Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Forum Resident

All I'm interested in Floyd-wise would be a standalone issue of ASOS in mono. Even the illegal digipack of that is hard to find now. Still, at least this set means I will likely to be able to get it more easily by illegitimate means.

Grissongs likes this.
  2. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

When asked about the inclusion of the Meddle and AHM quad mixes, here's the reply from Andy Jackson:

Yes, they're on it. A new Pompeii mix too (which is surround, although not exactly bombasticly so, as it's a 'gig').

3. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

As a fan I'll buy this but I'm really hoping its way less than $700

steveharris likes this.
  4. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

When was he asked that question?

5. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

This is a bad time for any Pink Floyd fan that has to eat

Esperanzan, Octowen, zobalob and 18 others like this.
  6. mattazing

mattazing Forum Resident

Somebody asked him on the QuadraphonicQuad Forum.

7. viennesewaltz

viennesewaltz Forum Resident

For a band that existed until 1994, I would say 1972 is definitely early.

8. floydfan2410

floydfan2410 Forum Resident

That's interresting. I wouldn't think Pompeii would be released as content in a box set. In my opinion it deserves a stand-alone release.
    But if they include it, they better include Chit Chat With Oysters too!

Sigma6 likes this.
  9. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

Maybe it will see a stand alone release in addition tk being in the box. I don't see why not. The DVD is nice, but it's been in need of an update for quite some time.

10. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Are the multi channel versions going to be SACD or DVD?

11. GowG

GowG Forum Resident

DVD isn't nice, sound is no-noised and it runs nearly semitone faster.

Mr. H likes this.
  12. Mr. H

Mr. H Forum Resident

I stand corrected. I was unaware of the issues. It only proves my point further that it needs an upgrade. It needs a proper wide release outside of a huge box targeted at collectors.

GowG likes this.
  13. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

I was asking not to justify the price but to see if it's possible to fit all the studio albums in 24/96 on a single Blu ray or would it take multiple.the last box sets had the CD ,DVD and blu ray of the Album,if the same format is followed that would waste more of the 22 discs we know of.For now.

14. Sigma6

Sigma6 Forum Resident

Hopefully Blu-ray. Also hope they include all the audio in hires on Blu-ray.

rd1, Simon A and Mr. H like this.
  15. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I know what you are saying. My brother who works for a major label has told me many times that record companies like boxsets, because they never get remaindered. However, when I look at that set with all it's book/slip-cases, shiny facsimile posters, digitally processed facsimile single covers and its size and its god-knows-what-else, I ask myself – 'what happened to the thing we all loved?' – i.e. the music. Music that used to come in nice simple single cardboard LP covers and cheap jewel-cases and that people without hedge funds could buy. Don't get me wrong - I'm happy the PF Industry Machine has put this music out at last – but at what cost? And I do not just mean financial. (I'm not arguing for DL files either because they really are a waste of money.)

16. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I always wonder who has the time to listen to 27 Cd boxsets. I find 5 CD sets hard enough.

Lovecraft, Bonddm and bobcat like this.
  17. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

So we'll have to wait until 4pm again?! :/

18. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

So we'll have to wait until 4pm again?! :/

19. The Bishop

The Bishop Forum Resident

You're right. What happened to rock 'n' roll? Everything is so corporate these days, it stinks.

Anderson, Rabin, Wakeman, are playing local to me next year, and the cost is getting on for £100.

And you can also pay extra for meet and greet's, and the soundcheck...whoopie doo.

"If you want to count me, count...me...out."

bobcat likes this.
  20. Josip

Josip Forum Resident

OK, so now there's Rick Wright photo on PF's official Facebook... The pattern has been broken... :)

Craig Williams likes this.
  21. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

The cost is the thing that confuses me, I fully understand the cost to them with all the collating of archives and prep work that goes into these things but prices in the hundreds will undoubtedly put most people off. If this hits the shelves at $500-700 or £400-500 that is certainly in England a third of most peoples monthly wage packet and the cost can not be justified on music. If the set is released as we have seen it with no way to build these sets then it will become an elite item and many who are tech savvy will simply vote to illegally download and the ones who are not will go without or listen on an upload to Youtube.

A much more sensible approach would be to break up this set into the 7 volumes with the singles maybe being housed in the over-sized box with the room for the volumes to be added as we buy them. If they did a program like that then this will sell much higher amounts than it is going to. Obviously that is based on what little info we have.

jlf, Catbirdman, Chellovek and 3 others like this.
  22. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The price tag isn't that confusing. The music industry is bleeding the last drop from sales of physical media. And the target group is people who still buy physical media, and within that group a fair percentage have a hefty disposable income, and that will guarantee they sell enough units to make a profit. Very cynical, for sure.

Esperanzan and PhantomStranger like this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

The price tag isn't that confusing. The music industry is bleeding the last drop from sales of physical media. And the target group is people who still buy physical media, and within that group a fair percentage have a hefty disposable income, and that will guarantee they sell enough units to make a profit. Very cynical, for sure.

24. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

SO want the quad & 5.1 mixes and a mono SFOS and I'm more than interested in the rest of the rumoured material (the compilation of BBC video material that has been part of the BBC Floyd nights over the past few years is wonderful), but £500+ ?

Hoping for separate Quad/5.1 on either SACD or Blu, as per Wish and Division Bell and even Endless River to an extent. With separate Quad/5.1 releases I'd happily drop £200 on an iTunes boxset for the rest and I'd love a higher quality official release of Point Me At The Sky than was on the early singles disc in Shine On.

25. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

It wasn't even one from the "early years" either...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.