Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Roger posted this on his Facebook page..

"A note from Roger - September 30, 2014
    Dear Friends

Some people have been asking Laurie, my wife, about a new album I have coming out in November. Errhh? I don't have an album coming out, they are probably confused. David Gilmour and Nick Mason have an album coming out. It's called Endless River. David and Nick constitute the group Pink Floyd. I on the other hand, am not part of Pink Floyd. I left Pink Floyd in 1985, that's 29 years ago. I had nothing to do with either of the Pink Floyd studio albums, Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, nor the Pink Floyd tours of 1987 and 1994, and I have nothing to do with Endless River. Phew! This is not rocket science people, get a grip."

GrahamBW, wayne66, tedhead and 6 others like this.
  2. Matheusms

Matheusms Forum Resident

Amused To Death is very different from Roger's past contributions with the Floyd, adding some amazing talents like Jeff Beck (his solo in What God Wants Part III is one of the most spine chilling things ever recorded). Even Pros and Cons has its moments, like the astonishingly beautiful bluesy Every Strangers Eyes. And KAOS couldn't be anymore different from Pink Floyd (thank god, even though David Gilmour tried the same horrible approach on AMLOR). I really can't see any solo work from Roger, Rick or Nick very close to the sound of their past band. On An Island is much closer to the sound of the PF 1987 ltd. than the beautiful Wet Dream or Amused and still has some personality of its own. I don't think that the "Floyds" ever tried to recreate their past 70's glory. They moved on, for better or worse.

3. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

The Division Bell (the original CD release from 94) sounds very nice on a good system. Very warm and much better than "A Momentary Lapse..."
    I find The Division Bell very under-rated by many that aren't willing to give it a fair listen (who have some pre conceived notion that all things Floyd have to be something they're not or can't be)

Hawklord and Billy Infinity like this.
  4. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Love this !!!! :laugh:

5. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Let's all be honest...You can even like his music.......Pink Floyd was better with him........................................Roger is an ass!!!

J_D__ likes this.
  6. Zack

Zack Senior Member

The critics are locked and loaded, no doubt.

7. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

The PF site hasn't charged my card for my order from last week. :shrug:

8. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Poor Laurie. Let's hope that this finally set things straight for her. :p

PhoffiFozz and pablorkcz like this.
  9. johnny 99

johnny 99 Down On Main Street

Give 'em a St Vincent or Arcade Fire album and tell 'em to Shut Up...

10. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

I was just trolling i've never given a penny to them.

11. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

How DARE Robert Plant... er, I mean Roger Waters not want to be part of his old band. How DARE he! :laugh:

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

A fan's reply:

:D

Hawklord, krock2009, tedhead and 4 others like this.
  13. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Why should Pink Floyd include Roger? David did the bass parts anyway

14. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

More than likely, you still need to have the funds available for them to at least be able to put a "hold" on them. I didn't have the funds. Luckily, Amazon doesn't require such.

15. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

OMG, we're going here again?! [That said, if the dreadful Roger hadn't written the songs in the first place, David wouldn't need to overdub bass parts, would he?]

16. Myke

What you're saying is...when they did the temporary authorization, they found your card to be nearly maxed out, to the point of not being able to cover your purchase price.
    A lot of online retailers do this.
    Acoustic Sounds, CD Japan, etc.
    Actual charging occurs at shipping.

17. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

People asking Roger's wife about Endless River is as ridiculous as the people who kept telling Nick Mason they loved his performance in Berlin 1990!

PH416156 and Myke like this.
  18. Mike in OR

Mike in OR Through Middle-earth...onto Heart of The Sunrise

Nope, more than enough funds in the account. You may have thought you were charged immediately, but usually it just sits pending and drops off. It is a typical way to confirm the account is legit and that the funds are available. They will come through later with the actual charge.

Myke likes this.
  19. xXFloydianXx

Yeah, I guess Amazon doesn't do that, then. But I've never pre-ordered anything through Acoustic Sounds or CD Japan, so I wouldn't know anything about the way they handle their transactions.

20. Myke

Amazon, having more money than Moses, they've never felt the need to be sure anyone has a legit account, etc. They do their money transactions within hours of actually shipping, where if you come up short, they simply don't ship.

tribby2001 likes this.
  21. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

So David Gilmour and Nick Mason got together in 2013 and "decided that the tracks should be made available as part of the Pink Floyd repertoire"?

Uh, sorry.

You can call it what you like, but it still doesn't make it Pink Floyd.

22. jordanlolss

jordanlolss Forum Resident

Why not? It's as much Pink Floyd as the Division Bell is

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  23. xXFloydianXx

Wright is included, as well. A tribute to him.

It's a Pink Floyd album. Get over it.

24. aroney

aroney Who really gives a...?

That does little to sway my assertion. I could never get into that album, nor consider it "Pink Floyd" proper. Naming rights notwithstanding.

This new one departs even further with this description, "It is a mainly instrumental album with one song, ‘Louder Than Words’, (with new lyrics by novelist Polly Samson), arranged across four sides and produced by David Gilmour, Phil Manzanera, Youth and Andy Jackson".

Stop.

tojo1962 and Matheusms like this.
  25. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

It has Gilmour, Mason, and Wright. Sounds like Pink Floyd 1985 Incorporated to me. I'm sure I will enjoy it.

Larry C. McGinnis III likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.