Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

It's out of phase. You have to flip the phase in one channel.

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

What about crafting a nice hardcover book now? :laugh:

Six Bachelors likes this.
  3. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

I didn't now about this issue, just read about it this afternoon, flipped one of the channels and WOW it improves the sound!!

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Sorry but that's jargon to me.

How do you do that?

5. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Where in Hyde Park is this tree?

6. WonkyWilly

You just open it with an audio editing program and "invert" one channel with the stereo channel mixer.

I'm still amazed that Andy Jackson didn't know well enough to do this, but judging from his work on the rest of the box, I suppose its no surprise.

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Its actually in Kensignton Gardens...

Elfin Oak - Wikipedia

8. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Yes. All the info is there. The problem is the authoring.

9. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I know that the authoring is fudged on the disk, but I think I asked the wrong question. What I meant to ask was: is there a way to listen to ASB in quad after it is converted to a flac file. I thought flac files were playable in stereo only.

My decision to purchase the 1970 Deviation set is mainly for the quad mix of the AHM album.

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes. FLAC can also play 5.1 as well.

tedhead likes this.
  11. Hymie the Robot

Flac is definitely not a stereo only lossless compression. I play it on my computer. Oppo players will play flac files in multichannel. You could also rip the tracks from the Blu-ray using MakeMKV and play back the mkv's which are very compatible today.

Use Audiomuxer to create a Blu-ray or AVC-HD if need be authored correctly...just use the dts-ma tracks without manipulation.

tedhead and rontoon like this.
  12. WonkyWilly

You could also create your own downmix by extracting the 5 channels and pairing up the front and back L/R channels, and mixing the center channel down 3 db.

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Is there audio in the center of the quad mix? I hate when they do that.

14. WonkyWilly

Oh, that's right. It's quad. I guess you won't need the center channel regardless.

15. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

Sometimes they add center channels on official quad release (but I don't know about this one). Really bugs me. Black Sabbath's Paranoid, they added a center channel that was just a fold down of the left/right. Really silly and screws with the sound (it's a terrible sounding release anyway, so hardly matters). But it's possible others might "up mix" process the left/right into left/center/right and if you dropped the center, you'd lose audio. So it depends on how there came to be a center channel (if there is one).

WonkyWilly likes this.
  16. Hymie the Robot

No. It is 4.0 without redundant info in the center and sub channels.

rnranimal likes this.
  17. Hymie the Robot

Most of the time you can just turn off your sub and center and get the original quad mix. If you can't do that you can change your settings in your processor to 4.0 by turning off the center and sub. Both ways sound better than the crappy fill they needlessly add. I use multiple stereo amps so I just power off the center channel amp.

I took the time to remove the center and sub on many of the ones I have. I use a PC to playback my stuff 90% of the time.

Yes that Paranoid DVD release is bad all the way around. I have an unofficial quad conversion that is a bit better but nothing spectacular. Fairies With Boots is pretty good though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2018
    soundQman and rnranimal like this.
  18. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Ok, good to know guys, thanks for the help.

I'm getting the set for sure now. I can't wait to hear this in true quad.

19. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

So, has anyone done a definitive list of the unreleased tracks from this period that weren’t included on The Early Years, but that are known to still exist?
    The studio version of “Reaction In G”, the untitled backing track from September 1967, and the other parts of “Nothing” were the tracks I personally wish had been included. But what else is there?

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

At least I hope the other parts of 'Nothing' and the remixed Meddle album will appear on a related box set soon.

21. WonkyWilly

alternate Bike, alternate Paintbox, alternate Jugband Blues, alternate Vegetable Man, Arnold Layne/Candy in stereo, BBC sessions from the actual master tapes (which still exist)....

Chris M, Laservampire and DeadParrot like this.
  22. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

I'd love a whole disc of nothing...

BTW, is it confirmed that the "One Of These Days" demos that appear on bootlegs are "Nothing" parts 1 and 2?

23. Benjamin Zwickel

Benjamin Zwickel Active Member

It seems like most bands come out with their first album and slowly decline with subsequent albums.

My theory is that they had been working on and perfecting those songs for years, but then the "money men" force them to create more music on a schedule.

Pink Floyd is one of the few bands I feel that got better over time :wiggle:

24. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Indeed! The Division Bell is top notch! I hardly ever listen to The Piper at the Gates of Dawn.

bzfgt likes this.
  25. DeadParrot

DeadParrot Forum Resident

I don’t have the issues with a The Early Years that some have, but I really do wish they’d stuck with unreleased and alternate versions, rather than yet another release of “See Emily Play” (although it is a wonderful song).
    I seem to remember there was another version of the “Vegetable Man” backing track in existence, with lots of weird sound affects on it, that has never leaked. I’d love to hear that.

Tristero likes this.