Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. I haven't listened to the John Latham material tons (maybe 5x since I bought the box around when it first came out), but I do think it's really interesting material. My first spin was on a small bookshelf system in my bedroom, and it didn't do much for me. But then I heard it on a much better system (long story, I'll spare you), and that really changed my mind.

So much, that I immediately spun it again, and really loved it the 3rd time too (2nd time in one sitting). And maybe it wasn't as much that I loved the material itself, as that I really enjoyed the experience of hearing it as it bubbled about, to and fro. I could see the band (in my mind's eye) as they played, and hearing the material more

I mean, it's at least as good as "Nick's Boogie", and I think the Latham tracks compliment "Nick's Boogie" and the 16-minute 'London 66/67' version of "I/O" really wonderfully.

As others have mentioned, I think the Latham material is surprisingly restrained, and nobody -- no one person -- really tried to 'showboat' or anything. Could it have been better, or more impressive? - sure, absolutely. But I think it succeeds for what it is quite nicely. Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, I realize.

2. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

If they had tried to "showboat" I'm sure they would have relied on some sounds and styles that they were familiar and comfortable with, and at that point it would sound more like the middle bit of Interstellar Overdrive or something similar, and wouldn't be as unique or valuable as what it became instead.

Rooster_Ties and anth67 like this.
  3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

LOOOOOOVE IT

[​IMG]

4. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Quick question , probably answered before but ... :)

Does anyone know if there will be a Later Years set to compliment this one? Or, the Immersion sets for DSOTM, WYWH, and the Wall are the compliment? (And if we get something for Animals ...)

5. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Something for Animals looks like to come. Now clue when exactly. Besides a surround mix and new artwork nothing much was confirmed.
    I personally hope we gonna see some anniversary box set for The Wall next year...

6. Nick Mason says there are no more plans for box sets or archival releases. He says he knows of the 'Animals' re-mix and that is it.

I suspect with Acoustic Sounds releasing 'Dark Side...' and 'Wish You Were Here" on multi-channel hybrid SACD, all of the albums will get this treatment over time.

7. kevin5brown

Thanks! So I'm now looking forward to Animals ...

Also, just for kicks. I noticed that these "special" editions are out there:

MFSL: AHM, Meddle, DSotM, the Wall
    Sony Mastersound: WYWH

Nothing for Animals or the Final Cut as far as I know. (Maybe I understand the lack thereof for TFC, even though it's my personal fave, but Animals? Come on ... That's a missed opportunity IMO. :) )

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
  8. No, there never have been "audiophile" reissues of 'Animals' or 'The Final Cut'. The ones you list are from about 20 years ago and earlier. There was a SACD 30th Anniversary edition of "Dark Side..." and a SACD with new mixes and surround for "Wish You Were Here", about 5 or so years back.

I guess there have been rumblings around here of a Animals tour show being released. Mason chuckled and said he knew nothing of that. I find that so bizarre, the biggest band in the world and they weren't multi-tracking shows or making decent 2 track soundboards. It's always sounded a little fishy to me.

9. As many Floyd fans who cite Animals as their #1 Floyd album (or certainly one of their top 3) -- and/or as the single most underrated Floyd album -- you'd have to think that there'd be a boatload of people who would jump on any kind of expanded "Immersion"-type Animals set.

I know, I know -- it's really just three (3) songs (Sorry, the "Pigs on the Wings" pale in comparison to the others). But still, it's every bit the masterpiece that WYWH is. And for deeper fans, even better than the (often thought of as overplayed) DSotM and Wall.

Clean up the Oakland soundboard, and that'd make a lot of people pretty happy. I've had that show on a silver-disk boot (this one, on Great Dane) for over 25 years now, but I'd pretty gladly buy a new one legit, if given the chance. Or some other equally good show (I know I've heard a few, can't keep them all straight).

Of course, in my wildest dreams, they'd release those working-tapes versions -- i.e. the "extraction tapes" -- though the vocals are a little dicey in more than a few spots.

I only sort of half-begrudgingly picked up the big Dark Side Immersion box, but I decided to just make due with the 2-disc WYWH set (because the extra audio CD was really all I needed there). No interest in The Wall Immersion (though if I ever found a cheap copy of just the two discs of demos, I'd be temped I suppose).

But I would probably pre-order an Animals Immersion box.

JulesRules, Big Pasi, zinan and 4 others like this.
  10. kevin5brown

:D

11. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

No more plan$$$ for any more boxed $$$et$$$??

Larry C. McGinnis III and Kalli like this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I doubt they all will. I'll bet Animals and Meddle will be the end of it.

13. There's no point in remixing a few and not all. We will see. It's Pink Floyd, that brand can sustain a catalouge wide remix SACD campaign and be successful.

14. EndlessRiver

EndlessRiver Forum Resident

Meddle and Animals Immersion sets would be great. Also, a SACD box w extra live n demos of all possible albums would be great. Hopefully the Acoustic Sounds sacd sets for Dark Side and WYWH will be released before the end of the year as they previously represented.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

There’s no point in remixing some and not all? It’s not as though there are economies of scale in mixing all of them. The return on investment for, say, Ummagumma would be far less than, say, Animals. And that’s just the financial side of it. What about the technical challenges - both known (ex: The Wall) and unknown?

Tristero likes this.
  16. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

That's an audience recording from Oakland '77, not a soundboard. There are no complete soundboards from 1977, unless somebody (other than the band) is sitting on one.

Like you, I picked up the Dark Side Immersion, and the WYWH double. Wasn't sufficiently enticed by The Wall to buy.

I don't pre-order anything (a "pre-order" is just an order), but an Animals Immersion would be an instant purchase.

andrewskyDE and Rooster_Ties like this.
  17. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I thought it has been said that the band made recordings of the Animals tour. @rontoon, didn’t you suggest this once?

18. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Not all BBC sessions were saved. There is a bootleg where John Peel introduces an of the air recording of Jugband Blues from a BBC session explaining the original tapes are lost.

19. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Just in the case of DSOTM. There was a retail chain here in the UK (Music Zone ?) that had stacks of Dark Side SACD's selling for £5, it's the only time I have ever seen a Pink Floyd release so heavily discounted. Any future Floyd SACD would be a limited release as was WYWH.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Yes, all the shows were recorded on a Nak. Whether or not they were soundboard or open air recordings is still unknown.

And I don't recall Nick saying that there wouldn't be anymore boxes. His recent remark about not being able to find any live recordings from the tour was him just being cheeky.

21. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

True, the actual masters were lost and the BBC has been using off-aide recordings for re-broadcasts of the '67 sessions. Until the 2000s when a better source surfaced for some of the 9/67 songs. They are from copies made by an engineer who took them home and sound stellar. His copies have yet to surface but someone he made a cassette for of one of these shows circulated MP3s of each side of the tape. The BBC made a digital broadcast of one of those MP3s. This included Flaming, Set the Controls and RiG. Later, the 2nd side MP3 was circulated but I'm not aware of the BBC broadcasting that. Only Flaming in the Early Years set sources from this upgraded source, even though we know the BBC has at least Set the Controls and RiG because they broadcasted them. It's possible they don't have Scarecrow which is on the 2nd side of the cassette copy (though it was widely available on the internet). Either way, the whole session (and possibly the 12/67 sessions) exist in this upgraded form.

22. Acoustic Sounds have announced they will be releasing those two titles, maybe 4th quarter of this year. I am only reporting facts. As for a "limited release", nothing of the such has been announced.

23. Nick Mason? ...just being cheeky?? Goodness gracious, not our Nick! ;)

marc with a c and rontoon like this.
  24. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

I still hope we get more than just a fragment of Reaction in G as a BBC session.

25. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

The fragment is unfortunately what is on the upgraded source as that's the way it was broadcast.