Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Awesome! Now check the vaults for the full thing Floyd!

2. anth67

anth67 Forum Resident

Glen Povey's Complete Pink Floyd now lists the session, and notes additional takes but only the two songs, alas. Then again, he assumes the instrumental is a version of "Careful," which EY revealed to be "Song 1" :) I was so hoping for some lost '68 tracks, and those fit the bill perfectly :righton:

How, indeed, did some of these seemingly impromptu studio sessions at foreign studios come about right in the middle of tours? The Stones dropped into Muscle Shoals during the Ya Ya's tour, too, to record "Brown Sugar." The theory of a quick single attempt by the Floyds seems viable, though "Roger's Boogie" ~ much as I love it for what it is ~ wasn't exactly pop songcraft.

andrewskyDE and Rooster_Ties like this.
  3. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

You're wearing out my "like" button Chris. Welcome back my Syd friend.

Shine on

zobalob, Hattipper, mando_dan and 3 others like this.
  4. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Forum Gangsta

'Roger's Boogie' sounds like it was made for some film scene. Otherwise I think they were just experimenting sounds.
    But, IMO, the song nearly got commercial quality. Would fit good to some psychedelic radio show.^^

5. Chris M

Chris M Forum Resident

The 4
    It is the first of two versions on E68415. Same backing track, radically different, Salvation Army Band performance. Think A Day In The Life. When Norman sternly objected Syd walked out of the session and things were never really the same. His working relationship with Norman Smith was over more or less. Imagine if George Martin refused to induldge John Lennon's wishes for Strawberry Fields?

No brass band for the BBC session which was recorded over 2 months after the studio version.

6. Chris M

Chris M Forum Resident

Cheers old friend.

7. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

My favorite version!

CorporalClegg and Hattipper like this.
  8. I'm leaning towards saying the San Francisco version of I/O is maybe my favorite too. Or at least the most fascinating, with it's simplified 'head' (to borrow a jazz term). Torn between it, and the "London 66/67" version, truth be told.

In any case, the San Francisco version is SO unique -- it's really a crime it hasn't been made available in a more general way.

9. zinan

zinan Active Member

After all the London 66/67 version is much more interesting! Yes, this version became more habitual, but what magnificent!

10. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Member

From time to time, with reference to unofficial recordings, and with reference to members of this forum, you can see items such as this:
    "Pink Floyd Amsterdam 1969 (Harvested Version) CD" come up for sale on internet auction sites.

But, I was surprised to see this now available as an item on a well-known internet auction site:
    (and described as Soniclovenoize "The Man and The Journey" studio reconstruction CD):
    [​IMG]

11. rontoon

rontoon Forum Resident

Makes me very sad to see things like this being sold. At least the HRV legacy will stand the test of time with the fans.

Jerry Horne, Runicen, anth67 and 2 others like this.
  12. anth67

anth67 Forum Resident

These are fun to make, finally got around to it a few weeks back. But I can't imagine selling them...lame. For "Behold the Temple of Light," I had to pull a Floydian maneuver and loop the same edit (just before the start of "Narrow Way part 3" on UmmaGumma) three times to give it sufficient length to represent the piece. For "Doing It," I shrunk one of the "Grand Vizier" pieces, editing out the middle to join two sections. Can't remember which version of "Quicksilver" ("Sleep") I used.....I think the new one from EY.

"Pink Jungle" and "Labyrinths" of course guest-starring Syd Barrett :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
    Outside The Wall likes this.
  13. dajokr

dajokr Forum Resident

Hi there,

Latecomer here - realized I don't have Piper in Mono on CD (and I now want it). With the Early Years box on the way, do I need the 3rd CD from the 2011 release, or are the extra tracks from that book/box included in the Early Years box?

14. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

Nope. The 3-CD release is essential (for both the mono LP and the bonus tracks).

zobalob likes this.
  15. dajokr

dajokr Forum Resident

Thanks, was afraid you'd say that. :laugh: I had that one in my hands at a Barnes& Noble when it was released, on sale and with a 20% coupon. Opted to pass for some dumb reason. :realmad:

16. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 Forum Resident

Incredible revelation. Why would these session not have been released on the Early Years?

17. PyroMessiah

PyroMessiah Well-Known Member

18. WonkyWilly

My guess is that they didn't even listen/reference it since the main version was already remixed by Gilmour for that Syd comp and it was "good enough". This appears to have been thier thought process throughout.

19. Rne

Rne Forum Resident

The mastering of the mono mix is a bit rough, anyway.

20. marmalade166

marmalade166 Forum Resident

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is different about this 'Syd' version of Jugband Blues?

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Forum Gangsta

Reportedly the brass band performed a very different arrangement for the song, which is (still) unheard in the public.

marmalade166 likes this.
  22. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

Apologies in advance: Are the defective discs for 'Obfusc/ation' Blu-ray and 'Continu/ation' Blu-ray 1 only applicable to US copies? Mine is from the UK. I tried both of these discs and they appear OK?

A quick summary of the defects would be much appreciated. And as my contribution, the email address to contact for replacement discs is customerserviceteam@warnermusic.com

23. rnranimal

rnranimal Forum Resident

From the 3CD? What do you find rough about it? I think it's quite good. Now the '97 mono, that was downright terrible.

24. WonkyWilly

The only thing I find wrong is that it's mastered in stereo with a stereo head. Sounds even better when you correct it to mono.

rnranimal likes this.
  25. rnranimal

rnranimal Forum Resident

Yeah, that's the only issue I had with it as well. I just chose the channel I thought sounded best (can't remember which).