Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac Thread Starter

Nope, they just search for titles and descriptions. Doesn't matter if they're registered.

2. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

the audio was 4 seconds of noise from a live tape. No fan could even tell you which song it was.

3. rontoon

And the title of that video is:
    Pink Floyd 1967-12-22 Christmas On Earth, Olympia Exhibition Halls, London

supermd and Lost In The Flood like this.
  4. GreenGringo

GreenGringo Well-Known Member

It was actually inside the tape box listed in Parker's book as the French EP version, which it was originally intended to be. Parker assumed the actual French EP version was in there, but it's actually the short alternate. The actual French EP version on the Piper Deluxe is a very good needledrop. So all in all it was pretty good deal - two versions from one.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  5. SoundAdvice

Some of the BBC stuff is still up on youtube, with proper labelling. Some of what they yanked seems random.

6. rontoon

Bots.
    A video of mine was pulled which was of a friend playing Mother on acoustic guitar in my backyard!

7. SoundAdvice

For the recent Gilmour tour they were militant for yanking stuff, but that audience recordings would have to done manually.

8. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

These are the two tracks I'd most like to hear:
    • Bike (RM1, alternate vocals/lyrics, no harmonium)
    • Lucifer Sam (RM1, early version)

and if there are any alternate takes of "Vegetable Man" with vocals. Also, there is another complete take of "Scream Thy Last Scream". Would love to know if Nick or Syd are doing lead on that.

Laservampire likes this.
  9. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

That quick Floyd clip is from a film with Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" as the soundtrack.

10. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Great summary, Catbirdman...

The fact that the Untitled master (Take 7) and John Latham Version 1 have the exact same track timing (4:32) suggests that Untitled is included, but maybe it's a coincidence.

Other unreleased studio material not included, in some cases understandably:

Green Onions (Tomorrow's World, December '67) seems absent, perhaps due to licensing issues(?). It has a consistent voiceover, but it's pretty much the best voiceover ever. Syd really wails on guitar; it's great how well some of the band's last recordings with him return to their R&B roots, also with the rave-up jam on the BBC Vegetable Man that same month.

See Emily Play - acetate with alternative mix, slightly more prominent guitar and longer fade (there was also another acetate with the official mix).

Candy And A Currant Bun - acetate with alternate vocal and lyrics, seems like a transitional version between "Let's Roll Another One" and the official b-side.

Let's Roll Another One / Instrumental (January '67) - low-fidelity, instrumental rehearsals

Interstellar Overdrive (date unknown, used for CBC interview) - broadcast circa December '66-January '67, it's likely the earliest recording of IO, predating the October '66 version. A fair amount of it plays without the voiceover.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2016
    goodiesguy, bobloblaw, Sytze and 2 others like this.
  11. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

The 5.1 mixes was what I most liked about this box set.

12. rnranimal

rnranimal Senior Member

It's been a while since I've compared, but I recall one acetate Emily had a slightly different mix and the other was the album mix, but with the extra guitar ending which was faded early for the single release.

13. SoundAdvice

4:17.

rnranimal likes this.
  14. Marsh1

Marsh1 Forum Resident

This was really well put together! Cheers to you for compiling it sir. I like that you use statements such as 'we think' rather than 'we know'. Something we all would do well to keep in mind.

rbichamp and Lost In The Flood like this.
  15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Why were these mixes pulled?

16. Further

Further Forum Resident

To take away the value of the box? Haha. Just kidding. Sort of. Who knows other than they thought they could milk more from the fans with separate 5.1 releases.

Seriously, the more I read about this set and the inferior sources / bootleg quality/ failure to research properly, etc., the more I'm thinking on cancelling my preorder. Pulling those 5.1 mixes is really a sore spot for me with regards to the value of this set. The fact that they are commanding the price they are and can't even be bothered to give us the best possible quality available doesn't help matters.

17. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

How did you discovered this?

18. peteham

peteham Senior Member

I am cancelling. Bummer. Thanks for the info.

19. rontoon

That's your choice. But keep in mind that it would seem that they got the overwhelming majority of this release right. Unfortunately most of our loss comes from the all-important Barrett years. :cry:

20. GreenGringo

I believe they were given the go-ahead to include the French EP version, so they pulled the tape and transferred it - but it contained the "lost" Take 6 instead. That posed the problem of not having a tape for the French EP version, so they used my friend's needledrop, which I was well familiar with already. When shown Take 6, the powers-that-be said "why not". I suspect that if the tape hadn't already been transferred by mistake, it would be amongst the lot "missing" from the upcoming box. So in the end we got two for the price of one, because of a mislabeled/misfiled tape box.

21. BMV

BMV Well-Known Member

Rontoon I have thought the same thing! To me it's an obvious move to go on the forums where the really knowledgable people are and enlist their help! Imagine how the box set would look then? Why on earth would they not do this?

Hallucalation, I don't know what track you were referring to, but when you mention it in terms of punk energy, I think of Vegetable Man-is that the one you meant? Sunshine to a degree as well, that one has a new wave/punk feel. I've said it before, Syd was literally avant garde. Brings the term interesting to a whole new level.

Final thought, if they had RIG on the Beat Club news, why not release it? Sure sounds like a studio take!

Chris M likes this.
  22. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

If they end up releasing the Meddle and OBC surround mixes on smaller releases (for example, standalone SACDs), it might work out better.

I'm disappointed that the surround mixes were pulled because I think that this is the most logical place to put them (especially as there is the rather odd new stereo mix of OBC) but if the come out later on cheaper releases at least everyone has the chance to get them without getting the box or the individual releases from this box which are presumably going to be more expensive than a standalone SACD would be. They could have made them part of the material that is only available in the box.

All that said, it will be majorly lame-o if the surround mixes remain unreleased.

23. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

The omission of these, or one of them, is strange. Nick Mason said in a 2013 interview that 'Let's Roll Another One' would definitely be included in an Early Years set.
    But then again, he also thought the song was part of the Broadhurst Garden tracks (that also spawned Lucy Leave, King Bee etc.) which is not the case of course.

24. Nightswimmer

Nightswimmer Forum Resident

In addition some of the missing stuff are alternate takes which are rarely interesting in a pop music context, except for Bob Dylan, of course. And alternate mixes are even less relevant, except if you are a Pink Floyd scolar, but then you have it already...

pekkahe likes this.
  25. GreenGringo

What gives you that impression? At least four out of the seven missing "Piper" tracks have the potential to be quite interesting...

Bike (alternate lyrics)
    Lucifer Sam (early version)
    Chapter 24 (alternate take)
    Interstellar Overdrive (unedited)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.