the price shot up to a crazy higher price and has not gotten lower than £358 since 6 weeks ago. I think it will drop again though, but I bought the 1972 Individual Set, that lead to buying 3 of the other Sets, 1970, 1969 & 1967. I looked over the Continuation Set, and did not see is as needed unless I could buy it for $30 or less, as 2 of the films are in French, so nothing I would ever watch since I do not speak that language, and I already own the 1967 BBC CD that had been available the past 3-4 years on Amazon through secondary sellers(I had also bought the BBC CDs for 1968-69, 1970, 1971 and DSOTM that included the 'Echoes' version from Wembley). I have the 'Moonhead' song that is on the 1968-69 BBC CD, and doubt the sound quality is any better on the CD in the Continuation set, but I do like the song.

I am still debating if the 1971 & 1968 individual sets are worth getting for $36 each when there is just 1 CD and 1 Video(double up of Blu-Ray & DVD that is my major gripe on these individual sets, as it makes them overpriced by $10, as I think they should have made these sets with separate options where we could have chosen CD/Blu- Ray or CD/DVD, but guess I will keep the DVDs as a back up in case any future problems withe Blu-Rays). There also does not seem to be a lot of music on the Blu-Ray/DVD for the 1971 set, but maybe I am mistaken on how much music is actually on it. The other sets with 2 CDs and Blu-Ray/DVD(actually one of these sets, 1970-Deviation has 2 DVD discs), seem like a bette deal at $40 per set(although 1970-Deviation is closer to $44).

So, it looks like based on Amazon Prices, I would be spending about $235 if I do buy the remaining 2 individual sets to complete the collection minus Continuation Set. If anyone sells it it for around $25-$30, I will buy it though despite the movies in French Language being of no use for me.

So back to my original point, even though you paid a steep price for the Continuation Set at $65, you might want to still hold out awhile before buying the other individual sets, and see the Complete Box Set on Amazon UK drops again to £225 or lower. They had Lightning Deal in January for only £177, so some lucky people bought it at that price.

12. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

If you've already got all the BBCs in good quality, and as the individual '71 set won't have the surround mix (the crux of the biscuit for some, though I still don't have the technology to play it myself), I'd go Germin/ation. The video content crushes the '71 competition, IMO (though I love it all), plus you get the never heard songs "Roger's Boogie" and "Song 1." Neither of which is on the Cre/ation compilation ~ unlike "Nothing Part 14" from Reverber/ation.

This, if you decide you'll spring that much for at least one of them. At which point, I can only hope you love "Roger's Boogie" as much as I do :D There is some difference of opinion on that one.....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
    TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  13. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Pricing thread:

Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Pricing & Shipping ONLY!

14. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks for the link, but I had followed that thread on a regular basis and that is where I saw the price drop to £218 in early March. That thread has been inactive for several weeks now since Amazon UK has been stuck around £358 price for the box set, or even higher at times, so I just check the Amazon UK page in recent weeks for that item, but started to get the Individual Boxes, as the price is good, and decided that while having the 7th Set, Continu/action would have been nice and worth paying around $245 for the entire box set, I can live without it as mentioned in my prior post that having 2 films in French language do nothing for me and I already own the 1967 BBC CD along with the version of 'Echoes' performed at Wembley. The Video in the Continu/ation looks good though for the music that is included before the movies.

15. anth67

Flaming ~ Piper & BBC versions

I've always heard the high harmony as Roger. Other opinions?

Relatedly, I've always wondered what song Syd & Roger were singing together in that early photo inside A Nice Pair. Roger is really belting something out. Obvious guess would be Stethoscope?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2017
  16. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Don't know, because I never thought about it until you brought it up. But an interesting question!

17. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

Anyone know if the early ending error on the Atom Heart Mother Quad will be fixed? Anyone have an address to ask for a replacement disc? This error is inexcusable!

anth67 likes this.
  18. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

The replacement disc service for the 2 defective blu rays worked great. Not sure who folks can contact. Maybe Warner in the US. Does anyone have an updated list of all defects/errors for the entire box set? Very surprised based on the great work and resources the band dedicated to this project.

19. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

I don't remember a source of this information, it is possible it has been written here at a forum in November:
    Andy Evans say: If anyone is having any technical issues playing any discs, please email details [email protected].

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  20. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  21. dkmonroe

Question: Are the Blu-Rays/DVD's for the UK versions of the individual boxes suitable for US equipment?

22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yes.

andrewskyDE and dkmonroe like this.
  23. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

My wife writes lyrics for my band sometimes, so... well... hm ;)

Roger is a great lyricist but he walks in circles thematically. David and Polly are both good but not excellent lyricists, "Louder Than Words" being one of their weakest efforts, IMO.

I listened to "Forever and Ever" and as much as I enjoy it, I prefer the original albums. Some bits and pieces:
    - as much as Surfacing fits in Poles Apart, breaking up the final section of TER destroyed my favourite part of that album.
    - the carnival section may be out of place in Poles Apart (although it never felt so to me), but without it "The rain fell slow..." just does not the same power (and I love this moment as well as the whole fragment until the end of the song, PF at their absolute best!)
    - the first section (until Poles Apart) is too upbeat
    - I line the idea of incorporating fragments of the "Pulse" soundscape
    - listening to the compilation reminded me how much I love the sound of these albums
    - the extended Allons-y 1 is great

Kalli and revolution_vanderbilt like this.
  24. anth67

Record Store Day tomorrow!

Kalli likes this.
  25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

From Pink Floyd:

"The 11 min (?) interstellar you sent us is going to be used for ‘vinyl day’ or what ever it’s called (33rpm 7” I think, single sided).

As such:

A/ thank you!

B/ you are credited (for archive research). What do you want? Ron Fleischer? Rontoon?"

I chose my real name. Nowhere to be found on the credits. Wankers!

[​IMG]