Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

For a Meddle and Obscured By Clouds box I actually think about a 2 or 3 disc format as the The Endless River deluxe edition set was.
    Here's some artwork I made a while ago. Probably posted already here or in the other ('Anticip/ation') thread.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Btw ignore the stickers' credits, I actually hope for very high audio files (96kHz/24bit).

2. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Thanks a lot for this, Chris (ramble away : )

Per some posts above, there was still an instrumental on the 4T comp reel left unreleased. If that's true ~ that is, if I read correctly ~ and it was not Reaction In G, then I wonder what it was/is.... Your theory of a Syd-only composer criterion would rule out a Latham-like improv, and awaken the intrigue of something more structured (if even just a riff, a la "Experiment")....

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  3. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

They kind of started out on this path with the 40th Anniversary 3-CD Book Box Set for 'PATGOD', except for no Live Recordings. I was hoping at the time that the rest of the albums would receive the same similar book box set, but it never happened and with the Early Years release doubt it will ever happen in the future.

Runicen likes this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Floydian Archivist

That's why I changed it to this one.

Since I LOVE that film I'll take that as a compliment. :hugs:

Runicen likes this.
  5. ODShowtime

ODShowtime Swirl Life

I'm bored waiting for Monday Night Football to start so I will reiterate my feelings on Pink Floyd's future releases. First off, overall great work on the latest round on vinyl reissues. My love of early Floyd blossomed when I obtained the Piper and Saucerful lps. They are now firmly supplanted by A Nice Pair UK but you have to start somewhere.

All I want is an Animals box with a live show and 5.1. Throw in marbles or action figures or whatever. Charge me $150. I don't care. I need to take the final step with this album. Obtaining a vintage copy on vinyl was one step, finding a nice early UK pressing was another huge step. There is nowhere else to go. Oakland '77 is implanted in my brain like any other official release, but I need more. I need more Animals in my life.

6. anth67

When Mason first proposed a combo Piper-Saucerful Immersion idea, I worried More would get shafted but as it was we got some nice outtakes (Seabirds notwithstanding) ~ I mean, any is great, and Theme (Beat) & Hollywood deliver for me. (And the Amsterdam concert is your live disc.)

A Saucerful book edition ~ not that it'll happen ~ would make sense if they had the masters to stuff like Corporal Clegg, the unheard Richard's Rave Up, Saucerful in progress. And included further excavations from Fall '67 ~ Vegetable Man instrumental rehearsal take, studio Reaction In G, Jug Band with alternate horns track, perhaps a Paint Box alt take or false start? Mixdowns of pre-'68 Set the Controls & Scream tracks? (Only if there's a Syd lead vocal track for Scream.) And the audio for the Sound of Change instrumental.

That on a bonus disc, plus the album mono mix could still warrant such a release. One can daydream.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Heck, throw in some vintage mixes of Scream and Vegetable Man. I like the new mixes (even if not everyone does) but I think the earlier mixes are just as worthy of release.

ash1, Runicen, zobalob and 3 others like this.
  8. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

Not to derail the conversation, but after a bit of delay, I finally picked up one of the individual books from the Early Years. Decided to go with 1969: Dramatis/ation. Really enjoying it. Currently listening to the second disc (The Man and the Journey). Very much enjoying it. I will have to grab the other ones as well.

And I also agree that an Animals Immersion box is loooong overdue

JulesRules, anth67 and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm sure you mean that alternative version which was used for the Belgian TV performance '68. I was surprised that there was a total chord/key changing in that early version.

Big Pasi likes this.
  10. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

In my view you may have bought the best volume. The footage alone on that makes it a treasure.

On of the disappointments of the box was the blunder of using the wrong version of the recording (the final version).

11. street legal

street legal Forum Resident

'69 is one of my favorite sets. Love "The Man" & "The Journey". Enjoy!

Six Bachelors and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member

The instrumental on the 4T comp reel is Take 7 of an untitled Syd original recorded September 11 at Sound Techniques - 90 seconds of this have circulated in poor quality as 'Sunshine'. More on this shortly..

13. anth67

Best possible answer so far, thank you...!

14. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member

True, the Piper session tapes are in the great tape vault in the sky but there are radically different, fully realised, *unheard* early versions of Lucifer Sam and Bike (both RM1) that survive in perfect quality. Both every inch as revelatory as the early Matilda Mother. I mean, Bike has alternate vocals with different lyics(!), Lucifer Sam has more in common with 1977 than 1967.

Add first time stereo mixes of Arnold Layne/Candy and a Currant Bun as well as the alternate mix(es) of See Emily Plan from a tape source and there may be enough to justify another reissue.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2017
  15. anth67

:edthumbs:

One of the 90's books (Povey's or maybe Lost in the Woods?) noted mixdowns of a Chapter 24 alternate take 5 & the full-length Interstellar pre-overdub (a la French EP) still being in existence. Any idea if they really are?

16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

And what about the other two tracks that were recorded at the 'Arnold Layne'/'Candy And A Currant Bun' sessions?
    Reportedly there were versions of 'Chapter 24' and 'Matilda Mother' recorded at Sound Techniques in early 1967. Does Joe Boyd own these tapes?

17. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

In all my years I've never heard that...

18. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

Because it never happened in the first place

Nick Dunning likes this.
  19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wikipedia says:
    If that is a wrong fact could someone delete parts of that sentence there then?

Nick Dunning likes this.
  20. Sytze

Sytze Forum Resident

I expected at least a Saucerful set. Not unrealistic, as Nick Mason said back then that Scream Thy Last Scream and Vegetable Man were left off because they belong to the Saucerful sessions. But nothing came of it, sadly.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  21. Sytze

Sytze Forum Resident

I've heard that the rights for the film soundtrack are with someone else (hence no soundtrack material on the Wall Immersion box - shame), and I understand that What Shall We Do Now heard in the film is the original track recorded for The Wall. Don't remember where I read it, though. Anyone who does, please chime in.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  22. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I heard that the actual mastertapes of the film's music (without the sound effects of the film) are lost, hope this isn't true and can be located.
    There's a (very recommendable!) website about the Wall album which was made by one of the forum members here.
    Many fact(s) as the song 'What Shall We Do Now?' can be read there: http://thewallcomplete.com

23. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member

Definitely still in existance. These are rough mixes done by Norman Smith the day after their second EMI session.

Interstellar runs for 10:20 (much longer than the LP) and contains the original, unheard ending of the performance as it predates the edit piece recorded in June. This rough mix contains around 2 minutes of unhead material from one of the most important PF sessions - they broke 4 mics recording Interstellar Overdrive that night(!)..

Chapter 24 take 5 is probably a bare bones backing track of an unused take. It was the temporary 'best' take before they recorded the remake (take 6) at the next session.

24. anth67

So there's still some stuff.... Thanks:tiphat:

25. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member

Definitely. Most of it more interesting than what was used on the Early Years. The 'Syd version' of Jugband Blues, the one he wanted to use, is up there with take 1 of Strawberry Fields and the Cantina version of Heroes and Villains.

ceddy10165, ash1, DeadParrot and 6 others like this.