Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The difference is that the first one is better :D.

Edit: to be a bit more precise, the 1970 take includes children noises and David's reverse-wah guitar shrieks which are not featured in the 1971 version. I love both, but the 1970 performance is the definitive version of the song in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  2. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Maybe slightly. I think they're both great, since they are almost identical. To me, at least. I guess I just need to listen to them more, to discover the differences.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I updated my post to include more information.

4. I think the reason that Dave reduced the "pterodactyl" effects in the '71 version of Embryo is because they were now playing Echoes which incorporated those same sounds. They may have believed it was just too much if both songs had those effects in one show.

5. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Yes, absolutely, it would have been redundant.

Pete Puma likes this.
  6. central616

central616 Forum Resident

I think the '71 version is one of the worst. Way too slow and not nearly as dynamic as the '70 version. Still great, but it pales when compared to the great '70 BBC version, the "Libest Spacement Monitor" and the 27 minute long version of nov '71.

Hattipper likes this.
  7. central616

A real fan is the one who knows the difference between the two Embryos many years before this box set.

8. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

That can't be right.

9. central616

So, a fan is a person who spend a lot of money on certain thing?

10. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

A strawman is a scarecrow by any other name

11. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

My point is a person who spends a lot of money on a release can't be accused of NOT being a fan. That's just so wrong. But there are also many other things that are signs of a fan, like for instance knowledge of the band's songs. Let's not bicker about this.

Meng likes this.
  12. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

13. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

The "unofficial" versions aren't master tape quality, but they are close, and there are two unofficial mixes of each song. I still listen to those.

Exactly.

They also pro-tooled the chipmunk vocals so they aren't out of sync anymore.

The remix of "Vegetable Man" can be fixed somewhat by extracting the guitar in the right channel and boosting it. "Scream" is hopeless.

14. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

It is. Actually, the Soft Boys' version of "Vegetable Man" was the version that I cut my teeth on and I think it was closer to the spirit of the original than the JMAC version.

Dodoz and Runicen like this.
  15. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I didn't know about alternate mixes of 'Lucifer Sam' and 'Bike' till I stalked this thread (that's even before I joined the forum^^).

Btw there's also a short interview of Syd and Roger from Canadian radio, which contains snippets from a 'quiet' arranged version of 'Interstellar Overdrive'.
    And I have read that, during the 'Arnold Layne' session, the band also recorded early versions of 'Chapter 24' and 'Matilda Mother' at Sound Techniques.

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

First I thought the bad sound quality of the drums on 'Vegetable Man' was only on the b**tleg mixes. But even the official mix got it.
    The drums sound so 'liquid', almost throughout the song, that I still don't like the track. It ruins the listening experience to me a bit. What was going on when they recorded 'Vegetable Man'!?

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wonder if they used several studios during the (re)mastering processes of the box set tracks.
    Feels like they had to continue the masterings somewhere else and didn't notice that the EQ default settings were different.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  18. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'd see a vinyl version of Cre/ation more possible than all the audio content on 10+ vinyl LPs.
    Would be cool if Pink Floyd Records plans something like that after they do the live albums reissues.

19. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

How many years before this box set? You missed it by one year! That not only puts you into the "not a real fan" category but also a total dbag. Yer funny!

The Beave likes this.
  20. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Ripped into iTunes at what rate? 256 AAC?

I use ALAC for iTunes for my headphone listening, but 256 Kbps is fine for the car.

21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Embryo (BBC) is still so mind blowing to me after only hearing that anemic demo version from Works!

22. m20gull

m20gull Forum Resident

256 AAC. I will go back for a lossless upload at some point.

JeffMo likes this.
  23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

AFAIK, they were all done at Andy's studio.

Hattipper and andrewskyDE like this.
  24. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

It is revelatory, no question. But I've always stuck up for the "demo" version, as I always found it enchanting. We had the "Picnic" compilation where it first appeared, so it was one of my earliest exposures to pre-Dark Side Floyd, at an age where I more or less viewed musicians as magicians. I already knew about "psychedelia", via the Stones' and Beatles' dabblings, but whereas they went through a bit of a "phase", these Pink Floyd dudes seemed like the genuine article. And "Embryo" sounded just like I imagined it should: mysterious, ancient; a sort of incantantion, with swirling, ethereal sounds like disembodied fingers grasping at me through the speakers. I ate it up. Got to hear the BBC version a couple of years into my fandom, via a lovely pink vinyl "Libest Spacement Monitor", and I'll concede that it's by far the most "mind-blowing" of the two arrangements. Still, I have great fondness for the original acoustic take, and the whole "pastoral" trip they were on during that time. "Grantchester Meadows", "Cirrus Minor", "Fat Old Sun", even "A Pillow Of Winds"...they all seemed to originate from this perfect English hippie universe where the Floyd men lived and practiced their wizardry. I still hope to visit someday. :)

25. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Great story!

I agree that there is something magical going on in their pastoral phase - even the album covers reflected it in '69 and '70.