Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Gee! One channel on the Stockholm set must be reversed with Audacity to make it sound better, the Meddle remix is hidden and must be extracted to be played, the Atom Heart Mother quad mix must be extracted and burned again to be able to listen to the last seconds of the album, and now "John Latham" too?
    Have we bought a half-finished box set? :shrug:

2. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

For that they were working on it 10 years long (or even longer), this looks like a rush release, maybe for copyright protection reasons...
    Yes, there are complainings, but generally I'm glad that we got some stuff from the vaults officially now and most of the content is great nonetheless.

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I don't regret having bought the box set and I've had hours of joy listening and watching, but I've always thought that the production was obviously rushed.
    Let's cross our fingers for a well-done Animals re-release soon.

Big Pasi, zinan and andrewskyDE like this.
  4. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

And to add insult to injury, the Interstellar RSD 12" did NOT come with a download code, and the b-side was blank. Why not slap the 1965 tracks on there for those who missed out on that double 7"?

andrewskyDE likes this.
  5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Excited about the remix(es). Maybe some live recordings will be there, too (though there are doubts).

I was hoping the 1965 tracks would get a vinyl reissue but on a 12'' (or at least 10'') record. Loved the artwork of the double EP.

Rne likes this.
  6. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Let me doubt it seriously.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  7. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

That's one of the things I like most about the John Latham material. It doesn't sound like them. Or at least not what I would typically expect from Pink Floyd. There's certainly some restraint, as you say -- or as I initially interpreted it, space. It's also dry. Which puts the focus on the textural qualities of the sounds. In fact, that's the aspect that strikes me most -- the dryness.

Rooster_Ties, Chris M, asdf35 and 3 others like this.
  8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There is?

9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

James Guthrie said that a few times over the years. Don't know if he was working on it already or if it's still planned.

10. aphexj

aphexj Sound mind & body

Last we heard is that he was working on restoring the multi track tapes for the film soundtrack, first. No word if that was successful and if so whether he ever moved on to doing the album remix

rontoon and andrewskyDE like this.
  11. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

That's the last thing I remember hearing about it as well.

12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Wasn't there discussions that a surround mix of The Wall was at least vaguely planned?
    Seems I mix up things. I should write less then. I'm sometimes writing with bad memory anyway.

13. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I can only speak to the actual CDs. I'm not sure if the streaming services do any altering to the EQ. These really are the brightest masterings I've heard. Comparing the singles to prior masterings or the 2010 mix of Matilda Mother to the mastering on Introduction to Syd Barrett would reveal a major treble boost on The Early Years. Even comparing the singles to the DVD/blu-ray video soundtracks. The EQ is fine on the video soundtracks. The boost only happens on the CDs.

To each his own, though.

andrewskyDE and Chris M like this.
  14. mastaflatch

mastaflatch God's Only Nose

Is that a trend or are there only ''old ears'' involved in the process?

15. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

It's hard to believe that Andy Jackson was involved with the mixes in question.

16. A Saucerful of Scarlets

A Saucerful of Scarlets Commenter Turned Viewer

People like John Latham?

revolution_vanderbilt likes this.
  17. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I do, yes siree.

anth67 likes this.
  18. Nah, I don't buy it. It would cost the record companies and the streaming services big bucks if the same release was "retooled" for streaming. As far as I understand it's the same master that goes on CD. So I call foul.

19. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

I'm not saying it's different. I've never heard it so I can't say what it sounds like. I don't use streaming services. I assume some at least have auto-volume processing. Maybe some also use an auto-EQ processing. It's beside the fact, though. Whether you hear it or not, the treble boost is there.

20. A Saucerful of Scarlets

What do you like about it?

21. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

The sound of it :laugh:
    It's not a peak in Floyd's history, but it's a very enjoyable musical experiment.

22. A Saucerful of Scarlets

You're absolutely right. I've noticed this from the start. Every 2016 remix and master is far brighter than other versions. The worst offender is the 2016 Obscured remix. It is very hard to listen to because it's so bright. Going back to the original is like night and day. So bassy in comparison. The 2016 Pompeii remixes are also quite bad in that department, but the boost in sound quality from any version I've heard is so much I can totally excuse it, and it's not that bad.

I've listened to it through both Apple Music and Tidal.

Lol, fair enough :)

rnranimal likes this.
  23. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It does seem like maybe there is something to the idea of when they were mastered/mixed having to do with what material has the treble boost. Because the 1965 tracks sound fine but those use the exact same mastering as the 2015 release (confirmed with the pulled iTunes digital release). And the singles tracks on the video soundtracks sound good while the CD masterings of the same songs have a major treble boost. Maybe the videos soundtracks were mastered earlier.

24. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I agree on Obscured By Clouds. Way too bright.
    The Pompeii set, though, is a sonic disaster.

25. Raf

Raf Senior Member

I can hear the excessive treble (CDs and Apple Music streaming) and I suffer from tinnitus.

rnranimal likes this.