Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Four)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Oct 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

In 5.1, thunder is awesome, and I rarely use that word ! :laugh:

2. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

Yes, and perhaps I need to hear a dozen....maybe two dozen more times that I need to hear the songs in context and in 5.1, with my thumb in my mouth and my foot placed on a beach towel while I lean forward, balancing myself on an ostrich to really, truly understand just how good it is.

No Bull likes this.
  3. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

Kind of underwhelming, to be honest.

4. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

It is a bit soft, but if the whole LP is like Anisina, personally I will enjoy listening to it, whether it is Floyd, Gilmour-Mason, Gilmour Mason Wright, the Moody Blues or Anderson, Bruford, Wakeman, Dewie, Cheatum and and Howe.

I like the blend of the sax and guitar, but damn-I wish that was Dick Parry.

willy and Lownote30 like this.
  5. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Do you think there are gonna be regional releases? made in the usa, EU? or all boxes are gonna be made in the EU like the division bell boxset.

6. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

Guess this leaked cause I've seen a few people on facebook saying they're not liking the album. Might have to see if I can sample it to decide if the purchase is worth it for me.

edit - I think they're just messing with people, not seeing a leak anywhere

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  7. Smiths22

8. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

You've made it clear to everyone you won't like this album. Why keep posting the same comments over and over? Move on to something you *DO* like. Life is too short to be so miserable.

Six String, willy, JimSpark and 4 others like this.
  9. Wyoming

The production from the songs and samples so far is shocking by Floyd standards. Dave's slide/steel guitar sounds like a dying goose, with not much contrast from the sax.

Smiths22 likes this.
  10. Wyoming

Actually, I replied to a new song, so it's not the same thing.

So internet forums should only consist of praise? How boring and anti-intellectual.

I'm a huge Pink Floyd fan, truly shocked at the dismal quality of what I've heard so far.

Mazzy, lobo and Smiths22 like this.
  11. Smiths22

i really really hope the other elevator music leak will be fake.

12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

Ironically, your comments have become rather boring and repetitive. You offer nothing that's spurred any healthy or intellectual discussion.

One entire post in this thread would've been enough to get your singular point across. Move on.

Carserguev and Myke like this.
  13. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Have to admit that after a few listens, "Anisina" hasn't really grabbed me. A little too much of that soprano sax "Terminal Frost" vibe (which is actually a track I like much more in comparison).

Still looking forward to anything with both David and Rick on it, so nothing really diminished here.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  14. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Not impressed by Anisina - pretty poor really.

15. Wyoming

Actually, I've critiqued what I've heard in specific detail, and stayed away from platitudes. I've responded timely to each new snippet or song release, and applied my thoughts.

What you've done here is completely move way from the topic and engage into forum meta, which is boring and serves no purpose at all. Also, you might want to refrain from bullying posters into having only opinions you agree with.

16. DrKlahn

DrKlahn Member

Or just accept that it's not for you and move on. Nothing wrong with that. I like the band Cake. I didn't care for their latest album. Had a chit chat with friends about the album shortly after its release. I told them my issues with the album and why didn't care for it. I didn't belittle or criticize them for liking it . They accepted my opinion as well and we just moved on to other topics.

Or you could continue lobbying for your admittance into the Department of Redundancy Department.

17. Wyoming

Nice story, but I haven't criticize anyone here, only the artists behind the songs and samples so far.

vinyl diehard likes this.
  18. lobo

lobo Music has always been a matter of Energy to me...

I refuse to believe that Anisina is really a Pink Floyd "song" until proven otherwise. This stuff is so cringeinducingly bad, that it hurts to think of it as the Floyd farewell... I didn't expect anything from this shameless cash in, but boy this is even worse than The Beach Boys "Radio" album... if it's really them. Anyway, it was a bad idea from the beginning. They had the perfect ending playing together live for one last time. That was an honourable way to end a great band. Everything that follows can only belittle their great legacy.

Wyoming likes this.
  19. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Well, unlike TDB set, this release is apparently being released via Columbia (at least in the US, afaik).

20. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Interview with Nick Mason: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...not-entirely-sure-pink-floyd-is-over-20141031

A nice quote..
    "Are the vaults empty now? Are you guys done reissuing the old albums?
    Oh no. [Laughs] I can assure you that our record company has no doubts at all that there's more box sets to be done. Recently, I've seen two videos. One on the Genesis story and one on Spandau Ballet, both of which were really good. I hope that at some point we might do something like that. I think there's no substitute for visuals to go with music. I hope at some point we do some sort of anthology of the band with video."

21. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

What specific detail - about sucking your thumb and riding an ostrich in order to like this music? What intellectual analysis - "toothless adult contemporary muzak"?

LOL.

22. Wyoming

It is indeed shocking.

At this point, from what we've heard so far, TER may very well be a legacy-damaging record.

23. DrKlahn

DrKlahn Member

That example was not meant to hint you have attacked anyone personally. It was providing an example of an artist who's work I generally like that produced something I didn't care for and how it was handled. I could have made a point by point list of everything I found wrong with the album with and tried to fuel a debate with my friends who liked it, but that would not have been productive or helpful.

Yes, you're attacking the music that we've heard so far, but you're doing so by simply repeating the same criticisms over and over. It's not adding anything to the discussion at this point. The tacked on hyperbole (frat boy, crappy keyboard model XYZ, sucking your thumb, etc) comes off as petty and cheapens your points. If you choose to give the whole album a spin with an open mind, I'd be interested in hearing your opinion on it. I've liked most of what I have heard so far, but reserve final judgement until I can sit down and hear the whole thing.

The latest release, The tacked on hyperbole (frat boy, crappy keyboard model XYZ, etc) feels petty as well. Anisina, isn't my favorite I've heard thus far. but to me it seems more hamstrung by trying to follow the upbeat keyboard work (which they can't change) than by anything else. Still I may feel differently about it when I can listen to it on my main setup and in the context of the album.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
    Carserguev likes this.
  24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Sounds like the company has the right idea, cashgrab or not. Visuals would be nice, perhaps a collection of promo clips and live footage, though I think I could live without another documentary at this point. More than anything, I want the rare Syd era (and beyond) outtakes, bbc sessions and live recordings. Perhaps a revamped/expanded Relics set would be in order?

(Maybe it's time to put the troll on ignore. Stop feeding into his mania.)

25. Wyoming

Can you offer insight into how listening to the album on a different setup, and in full context will change the inherent songwriting quality of Anisina?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.