Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

rontoon, do you know if that includes the audio attached to the footage as well?

2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes.

3. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Hmmm...the mystery about the varying mastering grows.

Thanks for replying.

4. central616

central616 Forum Resident

I think the new mixes blow away those bad sounding old mixes. In the case of VM, I never liked the studio version, but I love the BBC one with the extended bluesy instrumental part.
    With STLS, I always felt annoyed by the chipmunk vocals, which are very prominent in the old mixes. With the new mix, they are at perfect volume, still audible but without ruining the listening experience. Some people said that this mix is loopsided, but the average volume is exactly the same on both channels. I think they decided to put the drums out of the center because (I think) the other instruments are recorded in one track and they cannot be separated. So they put the instruments mostly on the right channel, vocals on the center, drums a little bit on the left and chipmunk vocals mostly on the left. If the instrument cannot be separated like I said before, this was a clever mix. But if it wasn't the case, they could done a better job.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2017
    bobcat, andrewskyDE and Kim Olesen like this.
  5. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

When we say lopsided, we aren't referring to a volume imbalance between channels. I'm referring to what you've described. Pushing the limited amount of tracks into extreme positions. A good separated mix isn't possible because each vocal takes up their own tracks and then drums+bass another and guitar+organ another. This is why the '87 is pretty much mono and the '74 is a conservative stereo mix. When I listen to the '10, I hear a mix where they tried to get too much separation out of this recording than is reasonably possible. It just simply sounds like they push this over here and that over there. It's lacking a cohesion. And to me that sounds lopsided.

I personally love the chipmunk vocal and prefer the '87 because it's mixed higher. But I understand everyone will have a different preference for such a unique recording. What would've been really cool is if it were mixed similar to Remember a Day. Have a mono instrument track and split each of the lead vocals to their own channel. Then it gives the listener the choice. It could be listened to in a number of different ways. Most importantly, it would allow the muting of either vocal track. Like a more advanced version of the Velvet Underground's "The Gift".

6. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Thanks a great post. The post Syd era and pre Dark Side Floyd is a wonderful land to decamp to and probably stay (you miss out on the punk rock era which I love though).
    The big box set is coming up to being a year old soon. My own opinion is that it was very disappointing from the packaging point of view and I really would have liked a high resolution download of all the audio from cd and dvd in the box.

Outside The Wall likes this.
  7. neonknight1967

neonknight1967 Well-Known Member

Bernard White had an analogue copy. That's all I have come across. Could you PM me please Chris?

Deek57 likes this.
  8. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Not sure where to put this, so I'm putting it here. One of the highlights of 'Their Mortal Remains' exhibition for me was this tape box, sitting in the corner of the 1967 section. It appears to be the stereo mixes of 'Apples And Oranges' and 'Paintbox', dated 14th November 1967.

'Paintbox' is shown as having been "cut out for LP 'Golden Grollies' (later 'Relics) job number 15015". i believe these were the only stereo mixes of these two songs.

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Thanks for the photo. There were speculations that the '67 stereo mixes of 'Apples And Oranges' and Paintbox' were originally planned as part for the band's second album before they chose those tracks for a single instead.

10. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

The date of this box would post-date any decision like that though. The 7" 45 was released in the UK three days later. The 7" would have already have been pressed, and demo copies with the music press etc. by this point. The Glen Povey book cannot be right on this one in saying this is the date the songs were remixed for the 7".

Presumably these (stereo) mixes were for unspecified later use (which, in the case of 'Paintbox' was on 'Relics' in 1971, and the case of 'Apples And Oranges' was apparently the 'Best Of Pink Floyd' LP released in Europe).

andrewskyDE and crozcat like this.
  11. Beeb Fader

Beeb Fader Forum Resident

`Golden Grollies' ! Ha ha. `Grollies' are something you hawk up (ie phlegm) when you have a cold !

12. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

It sounds more like a Rolling Stones compilation. Hot Rocks, Fazed Cookies, Golden Grollies, etc. :D

13. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

High Hopes And Lunatic Grass.

14. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Well Ive had my picture taken in front of the Gnome tree in Hyde Park so thats probably as close as I’m going to get. Ive also been to Abbey Road studios.

15. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

Re: The Man & The Journey:
    Has anyone listened to the recent "Album That Never Was" by soniclovenoize, which, (following the release of the Early Years box set, and with reference to "Dramatis/ation"), is a revised studio reconstruction of The Man & The Journey?
    Fascinating and recommended!

soniclovenoize and Rooster_Ties like this.
  16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I've always wanted to build that myself, but I've never gotten around to it...!

17. realmdemagic

realmdemagic Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the sound quality of Continu/ation?

I've heard that it's not up to par with the other volumes, others have said it doesn't sound any better than the old bootlegs (most of which have been circulating on Youtube for years)

18. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

For some tracks on the CD, unfortunately, this is definitely the case. However, it's still worth having for the 1974 live version of "Echoes", which is technically outside the chronological remit of the box, but still excellent in sound quality (on par with the other songs from this concert released in 2011 on expanded versions of Dark Side and Wish You Were Here)

19. DylanPeggin

DylanPeggin Active Member

On the menu of the DVD/Bluray of the Dramatisation (69) volume, does anyone know what track is being played in the background? Can't say I have heard it within the CDs of the box set itself.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's not from a song included in the box and has never been released in any form. Information about the song title and origin is not being shared with the general public for whatever reason. Some who were involved with the production of this release probably know more about it.

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Would like to know this, too. It was never solved. Maybe it was from the More sessions, maybe "related" to that 'Seabirds' song.

Outside The Wall likes this.
  22. DylanPeggin

DylanPeggin Active Member

Whatever it may be, perhaps it will come to light in a RSD release down the road. Although with this mysterious tune not appearing on the box, it is crazy to think that there is still material from this era that didnt make the final cut (hope you enjoyed that pun!) of the box, like the '66 Interstellar Overdrive that was released earlier this year. What else can be lying in the vaults?

23. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

There is little-to-zero chance that this song will ever be released. If there was anything left in the vaults that was not used it was probably on one of those sonically unsalvagable reels.

24. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

It's a year tomorrow since this amazing, absorbing and substantial collection was released. The analysis continues.

25. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Why do you keep insisting on this? There are no "unsalvageable reels". They just didn't want to include certain things and do the proper research.

hallucalation likes this.