Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Hymie the Robot

Hymie the Robot Forum Resident

Different mix equals different experience even downmixes...

mando_dan, andrewskyDE and albertop like this.
  2. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

You have to try... go into a store and plug your USB with the Meddle remix. I remember that's what I did with KC's Lizard, the day after I purchased centre and rear channels :laugh:

andrewskyDE likes this.
  3. Hymie the Robot

When it comes to Floyd, the four corner speaker experience is hard to beat. Truly an experience, especially if all four corners are full range.

zinan, albertop and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

Agree, it's essential for a PF fan!

Hymie the Robot likes this.
  5. Hymie the Robot

Quad DSOTM was my gateway to all things multichannel...there is no going back.

6. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

BTW, they always put up a new code when the old code expires (MakeMKV).
    www.makemkv.com • View topic - MakeMKV is free while in beta

7. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

Obscured By Clouds
    Just a short message/question:
    The lack of any extra material has been mentioned earlier in this forum, but, just to be clear:
    Is it reasonable to assume that any demos/outtakes don't exist since the album was made under time restraints in France, and all the songs were composed and recorded there and then in the studio?

8. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Well, for start, some of the released songs on the album sound like a demo/outtake... :)

NunoBento and Rooster_Ties like this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I think it's likely that all those session tapes were wiped after the band went back to the UK.

The film La Vallée contains alternative versions of some of the album's tracks (e.g. 'Burning Bridges' with different sounding vocals by Gilmour), which could be the only possible 'bonus' for us.
    Fact that mono tapes of the More film music (with extra songs and alternative versions) were found over the years and released for the box set, it makes me think that maybe also some (mono) tape of music for the La Vallée film is lying somewhere...

anth67 and Outside The Wall like this.
  10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Demos/outtakes that just happen to sound as good if not better than much of their remaining catalogue. Pretty amazing when 'demos' produce a top 3 album. :)

JulesRules likes this.
  11. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

just another revisitation....

Nothing Part 14 is such a great find. Sure I wish they'd released all the parts, but I'm very grateful for this one. Adding a real example to the Echoes creation myth ('we started with 24 different parts'), even by itself it offers precious insight into that process: what manner of building blocks they created and assessed to compile the final. And it's just a beautiful piece to listen to.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  12. Amen. I would adore more parts of "Nothing".

I doubt we'll ever hear any more (and maybe there aren't any more that even exist). But, yeah, "Nothing Part 14" is one of the coolest little bits of the whole set, along with the choir-less/brass-less studio version of "Atom Heart Mother".

Easy to overlook, amongst all the treasure-trove of interesting things throughout the set.

For a band than never released alternates, or bonus materials -- it really is astounding just how much we got in this Early Years box, despite some complaints here and there (not entirely invalid complaints, I realize). Still, my goodness, what band has ever released THAT much previously-unreleased archival material -- after PREVIOUSLY haven't released practically NO such material.

But I do wish there were 100 other such little bits like "Nothing Part 14" -- enough to assemble 3 or 4 homemade Endless River style compilations of instrumental material.

13. anth67

They do exist :) One of the compilers confirmed that in a q&a around the time of the box release. He said they simply forgot about them in all the shuffle :(
    Here here.
    Yeah, they were the absolute stingiest of all their contemporaries up until the box. I remember a quote from Gilmour from the 70s or 80s saying "people think we've got 30 unreleased songs. We don't." They did. Maybe he didn't remember all of them.
    Maybe they'll find an excuse to release the rest (deluxe Meddle with a fully sanctioned 5.1? Even Nick doesn't seem enamored with that album, though, alas). Can't help wondering if there are some utterly discarded jam gems, a la Take Off from Zabriskie, among the parts. Or the Embryo middle section, perhaps?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    Tristero, JediJoker and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I think it's possible we will see a proper release of the Meddle album remix (stereo and 5.1) in the future plus session outtakes (like 'Nothing Part 14'). Too obvious to be a box set.

zinan, Shvartze Shabbos and rontoon like this.
  15. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I do wish future releases would be better curated and designed though. I've harped on this before, but even the packaging design really feels the absence of Storm Thorgerson. He could be extravagant and even a little silly, but it never went as form over function as the Early Years box did. I'm also still unsold on the design used for The Endless River. If anyone wants to talk "fair forgery," that fits the bill for me. "Oh, what looks suitably symbolic and deep for a Pink Floyd album cover?" asked the men in the board room.

Beyond that, I compare the EY set with recent reissues by King Crimson and Jethro Tull and it just looks a mess. Throw out of consideration completely the audio glitches, hidden audio, etc. Just the running order makes for a very jumbled listening sequence and can even be a little unpleasant to the listener. Much more care could have been taken in creating a pleasing sequence of the material and, if nothing else, that was where the EY set fell flat for me. I could forgive everything else and, once ripped to a computer, the material can be enjoyed in whatever form or order one prefers, but that's not why any of us plunked down our $400 plus to pick this thing up.

So yeah, whatever comes next, make sure someone with the right set of eyes and insights does the packaging design and, for the love of God, just get someone in to not only curate a complete package, but also render it an interesting listen!

Not asking much here, am I? :laugh:

16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

It's fine to voice an opinion about being disappointed in a release but always best to stick to the facts.

17. anth67

I don't disagree about the track sequence, at least for the '67 and, to lesser extent, '68 volumes. Putting the three a-sides in a row, then two of the b-sides, then returning to Matilda makes little sense and doesn't flow well at all. Much better would've been:

Candy and a Currant Bun (a stylistic link between the '65 & '67 stuff)
    Arnold Layne
    Matilda Mother
    See Emily Play

(I'd have included Scarecrow, too, between Matilda & Emily.) The sequence from Jug Band on is great. As for '68, It Would Be So Nice certainly isn't a strong disc opener, but Point Me At the Sky ~ from the end of the year ~ doesn't work well, either, with what follows. Why not open with Julia Dream? I know Point gets repeated later as a BBC track, but it could've followed Careful comfortably with plenty of tracks in between and Song 1 would've flowed better out of that than Careful. (As Song 1 & Roger's Boogie aren't as polished soundwise, I do get why they're placed after both official singles even though they were recorded in between.)

First world criticism for sure! but such things do make a difference. Candy following Apples just isn't aesthetically pleasing, they're both really busy tunes (and must Emily always follow Arnold?). One disc they got right is Zabriskie. Someone took care to create a nice listening flow with those tracks ~ not easy with almost all instrumentals ~ with the epic AHM as the grand finale.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Runicen likes this.
  18. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Fair enough. My personal reception was definitely that it felt designed by committee rather than the type of design we've been spoiled by when it comes to Pink Floyd in the past. That said, I have no evidence to support that idea.

That also said, I still think it's a rubbish cover. :p

19. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

You make her sound like a stalker. :D

20. anth67

Given his favorite hobby, maybe they'd make a nice pair :p

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The cover was inspired by a pre-existing work and was never decided by committee. Like it or not. :cheers:

andrewskyDE and Runicen like this.
  22. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Since Storm left us, the Floyd artwork is not what it used to be.

23. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Ok, you've piqued my curiosity now. Can you point me to a source on this?

They still get a finger wag because I, their fan, dislike it subjectively - but I'm prepared to forgive them in my mercy. :winkgrin:

24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Meet the Teenage Artist Behind Pink Floyd's 'Endless River' Cover Art

I still wouldn't offer any mercy. I miss Storm. Nice guy, got to know him over a few days in Chicago. I haven't been happy with anything designed for the Floyd since his passing. TER was artwork was ripped off, no committee needed.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Runicen and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Do you guys mean the several covers for each year/volume in the set?
    The first thing that came on mind to me was the typeface which looks similar to what we see on The Final Cut.

[Edit:] Just reloaded the page, I see you meant The Endless River...^^