Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The Jethro Tull book editions are richly satisfying, too. 50-ish pages for each album. Piper 40th had exactly none (though the Syd notebook was cool), and Early Years, as you say, is sparse at best.

2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I bought the Madcap/Barrett twofer LP from 1974 recently and realized how much I like those songs. It's fascinating music. A shame Syd didn't have a few more in him.

3. anth67

Not sure about some of these.
    * One In a Million ~ could they really have improved on the circulating version? Woulda been cool for sake of completion, I guess.
    * Saucerful remixed ~ do they still have all the masters/multis for these sessions? Thought I read on these threads that they didn't. If they do, there are two additional unreleased tracks, then: "Richard's Rave Up" and "The Boppin' Sound"
    * Seabirds (the real one) ~ they almost certainly don't have this in the vaults
    * Atom Heart Mother suite remix ~ really? They gave us a completely different, never-before-heard mix already (that I think is one of the underrated gems of the box). Not to mention a quad mix on the dvd. Should they have included three different alt mixes of an album-side-length suite?
    * Previously released Zabriskie tracks remix ~ couldn't hurt, but they've done us pretty right between the four 90's outtakes, Violent Sequence demo on Dark Side Immersion, and another album's worth of further outtakes on EY. Granted, they included Unknown Song (aka Rain In the Country) in the previously released mix, when a very different mix circulates in inferior quality. And the film mix of "Come In Number 51" features a prominent organ track that changes the feel from the lean, gritty official version. But how much more attention could we really expect them to give this soundtrack? Nick sounded pretty excited about the EY stash they gave us.

But I'll still add to your list :pleased:, Free Four with the alternate lyric. They explained its absence was so it didn't sabotage the album's flow as a bonus track ~ but they could've gotten a little more daring and simply made it the version they included on the album remix. Why not, right?

I still do love the box very much, as Tony D said, it's a lot more than I ever expected from them ~ especially the '65 stuff, Beechwoods, & John Latham. Not to mention Roger's Boogie and even Hollywood ~ who thought they'd ever care about stuff like that?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
  4. anth67

Indeed. But, about another album's worth (of all different songs) has since been released, if you cobble them together.

I bought the twofer senior year of high school, after a friend enlightened me to "Relics" and I'd followed that with Piper (via the "Nice Pair" lp). Couldn't wait to hear another double album of Syd songs! Funny to say now, I was disappointed on first listen, the difference from Floyd was so jarring. Disoriented might be the word. But it quickly found a special place in my heart. Nothing else like it, nothing else to scratch its itch once you've got it.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    DTK likes this.
  5. happydeathman

happydeathman Forum Resident

The prices of the individual sets are slowly coming down on Amazon.

I’ve already got the 1965-67 one, but was wondering if any of the others are worth picking up. What sets do you guys recommend?

6. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Pop and rock expect -- and get -- much bigger sales than jazz, so pop/rock is more risk-averse.

Also, more of rock's biggest stars are still alive and well, and have control over what gets released. The giants of jazz are all gone, except for Sonny Rollins. Miles, Monk, Mingus, Duke, Billie Holiday, Coltrane, Ella, Dizzy, Charlie Parker, and many more, all gone, and long gone at that. In particular, I've often wondered if we'd have so much Miles out there if Miles had lived another 10-15 years.

As for Floyd, and every other classic rock act, the hardcores will never be truly satisfied anyway. I'm slowly picking up the individual modules of Early Years when I can, and it's great that they actually released as much as they did.

PyroMessiah, rontoon and anth67 like this.
  7. anth67

I agree in basic with your post. Solid point about the jazz artists. But it's also true Floyd lagged way behind most of their contemporaries ~ the Beatles, the Kinks, the Who, Grateful Dead, Tull, Funkadelic (even New Wave acts like Elvis Costello, the Pretenders) ~ in opening their studio vaults. Floyd ~ along with the Stones ~ just wouldn't budge. For how many years were one side of every single except Emily (not even outtakes) unavailable on CD, unless you bought a monetarily-themed box set of their biggest selling albums? (I passed.) When I spotted "The First Three Singles" in '97 I ran it to the cashier half expecting to wake up from a dream.

But that was then. They've now made up for it in spades. About time, Tull and the Who are on their second rounds, bonus tracks expanding to bonus discs. Of course I still want more Syd-era Floyd released...! But I no longer feel the Floyd camp has released an unreasonable quantity & quality.

8. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

For sure, if an artist is still alive, they tend to be less open to opening up the vaults. But if we can assume the rock/pop audience is bigger than jazz, wouldn’t they be less risk adverse — since there’s much larger market? There’s less risk.

9. Pants Party

That was my main point. Pink Floyd were one of the last major acts to open up the vaults. They’ve been super stingy with their stash. I always thought any of their live stuff and the Syd-era would have been a no-brainer. Easy sale.

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

No, there's more. If every project you've done in your whole career has gone gold, or come close to it, then that's your expectation. It's probably the expectation of your label too. Whether it's realistic or not is another question. If you're a mutiplatinum act, then expectations run even higher. What isn't in question is rock and pop still having a bigger audience than jazz. They do, and have since The Beatles, if not Elvis.

With jazz, it seems like sales volume is generated from releasing lots of live and archival stuff. One offshoot of rock does this to some extent-- jam bands.

Bringing it back to Floyd, they were responsible for three monsters -- Dark Side, WYWH, and The Wall. Most artists are lucky to get one, but three? They were massive, and rock bands really don't get much bigger.

I'm pleasantly surprised that Early Years actually got released. I hope it was considered successful.

PyroMessiah, footlooseman and rontoon like this.
  11. Pants Party

I do believe there's a perceived artistic or image risk, which is what I always felt was behind Pink Floyd's refusal (in the past) to do anything of the sort. Their big albums were perfect in the mind's of many, so why show their notes. That I get.

rontoon likes this.
  12. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

I can definitely recommend the Reverberation set. That's the set I listen to the most. The 15 minute version of Fat Old Sun just blows my mind!

13. Reamonnt

Reamonnt Mr.T

Do you think the Cambridge Station would be worth getting then too. Its currently 33 quid on amazon.co.uk.

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  14. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I wish it was still a possibility.

15. anth67

I wonder why these weren't (re?-)discovered and used for the Piper 40th. Guthrie seemed excited to have found the Interstellar Take 6 & alternate Matilda and to include them. Can't imagine there was a conscious decision, then, to exclude these other alt gems. Were these boxes in a different place than those he investigated?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Pants Party likes this.
  16. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

I seem to remember @botley talking about it...

17. Pants Party

If you're a fan of the Syd-era, then absolutely!

andrewskyDE and Reamonnt like this.
  18. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

I got the first two sets the other day and both are excellent. Been listening to the discs non-stop.

19. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

They're a lot cheaper on Amazon.de. £22 for Cambridge Station at present.

Reamonnt likes this.
  20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I asked someone involved why those tracks were omitted and he said no one knew they existed. They didn't bother to listen to the tape. Maddening considering there are only half a dozen tapes from the sessions. I suspect the same thing happen again for the Early Years.

Re surviving Piper reels the session tape for the spoken intro to Astronomy Domine exists.

21. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I still think that the most frustrating reason for an omission from this set was that Mr Jackson forgot about the Nothing parts that were available.

Really, though, it’s clear now that the research and efforts with securing the best quality footage and as much of it as possible were quite outstanding, within what was reasonable, but that the research and efforts with the audio could not be described in such terms.

22. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

The audio omissions for the "second half" (the years 1970-1972) are disappointing in general.
    In addition to the lack of Nothings, for example, what about some OBC. live recordings: such as the live extended "Childhood's End"?

23. Pants Party

That's nuts. I can understand that "not everything" gets included in these sort of projects, but like I said earlier -- the Syd-era is such a finite period. The left over goodies and alternates are just so preciously limited, that to not know or be bothered looking (?!?!?), is just plain silly.

If they're holding back for a planned Early Years Part II, fine. Otherwise, it's total nonsense.

24. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Pink Freud

There’s a fine release called Careful With These Tracks floating around out there, in pristine sound quality.

25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I agree that that track, live, in particular would have improved the set. It's not as if there was a "no audience recording" policy - the Hakone AHM audio is from a show on the late '71 US tour (which particular one escapes me - I believe rontoon compiled the visuals and audio at some point prior.) Anyway, that is an AUD track that doesn't even match the images (even though it's a good AUD and is really well synched) so one wonders why a good AUD without the need for a synch, however high quality (but necessarily imperfect), couldn't be included. The '67 AUD recording was included (and out of phase, at that.)

I must say, though, that I think the 1970 set is wonderful as it is (but the extra San Francisco footage that we now know about would have been amazing).*

*Incidentally, I'm still not sure - was that filmed at the Fillmore West (i.e. Carousel Ballroom) or the Fillmore Auditorium? I have seen references to both.