Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

It's a bit off topic, but a quick answer: if you're a serious fan, you're in for a treat. The amount of stuff showed and informations given is huge and it gives quite a complete picture of the band's creative output. But the scenery in most of the rooms is a bit frustrating: there is a lot of people at once in each room which makes it not easy to be able to take your time in front of each display, assuming you've been able to move your way up front. :sigh:
    But it's definitely worth checking out if you like the band I would suggest you don't cross the ocean just for this, especially if you're coming from California. But as a bonus visit during a more general journey to UK or Europe, it's worth it.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

No word on a digital release for this, for those that bought the box set and are not into vinyl?

3. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

Hm, I dunno. "Radio KAOS" may not be great, but it's rather memorable. I haven't listened to it for ages and still remember practically all the melodies.

On "Amused to Death" it depends on the song, but roughly half of it is also quite memorable.

I think it's not a lack of memorability that is the problem (if you think it's a problem in the first place), but the static nature of his compositions. He knows how to employ the quiet/loud dynamics quite well (The Final Cut, Your Possible Pasts, Amused to Death, What God Wants Part III, etc.), but the quiet parts tend to drag due to the lack of emphasis on rhythm.

BUT, if I were to name one thing that I don't like the most in Waters solo outuput - the background female vocals. This said, I would gladly have something akin to P.P. Arnolds' magnificent part on Perfect Sense, though.

(I like what I heard of his new album, by the way. It's typical Waters, but it's good Waters.)

4. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I find Radio CHAOS unlistenable, and a bit of an embarrassment in the lyrics department as well, which is Roger's strong suit. Dynamic, yes, melodic or memorable no. Amused to Death was musically better, but that's not saying much. However, it had a good concept and state-of-the-art audio quality. I'm hoping (springs eternal) that the new album coming out soon will satisfy.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
    Lost In The Flood and rontoon like this.
  5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That makes it all worth it.

mastaflatch and The_Windmill like this.
  6. James5001

James5001 Forum Resident

I think with listening to Roger's solo albums you generally end up appreciating the musical role Dave & Rick played in the Floyd even more.
    I just find his solo albums drab and colourless.

Merman and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  7. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Yeah, I agree but the comparison with the probably most colourful musical couple in space and time is a bit unfair. :tsk:

Last edited: May 22, 2017
  8. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

Yes, the "Early Years" box set shows the wonderful collective musical evolution of all four of the team (Gilmour/Mason/Waters/Wright).

9. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

And there's also room for the musical evolution of the other four (Barrett/Mason/Waters/Wright).

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  10. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

How tiny?

11. Outside The Wall

Soundtrack to the film "More":

When you watch, and especially listen to the film, as far as I can tell the running order of the Pink Floyd tracks is:

Main Theme
    Ibiza Bar
    The Nile Song
    Cymbaline
    A Spanish Piece
    Party Sequence
    Green Is The Colour
    Quicksilver
    Cirrus Minor
    More Blues
    Crying Song
    Up The Khyber
    Dramatic Theme

And it's interesting to listen to these tracks in this order.
    What do others in the forum think?

Natural E likes this.
  12. Outside The Wall

Soundtrack to the film "La Vallee":

When you watch, and especially listen to the film, as far as I can tell the running order of the Pink Floyd tracks is the same as on the "OBC" album.
    What do others in the forum think?

13. Well said!

Glubluk likes this.
  14. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

Missing from this list and, from the known universe apparently, is "Seabirds".

15. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

I see your point and I agree to a large extent. It turns out that memorability is subjective, I have the whole "Radio Waves" in my head at the moment, for example. Still, it IS quite unmelodic when I think of it and - exaggerating a bit - I think Roger's voice is able to make anything unmelodic ;)

And "The Tide Is Turning". The song may be borderline obnoxious, but the chorus IS melodic and memorable.

Now, I listened to "The Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking" probably as many times as to "Radio KAOS" but almost nothing off this album sticks with me, apart (unfortunately) from the awful title track and assorted bits and pieces, random and unhummable (the "stay with me!" part, "from where I stand upon this hill").

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  16. Outside The Wall

These are the tracks on the original More album.

17. Outside The Wall

The tracks that I'm referring to are the tracks on the original OBC album.

18. Incredulous_Observer

Incredulous_Observer Forum Resident

As Their Mortal Remains exhibition is kind of linked to this release just a quick heads up that the official hardback book has reduced from £40 to £26 on Amazon UK (at the time of writing) and having already bought it I can highly recommend it. Very cool lenticular cover with an exploding prism (only on the hardback version) and inside their are lots of great photos/artwork and essays. High quality in both presentation and content.

Last edited: May 25, 2017
    andrewskyDE and bobcat like this.
  19. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I take it you mean 5.01 AM? I think it's one of the best RW solo tracks! It even was a minor hit here in the Netherlands.

Kalli likes this.
  20. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Funny - I, too, made a list while watching the movie. The running order matches yours, but I've added a few things.
    And tracks marked * differ from the album versions, AFAIK.

21. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Dutch people always had a very good taste in music. And thanks a lot for the great recordings on Floyd live performances like the Concertgebow and the Paradiso* '69 which is at least for the moment my favourite from the box. Great performance, great sound! There is a beautiful interaction between bass and drums on the IO versions of that period which I appreciate a lot. At least in the old days Waters was able to play and improvise on the bass as an integral part of a band.:whistle:

*I took avisit to the Paradiso this spring. What a nice building! It was easy to imagine how much fun it must have been for the Floyds to perfom here. Very inspiring.

Sytze likes this.
  22. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Thanks for sharing. Let me clear up an often mis-spelled name: Concertgebouw, not Concertgebow. It's often spelled wrong on bootlegs to. 'Gebouw' is Dutch for 'building'.

Great avatar btw.

Lost In The Flood and Kalli like this.
  23. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Very good, but it must be '...on bootlegs too.' :pleased:

The_Windmill likes this.
  24. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Ha. I know that. Typo. But thanks!

25. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Forum Resident

Has anyone made a Continu/ation cover that matches the official covers from the digital editions? I use these in my foobar library and the Continu/ation one I'm using, while very cool, doesn't match the others.

xTraPlaylists likes this.