Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Are there any proper soundboard/multitrack tapes of concerts the band did with the few OBC songs?
    As I read/heard there's a radio broadcast from France with 'Childhood's End' and other songs but the recorded sound quality wasn't good.

2. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

only 3 tracks were ever played live from OBC ...title track and when youre in. these two songs were played at the start of every concert from 1973.
    and of course childhood's end played at the end of 72 and before march 10th? of 1973.
    as for SBD's? that radio broadcast you mention is it. It sounds good but not amazing.a low gen was leaked a few years ago sounded nicer than ever. No SBDs have come out from 1973.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The original Fillmore Auditorium.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Why would Andy forget about something that he was never involved with? He wasn't working with the band in 1971. And he had nothing to do with the research on this project, that would be the other Andy. Jackson simply worked on the audio that was handed to him.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

This is my favorite version of Childhoods End. The quality of the full resolution file is even better but this will give you an idea of how good it is. This is the version I sent to the band. A shame that they didn't include this as a download.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    RonBaker, Frozensoda, Kalli and 12 others like this.
  6. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

Brilliant.

Another good version is that of 9th December 1972 at Zurich.

7. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Part of the jam in the middle is a lot like the middle section of Echoes.

8. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Thanks, I bookmarked the YouTube Link so easy for me to find and play whenever I want(hope it does not get removed, as not sure how to Download YouTube Videos-I need to figure that out some day).

9. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Check your inbox.

10. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Does anyone know how well (or otherwise) this thing sold? Or the individual sets?

11. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

The big box is still expensive. That would lead me to believe that it sold pretty well.

12. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Don't forget the sparkling 80's bass!!

Thanks for the Childhood's End - I really enjoyed it.

rontoon likes this.
  13. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

You made my day man! I haven't heard this version before. It definitely needs to be added to my Continuation compilation including sonically superior sources of songs being used for the original plus some extras. Too sad it was omitted.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's a great performance of the song, isn't it? In fact, the entire show is great!

15. surfling

surfling Forum Resident

in germany at amazon you'll find it at half the original price ever since just before christmas.
    difficult to imagine they'd do that unless they still had quite a massive stock of the big box sets.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
    van1 likes this.
  16. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Obviously akin to the live-expanded "Fat Old Sun." I assume Gilmour himself rearranged these songs, inserting the additional sections? If so, kudos to him for providing these great Rick showcases. Some of his most wicked organ solos on record.

17. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I wouldn't assume it was Gilmour at this stage. I think that it may have been something worked out organically during rehearsals. A shame that the song was played so infrequently and eventually dropped.

18. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Love those hints of "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" in the solo, great share!

andrewskyDE, Hattipper and rontoon like this.
  19. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Oh. I thought he said subsequently that he knew about them but then forgot about them while compiling the box. I agree that he wouldn’t have done the research. I just thought he himself said this.

More than happy to be demonstrated to be wrong. It wasn’t meant to be an accusation.

bobloblaw and rontoon like this.
  20. central616

central616 Forum Resident

Also, most of the chord sequence in this part is equal to the verses of "Roger's Boogie" and again, some bits of it were reused in the intro of "In the Flesh". Pink Floyd was a band that recycles everything, except Syd-era tunes. Pretty interesting how reluctant they were to release or recycle songs or ideas from this era. I mean, why they didn't complete "In the Beechwoods"? This would be one of the greatest songs of the pre-DSOTM era, but ended just as a backing track forty years after it was recorded.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Was this from an interview? That's the first I'm hearing about that.

22. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

On the Anticip/ation forum, in November 2016, it was reported that, at the YouTube live event in Kings Cross, London with Nick Mason:

- Nothing Part 14 is from a 2 track stereo mix down. No multis survive. Andy Jackson knew nothing about the early Echoes with alternate lyrics that was featured on the BBC Record Producers documentary a few years ago.
    - Andy Murray (from PF management) mentioned Nothing Parts 1 to 24. He suggested that there were multiple surviving multi-track tapes (he indicated these were the same as featured in the Record Producers documentary when someone referenced them). He said that he had intended to include these when the project was in development and these tapes were lying about. However, Endless River took over and when the project received the final green light in December 2015, things moved so fast that this was forgotten.

BTW - lots of other snippets of information re the Early Years project were mentioned at that event, and discussed on the Anticip/ation forum.

23. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Right...thank you. So, my apologies to Mr Jackson for attributing something to him incorrectly. I got my Andys mixed up.

...and my scorn to the management and producers of this audio side of this who, apparently, simply forgot about something that was supposed to be on there!

seasonsinthesky likes this.
  24. WonkyWilly

WonkyWilly Forum Resident

There is a lot of stuff in the vault that they ignored for this box set...especially from the Syd years.

They also included stuff in poor quality because they couldn't be bothered to get better tapes.

A few weeks ago, people were making lame excuses like "the tapes wouldn't play". The truth is that this box set was very poorly researched and curated.

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm starting to think that all the care that went to restoring the video content of the box (generally excellent, except when a good source wasn't available) doesn't equal with the somehow careless work that was done with the audio part of the box set. I insist: I really like the box, but with every bit of new information we get, we realized how amazing it could have been.