Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Studio_Two

Studio_Two Forum Resident

Great! I didn't notice them at first, but they are listed under "compilations" rather than "albums". :righton:

2. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

I was listening to Echoes, Wembley performance from Continuation again yesterday. What actually happens during the climax of the song starting at around 18:30? Someone is messing with the bass harmony isn't it. I fear it's Waters - or is it Wright on the keys or just a technical problem?

3. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

andrewskyDE and Rne like this.
  4. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Thanks for the reference, but this is not my point. I can hear Roger playing the fuzz bass and it appears to me in perfect order like with other live versions of the song. But in addition to that we can hear a clean deep bass sound that surprisingly follows not exactly the notes of the fuzzy one and is at places hitting the wrong notes especially at the end of every phrase which should be a F#. It puzzles me since I could not remember any other live version of the song with that added sound and I don't know who is playing it. Maybe it's an overdub...?

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I think it's in fact the fuzz bass which is not landing on the proper note a the end of phrases, but I should listen to it again.

davenav and Kalli like this.
  6. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That's all I'm hearing.

Kalli likes this.
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Just loving the vid from Dramatis/ation, watched Essen & Belgium again last night. Not sure what was in Waters' punch at Belgium, but that might be his most intense Careful screamfest ever ~ no two versions are the same, but that's one that's especially unique. Likewise, Zappa's musical presence in Interstellar inspires some extra, lengthier improv than usual in those Up the Khyber and winding-down-to-the-finale sections. For a long while, FZ seems to be waiting for Rick's "solo" to end before starting his, not quite realizing how this band works. Thankfully, Nick finally gives him the nod of "hey, jump in anywhere" :righton: Love how Rick-heavy Set the Controls is, even though you don't get a visual of his keys until Interstellar.

Essen's Saucerful is a precious time capsule from when it was still a central showpiece of their set ~ in contrast to Pompeii's more mature but less hungry version.

I always want more Rick in these clips, and Dave gets outright shafted...but priceless stuff nevertheless. Dave's vocals still seem to suffer Amsterdam's hoarseness from a few weeks earlier, wonder if he had a bug that Fall?

8. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

This moment I'm listening to one of The Doctor's Floyd podcasts which include a stereo downmix of the 5.1 remix of 'Echoes'.
    Amazing to hear that, well restored. Hope we get official access of the whole Meddle album remix sometime, just sad it's not on the individual edition of Reverber/ation anymore.
    And I never could afford the whole box set...

Outside The Wall and Hattipper like this.
  9. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

link?

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The podcast?
    FIX/ATION -
    Between minute 58:00 and 82:00 you can hear the updated sound of 'Echoes'.

Outside The Wall, Hattipper and Meng like this.
  11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

Just wanted to share this. Still going through the big floyd box myself.

Rekkerds and Hattipper like this.
  12. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

That footage might be my favourite of the whole set. Love the smoke in the footage. As much as I have whinged about parts of this set, having that stuff ok the shelf is rather wonderful.

anth67 likes this.
  13. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

I've searched and haven't seen this mentioned (or I'm awful at searching :D ) but did anyone else run into an issue with the second CD in the Dramitis/ation set? I just opened the set (from new) and the second CD skips on the first and second track (at which point I ejected and looked at the disc) - and it's got pretty significant scratches on the disc. :(

This happen to anyone else? Anyone have any thoughts as to who I should contact to see if a replacement disc is possible?

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I think it's just a case of a particular defective copy, it's not a problema with the pressing. You should contact the people you buy it from.

Hattipper likes this.
  15. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

thanks to my local library, I've been enjoying this set for the last couple of weeks. very cool stuff.

andrewskyDE, Hattipper and Rne like this.
  16. anth67

Thank your library, indeed! Someone's a very cool librarian to have sprung for this.

Meng, andrewskyDE and Spadeygrove like this.
  17. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

it's the king county library system. very cool. if you're willing to wait you can check out a lot of great stuff!

Spadeygrove likes this.
  18. anth67

Mine in Multnomah County has some cool stuff like the Sandy Denny 4CD "Boxful of Treasures," but the full PF Early Years is above & beyond : )

And just another plug for the early studio version of Atom Heart Mother on Devi/ation. Made a perfect morning commute soundtrack this morning. Love how high Mason is in the mix throughout.

And "Explosion" really is a nice find, too.

19. iwokeinrelief

iwokeinrelief Forum Resident

Thanks! I'll reach out to them.

20. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

Just curious, do they lend out the whole massive box or just the CD books inside the box; do you get the posters & vinyl singles with it?

Hattipper likes this.
  21. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

I guess it is too bad that the Early Years Box Set did not also include Scarves and Marbles, as young kids visiting the Library could have at least played with the Marbles(although most likely a choking hazard for young kids).

Rne, Hattipper and rontoon like this.
  22. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

Yes, The Wall Immersion Box Set included scarf, coasters, marbles, etc, along with an enormous volume of demos, alternative versions, and so on.
    An especially interesting demo was:
    ANOTHER BRICK IN THE WALL, PT. 1 (THE WALL WORK IN PROGRESS PT. 1, 1979) [PROGRAMME 2] [BAND DEMO](2011)
    - with the reference to the "early days".
    I think that the lyrics are:

[Verse 1]
    We don't need your adulation
    We don't need your starry gaze
    How the years have come between us
    You should have seen them in the early days
    Should have seen them in the early days

[Refrain]
    All in all, it's just another brick in the wall
    [Verse 2]
    They don't need your reminiscing
    They don't need your memories
    They don't want to hear who's missing
    You should have seen them when the boys were young
    You should have seen them when the boys were young

[Refrain]

Especially interesting indeed in the context of the "Early Years".

zipp, dkmonroe, footlooseman and 4 others like this.
  23. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

Another interesting set of lyrics is that of "Point Me At The Sky":
    * Is the 'Eugene' the same Eugene as that in "Careful With That Axe, Eugene"?
    * And the line "if you survive till two thousand and five"...well, Messrs Gilmour, Mason, Waters, Wright did survive and reunite for "Live8" in "two thousand and five"!

24. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

The name Eugene in both tracks is possibly the same concept/'guy'. Because both tracks were recorded nearly the same time when they headed back recording something for a single in late 1968.
    But the 'two-thousand-and-five' bit is pretty pure coincidence IMO. Or, otherwise, the (survived) Floyd members planned that since decades which I totally doubt.^^

25. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Was there any inspiration from Lucy in the Sky to Point me to The Sky?