Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Glad you were here to give this an informed and proper answer!

rbichamp and rontoon like this.
  2. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

What are you saying? They had nothing to do with this at all?

3. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

The condition of this release demonstrates quite nicely the current relationship of the remaining band members to the band they once played in and that is a frightening disinterest. I assume that none of them let themselves get carried away to go into detail with the content before publication (except Waters in one point with the result of skipping material). Neither Mason, let alone the others, seem to have the faintest idea of what we are discussing here. It might be an understatement but it is sometimes breathtaking how carefree Mason flaunts his disinterest and ignorance in interviews. As a fan you almost have to win the impression that one has 100% delegated the work to semi professionals in compiling the material, collecting the royalties and that's it. In this respect, Jethro Tull or King Crimson makes you feel a little better. - Remark: reading it again I find my comment is a bit harsh, I am happy to have this release, I like Mason and I am looking foward to his concert next Saturday, but well you know...

4. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

If you were Pink Floyd or their management would you anncounce that? I certainly would not.

5. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I gave this a listen on Apple Music and I was pleasantly surprised. The new mixes are really good and I heard some songs for the first time. This will definitely become one of my most streamed albums on Apple Music.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

It's funny how this thread is full of all kinds of insider information about how poorly this box was assembled, by people who know Floyd's management and are writing books about Floyd and so forth.

Yet people still enter without actually reading the thread to complain that we are picking on poor Pink Floyd. Is it so hard to believe that 70 year old rock stars are relying on idiots to do this stuff, and would rather be sitting on a beach in Tahiti?

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Regarding the specific.thing we're discussing, I highly doubt it. Paul makes these kinds of financial decisions for the band.

But overall Nick was actively involved in producing this release but his memories and knowledge are fairly limited compared to many hardcore fans.

8. Raf

Raf Senior Member

Is there a comprehensive list of TEY tracks that are available in better quality "out there"? If it was in this thread I missed it.

9. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

In three days’ time, Saturday 15th September, I think it would be appropriate to take a break from the ongoing discussion about quality issues with the Early Years package, and take some time-out to listen to some Pink Floyd tracks, early period or not, that allow Richard Wright to shine.

It will be the tenth anniversary of his passing.

10. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

The longer live versions of Fat Old Sun sprang immediately to mind.

11. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Wow 10 years already! That is crazy. The last 10 years have flown past (my mother died the same year).

Runicen and rontoon like this.
  12. Outside The Wall

Outside The Wall Forum Resident

When recording for the Zabriskie Point soundtrack, Pink Floyd had Antonioni on their backs in the studio, apparently most of the time, so that, as we know, multiple versions of the tracks resulted. He asked for retakes and alterations so that a different feel or effect was achieved.

One of Richard Wright’s finest moments was “The Violent Sequence”/”The Riot Scene”.
    Another take on this so that a different feel was achieved, was after the Zabriskie Point sessions were concluded:
    “The Violent Sequence” live was a triumph.

So, I recommend “The Violent Sequence” live at Paris, January 1970 for a listen this weekend.

Unfortunately, there’s not an official release of this in the Early Years box set!

13. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

Hopefully they'll take note of those better sourced recordings in future Immersion sets... But I'm probably wrong.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

TVS worked well as a juxtaposition for the film's visuals and was the foundation for Us & Them but as a live performance is was a snoozer. Boring.

Deek57 likes this.
  15. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Why on earth isn't Biding My Time included in the box set? Did they just forget it or something?

Big Pasi, marmalade166 and DTK like this.
  16. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Probably because it's available on Relics. The live version of it is included on the Amsterdam 69 recording.

drum_cas, andrewskyDE and Alofter like this.
  17. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

But a lot of other songs on Relics are included in the box set. They just left out Biding My Time? That doesn't make any sense.

anth67 and Big Pasi like this.
  18. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

They keep it exclusive to "Relics" so people still have to buy it, of course.

19. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

That sucks.

20. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

A lot of other songs? You mean See Emily Play, Arnold Layne and Paintbox?

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  21. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Yes, plus Julia Dream and Careful with That Axe, Eugene.

22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

On the contrary, said person was probably given a promotion.

23. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Maybe that would have been then best place to make this decision.

24. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Well... they did include "Embryo", which on CD was exclusive to the "Works" compilation. They could have done the same.
    Why doing this for one compilation and not for the other ?

25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I think "Biding My Time" should have been included. Its omission doesn't bother me because we have it on Relics, but if "Embryo", which hadn't been released as a single, was included, "Biding My Time" should have been picked too.

JulesRules, anth67 and Runicen like this.