Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Nick plays what is needed, and always with good taste. Part of the Floyd magic was keeping things simple when necessary.

andrewskyDE, Kalli, Merman and 3 others like this.
  2. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I wanted to quickly ask which volumes have 24Bit content available on the DVDs?

3. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Instead of laying down a solid rhythm, Mason seemed to follow the band. He's not a metronome by any means.
    I would agree that this is exactly what suits this music. That's why it works. Can you imagine a drummer like Kenny Jones playing with the Floyd? It wouldn't work.

4. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

I would. One should not mistake technical proficiency for musicality.

I would describe session drummers as 'serviceable', almost by definition. As I stated (p)ages ago in this thread, it requires brilliance to come up with something like the ride pattern and what follows in "Echoes" after the seagulls part. "Astronomy Domine" would also lose its atmosphere with any other drum patterns. Even when he is almost silent ("A Pillow of Winds"), what he does play is quite excellent. Nick Mason is the drummer that PF needed to sound like PF.

In general, I don't mind drummers not keeping time that much if the band manages not to keep time along with them :D

Frozensoda, soundQman, Kalli and 8 others like this.
  5. van1

van1 Forum Resident

From 1999, Q Magazine did a 'cash for questions' interview with David Gilmour. Basically fans writing in with questions an interviewer would be afraid to ask

"NICK MASON (PINK FLOYD DRUMMER)? LUCK OR TALENT?

David Gilmour: Hmmmm. (Very, very long pause) We all need a bit of luck to get where we get. Nick made the job his own... and he was the best man for it."

6. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

David Gilmour, ever the Diplomat...:)

7. It's hard to talk about Nick Mason as only a drummer. He really was an equal partner and creative force in terms of developing the concepts, art and music.

8. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Let's not forget that it was Waters and Mason that mapped out the song A Saucerful of Secrets with diagrams with peaks and valleys later translated into music. This is probably the most important, crucial song this band ever wrote as it allowed them to shed their Syd skin while marking the first step into their conceptual evolution towards Echoes and DSOTM.

Billy_Sunday and Kalli like this.
  9. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

From 1999, Q Magazine did a 'cash for questions' interview with David Gilmour. Basically fans writing in with questions an interviewer would be afraid to ask

"NICK MASON (PINK FLOYD DRUMMER)? LUCK OR TALENT?

David Gilmour: Hmmmm. (Very, very long pause) We all need a bit of luck to get where we get. Nick made the job his own... and he was the best man for it."

yeah, I remember reading that back in the day. I think it's true.

lots of people in entertainment - music, actors, authors that this could apply to.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  10. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

My favourite question from that interview:

Be honest. When listening to The Great Gig In The Sky, have you ever thought, oh put a sock in it, you silly cow?
    David Gilmour: Sometimes. Sometimes no. Sometimes yes.
    :biglaugh:

(Always yes for me ...)

11. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

After reviewing the video material I'm not even sure it's Mason who is out of time. I think he was usually following Waters bass and it was Waters who had trouble keeping time.

Just a thought.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  12. Merman

Merman Forum Resident

Ohh f**** the Bedford van is sold out!!!!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  13. Merman

Merman Forum Resident

I hope it´s stock in july, time to see The Floyd Exhibition!!!!

14. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

The Quad mix of Echoes is how this should have been released to the world since 1971. To me it's definitive and the swirling is just what is needed to convey the effects. To me it's also obvious that with the interest in Quad during this period that this is what the band wanted. Too bad in a way that they were so far ahead of their time this classic track in Quad got lost to time.

15. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

Am I the only one that thinks the whale song in the middle of Echoes sounds like Yoko?...

andrewskyDE and Beeb Fader like this.
  16. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

The middle of Echoes is wondrous. In my opinion, Yoko Ono's "singing" doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence.

17. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Yes you probably are and fwiw those sounds are more like seagulls than whales imho.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    andrewskyDE, The_Windmill and lucan_g like this.
  18. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

Every time I import a different version of Echoes into my computer, I always edit out the middle section and turn it into 2 separate tracks LOL! The only time I left it intact was the already edited version from the best of comp...

19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Yes, but I really would like to hear an undoctored original mix of that album. Froese overdubbed it later with newer synths so it sounds wrong, out of its proper period in time.

Meng and Runicen like this.
  20. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Sacrilege!

21. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

As would I, but I still love this album. I consider it an '80s TD album. Most of it sounds like something from the Logos Live or The Keep soundtrack period.

Nothing on it sounds like the instrumentation from the early 1970s TD at all to me, with the exception of Chris Franke's drumming and the sequencer part in Astral Voyager. I think this was the last time we got to hear Franke on a real drum kit. To my ears, Franke and Nick Mason both had a similar feel, the way they played drums.

Outside The Wall likes this.
  22. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Yeah, Yoko is more dolphin than whale or seagull.

Six Bachelors and Deek57 like this.
  23. gingerly

gingerly Change Returns Success

I confess I've never noticed that. Not sure which synths you mean, but it all sounds like modular or Mellotron choir to me.

24. Nasnandos

Nasnandos Forum Resident

Well, all those Solina strings for one are definitely not from 1973. Really, the only parts that sound like they came from 1973 are the drums, guitar, and some Mellotron choir on the title track, and the sequencer in Astral Voyager. Edgar added the rest and remixed everything in 1984. He also completely re-recorded some of it, according to the Voices in the Net website.

25. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Not to drive this thread too far off-topic, but does anyone know why Froese was so obsessed with re-recording and re-recording TD tracks as his career wore on? It's not even something that conforms to conventional wisdom - endlessly recycling the most successful classic albums. He'd do this to EVERYTHING and mix in lesser known tracks that were ALSO re-recorded. Granted, I enjoy these different versions of the tracks in question, so the results are interesting, but it seems an awful lot of work for not much reason.