Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. More remarkably, why do you keep insisting on this?

Maybe yes, maybe no, and maybe the truth is somewhere in between. But your insistent "certainty" on these matters seems ill-informed (to put it charitably).

tkl7, andrewskyDE, Glubluk and 2 others like this.
  2. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

How do you come to that conclusion? I have many inside sources and they all say the same thing, and it makes perfect sense. I don't know where rontoon gets his info from, but it is nonsensical in addition to being the opposite of what I have been told by several people involved. And if his "source" is the mastering engineer, I wouldn't put any stock in anything that guy says.

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

4. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hey, so this means they actually played a 'normal' long concert and (at least) 30 minutes were cut before broadcasting!?
    Wondering that the PF staff didn't find this extra footage before including it to the Early Years box set...

rontoon likes this.
  6. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I spoke with Jim Farber (the producer who is interviewed here) several years ago to discuss the broadcast and all the details of videotaping it back in the day. He had the original tapes of all the performances before the video effects were added as well as all the final footage. I put him in touch with the Floyd's manager who tried to bully Jim into turning over the video to him and read him the riot act when he learned that he donated to the Getty. It could have ended up on the box if Loasby wasn't such a dick about it.

And yes, the article indicates that ASoS was performed. If KQED had to make a deal to stream this then perhaps Pink Floyd now has it and will release this as a stand alone 90-minute DVD in the future?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Omigosh!!!!!!!:yikes: Awesome!!!!

There's never been any footage of this song post-'68, and never in this length and detail of what each member is doing. This is really treasure.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
  8. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

9. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Is the Video too old to convert to Blu-Ray quality?
    Just asking since you mentioned DVD and the Early Years Box Set(Individual Sets) has Blu-Ray of older concert video.

10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

This is exactly the response I got for trying to pass along the high quality ‘66 IO to the Floyd camp.

They’re still stuck in the 80s thinking bootleggers are out to capitalise on their product, when they are actually trying to preserve their legacy in the best possible quality. Lord knows the official people in charge of such things are useless at it (video content on the box set notwithstanding)

I hope someone can eventually liberates all of the unheard Syd stuff, because I’m not paying those a***holes a dime for it.

11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

If they only could have somehow released this thing in the Early Years-boxset.
    There's plenty of material in the boxset (I bought the individual volumes in the summer) but surely there could and should have been even more.
    I guess they will somehow find a way to release these tapes..

NunoBento likes this.
  12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Just had an email conversation with Lana (their video archivist) and apparently this was discovered after TEY was released otherwise it would have been included on the box. BUt maybe Jim Farber knew about it? I'll need to contact him again as well.

You are so right about this, my friend. At least we tried. :doh:

13. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

I'll never say no to a Saucerful performance.... But an Embryo in this setting might even be more intriguing....

Rekkerds and NunoBento like this.
  14. NunoBento

NunoBento Rock 'n' Roll Star

How about including the full KQED as an extra to the upcoming Live At Pompeii Blu-Ray which will feature the superior James Guthrie surround mix?
    The fans already paid for KQED in "The Early Years", so it would be only fair.

JulesRules and SammyJoe like this.
  15. zinan

zinan Forum Resident

How is greedy PF fans! Upon purchase of a box "The Early years" the FULL TELEVISION version of KQED which was only known at that time has been paid. Now we have an opportunity to see the material which hasn't entered the movie An Hour With Pink Floyd (pay attention - An Hour, but not 90 minutes!), perhaps, it is rehearsal material.

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It's curious. In spite of feeling I was in many ways scammed, I still love the box set :laugh:.

17. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

For the price we should have all received one of the promo toy vans! :D

18. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I don't think that Guthrie is involved in this anymore.

20. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Wasn't this rumoured to be released somewhere in November? This year, I might add? I thought Adrian Maben mentioned this.

<edit>
    I just found the interview. He mentions it will be completed in November 2017, now that's something different then released ;)

Will there be another edition of Pink Floyd at Pompeii ?
    "Yup. It will be completed by November 2017

Google Translate

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  21. NunoBento

Bad news then. I thought I'd read that he was doing his own mix for a standalone release, but maybe I'm remembering it wrong. Guthrie is quality.

andrewskyDE and Lownote30 like this.
  22. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

You're not remembering it wrong but the latest I heard was that he's no longer involved with this. Perhaps Sigma6 can shed more light on this? Considering his great multi-channel work I have no problem with Andy handling this. He's already familiar with the source material and took a shot at it on YET. I just hope that the harshness can be times down.

Perhaps the November target was just wishful thinking because the release never received any form of official announcement.

23. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It's AD, IO, SOS, and Embryo, based on the setlist at the time.

andrewskyDE and Rekkerds like this.
  24. Twittering Machine

Twittering Machine Forum Resident

Played this morning and again now, but buffered for ages (and all the way through) both times for me. Worth persisting 5 minutes or more because it is so good, start-stop or not.

Nick Dunning likes this.
  25. NunoBento

It's the definition of wanting to see or hear new material. Most of us did that back in the day. And buying the box later is compensating for that.
    Note that I wasn't calling the band greedy or anything like that, I was responding to an earlier post.