Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff Thread Starter

2. tonesforchris

tonesforchris Forum Resident

Regardless of how this album came into production, and whom was missing, as long as it captures some of the feeling of Pink Floyd's prior instrumental work i'll be ecstatic to give it a spin when my pre-order of the vinyl arrives.

tcbtcb, rockledge and Pancat like this.
  3. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

The river may be endless but each thread is not :laugh:

4. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

I'll kick it off.

HOLY COW Obscured by Clouds is COOL!!

For some reason I thought this was going to be a post Wall record for some funny reason and I am listening going..."wow this sounds retro and I kept trying to in my mind describe how they went backwards and how successful they were at it...I was thinking..."man for a record that probably came out in the 90's this sounds like 1973 meets a tiny bit of 1977/"

I wasn't too far off.

:)

I loved Burning Bridges and the gold it's in the...

still working my way through the record...but I like it a lot.

I have high hopes for The Endless River...I think whatever they put together it should be interesting and worth a purchase.

RonBaker, Rocat, coffeetime and 2 others like this.
  5. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

Well, to now actually get real details from the Floyd camp, the excitement has definitely increased for me.

Shak Cohen and rontoon like this.
  6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

The details are on the site : http://www.pinkfloyd.com/theendlessriver/

7. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

8. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

man, I hate it when a webpage needs to run a bazillion scripts just to play a bloody media file!!

why do I need to allow

facebook.com
    facebook.net
    twitter
    googleapis
    conviva
    vimeo,
    vimeocdn
    googleanalytics,
    google.ca
    googleadservices
    iphbs.com
    scorecardsearch.com
    sndcdn.com

as well as

pinkfloyd.net ( the hosting site )

and it still doesn't play :D

Studio_Two, ProgDave74 and Mike Visco like this.
  9. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

@rontoon wrote:

I still think they should have compiled a soundtrack album for the Wall. Would have made for a good disc 7 on the Wall Immersion set!!

eyeCalypso, coffeetime and Bolero like this.
  10. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Brief audio clip is gorgeous. I'll be torn between the DVD and BluRay versions if I haven't replaced my broken BluRay player yet by then.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  11. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

allright I finally got the clip on their site to play...I'll probably buy it if only to hear David Gilmour improvising over some interesting, ethereal backing tracks. Gilmour is one of my heros

not a huge fan of their post-Waters stuff, but I did really like those barn jams that showed up on youtube...were they ever released?

12. zakyfarms

zakyfarms White cane lying in a gutter in the lane.

You might consider installing the Ghostery plugin. Gets rid of all that BS, & you can just allow what you need to let the file play.

nsmith1002, Bolero and pablorkcz like this.
  13. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

using noscript right now, problem is it's hard to figure out exactly WHAT to allow...even right clicking on the link & allowing the stuff that shows up, doesn't play

welcome to the internet...oops I mean mass humanity advertising & tracking system

14. AudioCD

AudioCD Forum Resident

15. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Some of the Barn Jams appeared as extras on the Gdansk box set.

Myke and Bolero like this.
  16. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

aha! thanks

nice to meet you here, Mr Rontoon, Esquire ;)

rontoon likes this.
  17. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I will say this: I have already started planning the listening party at my house when it comes out! The deluxe is ordered, and that is a lot more music than I expected them to release for this set. I expect a very nice chill out record; especially with Youth being involved in the production.

I gotta say I like the cover more than, say, Delicate Sound of Thunder. The cover reflects how I expect the music to sound: very expansive, wide open, floaty, heavenly...yeah I know it sounds cheesy, but this is about a deceased member of the band. You are allowed to be a little cheesy because death is such a heavy subject.

Funny, I first thought of Dream Theater more than anything when I saw it. Looks more "prog rock" than say Christian rock or New Age imo.

18. SpinningInfinity

SpinningInfinity Forum Resident

rontoon earlier you'd posted a link to some Division Bell demos...I think on youtube...I was just there looking and couldn't spot them....can you repost the link?

thank you.

19. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Oh, and I don't want to see anyone getting on Rontoon's case. I've read his posts for years on the FleetingGlimpse website, and he knows his stuff. He's been extremely helpful over the years and has never steered anyone wrong.

20. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

someone said:

"Nah, worst Floyd cover would go to Ummagumma."

-->hey, I really like the Ummagumma cover art!

esp the back cover:

[​IMG]

Raynie, tonesforchris, Rocat and 7 others like this.
  21. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Nobody's got on his case to my knowledge, at least in this thread (or it's past two parts).

OT: Upon closer inspecting the actual package, it seems Floyd have gone with the cheap scratching card sleeve route, again. That said, I look forward to listening to it.

22. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Really excited about the album and I think the cover is nice tribute to Rick.
    Would be so curious to hear more on how the album sounds.
    Eventually when the album is released and Im gonna get little listening-party going on here, as any new Pink Floyd music is so are occasion nowadays.
    I have now preordered 2LP, cd and cd/bluray-deluxe, so Im covered for this release.
    Honestly, I cant wait...

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
    SpinningInfinity likes this.
  23. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

24. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No real problem here. I really like this forum and it's members and after being here for a few years now it's exciting to finally have some Floydian news to discuss!
    I'm pretty sure they've been removed by PF management. There are a few snippets left if you do a search for them. Send me a PM if you would like more info.

tedhead likes this.
  25. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

I gotta say I like the fact that the only song with lyrics sums up the band perfectly. I can't think of a better way to end a career as a band. Its like how Abbey Road concludes with "The End", or Roger's last words on The Final Cut: "Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend, we are all equal in the end." Or even The Division

That was a nice farewell even if it wasn't planned as such. I'm gonna drown myself in 5.1 with this baby. I have some skeptical friends who are interested nonetheless.

Raynie and Billy Infinity like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.