Pink Floyd The Early Years 1965-1972 -Anticip/ation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rontoon, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

I guess because they can - having access to the tapes? This is good news, can't get enough of that album.
    I welcome a "different" version.

This may be what I jump to, after the Syd stuff!

2. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

How long ago, though? The master tape of the Ummagumma live album are supposedly in very poor shape. So poor that the album was not remastered by Doug Sax in the 90s & I am not sure if it has ever actually been remastered form the original tapes. It is possible that the original IO is even in worse shape.

3. Phillip Walch

Phillip Walch Forum Resident

That is why I thought of doing away with the outer box so I only have volumes. Then it wouldn't feel so split hopefully.

I thought that €414 would split down quite well into

7 x Volumes €224 = €32 a box
    5 x 7" Singles plus memorabilia with display box €100
    DVD versions €90 (I would sort a secure, suitable DVD case for them and nice cover to at least make it feel decent)

The DVDs sounds a lot to me but then if someone wanted the 5.1, quad and all the video but was not too bothered about the other stuff its not too bad.
    So I would simply end up with 7 volumes plus the 2CD which would be a nice set.

I have a couple of people who are thinking about this split so do tell me what you all think of the price split please. I am not in the game of ripping people off if my orices are wacky.

4. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

I'm surprised all the Meddle material didn't get a release on its own.

5. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Grazie! Just went there too. If I did my translations correctly it came to about $380-ish.

6. I really think because the 1972 selection to release was so sparse. Look at that "section of the box", had they not done that- there would of been next to nothing to release. I'm glad even though Dark Side was played through out '72, they kept everything OBC even if it was a measly selection to pick from

supernaut likes this.
  7. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

My guess is a SACD release in the future and while they were working on it threw it in this box,why remix an entire album that nobody was asking for,or not.

8. dsky

dsky Little Blue Light

No sign of it on Amazon.co.jp yet. Pretty curious as to their pricing. I can imagine postage of this monster could be pretty high...

9. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

Also the film versions are all different takes as far as I can tell,I really like Burning Bridges,the slide guitar is way more ethereal,so they could have included that,IF they had the tapes of course.

10. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Agreed on both posts. So much Syd stuff is missing.

Shouldn't be, at least for the first '67 session. There's a pre-FM master existing of the whole Top Gear show!

asdf35 likes this.
  11. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

The track bootleged as 'Sunshine' is unrelated to the Latham recordings. "Sunshine" (sic) is the backing track for an untitled Syd original recorded September 4th 1967 at Sound Techniques. A fairly major omission.

The John Latham session dates from October 20 1967 at De Lane Lea....this was the final day at De Lane Lea - the day following the brass overdubs for Jugband Blues. The very stuff of legend. More on this session later...

12. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

Is there any chance that the 2010 mix of In The Beechwoods has a vocal? Sorry if this has been discussed already.

13. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

I wonder if they got wrong and listed some of No Title as part of Latham CD section?

asdf35 likes this.
  14. billy1

billy1 Forum Resident

Don't know when it was originally bootlegged, but IO turned up about 7, or 8? years ago on 'Careful With These Tracks' albeit in lossy form. It also contained 'A Saucerful Of Secrets' wholly from Mother's. The version on Ummagumma used a composite of Mothers and the Manchester recording. I think. The quality is O.K, not great but still better than some of the other 68, 69 stuff that is being released, unless they have some big upgrades over what has previously circulated. Perhaps the tapes are shot and they feel live IO has sufficient representation within the set anyway.

Where's Rontoon when you need him.

15. Chris M

Biggest omission for me is the substantially different early mixes (both RM1) of Bike and Lucifer Sam. Bike RM1 has a different vocal performance with some alternate lyrics. Lucifer Sam RM1 has alternate vocals as well in addition to lacking an entire layer of overdubs added later for the LP.

Several radically different early versions of Paintbox as well. The first version recorded has no keyboards at all....just bass, drums, Syd's guitar with Rick's vocals. The 45 version was a later re-make.

goodiesguy, PH416156, zobalob and 5 others like this.
  16. Chris M

Not sure I follow. "No Title" is listed on the tracklist? I'm not somewhere I can look it up.

zobalob likes this.
  17. J_D__

J_D__ Senior Member

It seems odd to me that Animals has been left out of the immersion type set.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  18. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

the singles weren't remastered for the 2011 campaign, right?

19. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

Are the tapes for No Title known to still exist?

20. hallucalation

No. I mean they possibly confused some of the Latham takes with No Title and included it as part of Latham outtakes. We will see in November

21. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Only See Emily Play for the compilation release in 2011.

qtrules likes this.
  22. Chris M

Absolutely. 1/2" 4-track reel numbered E68411. Contents are 7 takes of "Untitled" Take 7 labeled best along with unnumbered rehearsal heard in reverse surviving at the end of the reel.

23. Chris M

Can't imagine they did as they are on different reels from different studios. It looks like they gave us the entire contents of E68416 which is the Latham 4-track. Never in my wildest dreams did I think that would happen.

24. Alternative4

Alternative4 One of These Days I'll Get an Early Night

Wow! Great content, but based on the price I am out. A real shame given the fantastic surround content (OBC is my favourite Floyd album) and (finally) the BBS stuff.

Do we expect the St Tropez and KQED shows to sound significantly better than the bootlegs? Are there multi-track audio sources for those? Same goes for the BBC sessions.

Runicen likes this.
  25. hallucalation

Paired with master tape of Stockholm on same CD!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.