Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VinylRob

VinylRob Forum Resident

Ah, ...Zeppelin.

2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I remember looking at a Rolling Stone Record Guide in the mid 80s and looking up the Black Sabbath discography, they had every album rated as 1 star. At that moment I decided I would never take them seriously again.

3. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  4. ModernDayWarrior

ModernDayWarrior Senior Member

5. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

That's not even remotely a review. I could have written that without even hearing the album. Four paragraphs, the first three simply rehashing history.

KASHMIR and rontoon like this.
  6. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

— this latest album without a doubt will pull at the aching heartstrings of Floyd fans that have been yearning for new music for the past 20 years.

That's basically all it says.

KASHMIR and rontoon like this.
  7. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

What a useless write-up...wouldn't mind reading that RS French review though, I take it you've read a scanned version?

Cool cover in any case :

[​IMG]

Carserguev likes this.
  8. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

Listened to Momentary Lapse & Division Bell yesterday. Haven't heard either of them in more than ten years. I was pleasantly surprised at how good they sounded. Purely from a musical perspective, they haven't aged too badly - at least for me. They also provided me with dozens of bittersweet memories from those times.

9. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I know MLOR always gets crapped on but I really like that Album. I do not care how it was created or what Frankenstein method was used what was produced to me was a really great album.

I love the dark foreboding atmosphere that runs through MLOR and I always associate that Album with the fall which is my favorite season. I like that the music actually presents the mood of the entire album.

While I do like the DBell in the end it was a tad to happy for my tastes.

From what I've heard it seems Endless River is kind of happy which is fine seems the band has gotten a little to old to be dark nowadays, but for all the crap MLOR gets I think people miss the atmosphere of it.

10. Keim

Keim Hangin' here from the start

Put me down as another AMLOR fan. A bit hit and miss, a few real Dogs, but I like it overall.

Can't wait to hear TER.

Carserguev and Billy Infinity like this.
  11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

There are also the sheep and the dog from Animals. The bricks of the pyramid walls are less obvious, as well as the right head statue "burning" in the rays of the sun. Or maybe it's only my imagination, and the Wall/WYWH references are on the dark side of the magazine...

12. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

Photo is 10+ years old.

13. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

The latter one is more "Floydian", and a better album. Sorry Gilmour.

14. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

"Le Making Of De The Endless River" :biglaugh:

They need to get a new Franglais editor.

15. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Not sure that they do. What's written may look strange but it's actually just indicative of what English the French language has picked up. The English language often uses French in similarly awkward ways. I'd be keen to read "Le making of" of The Endless River moreso than the making of The Endless River.

16. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

What's funny about it is that the only French words in the sentence are articles and prepositions. But what's really funny is "le making of de," which translates to "the making of of." If they're going to appropriate "le making of" as a French word, they shouldn't follow it with "de the," which is redundant.

17. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

The album is called "The Endless River" not "Endless River" so it's correct, but "de" instead of "De" would have helped make it look less funny perhaps. Anyway has anyone seen a scan of that article?

18. pablorkcz

pablorkcz ⚡️⚡️⚡️⚡️

What would have made it correct (or rather, less awkward) would be dropping the DE altogether or using LA RÉALISATION DE instead trying to horn MAKING OF in there.
    :tiphat:

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  19. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

Well no because there is no equivalent to "Making Of" in French to convey concisely the "get the lown down"/"behind the scenes" of something, besides it is used very frequently for movies especially and everyone understands what it means. So while awkward looking it was the only way to write it. Dropping the DE would be incorrect, dropping THE would have made it look better, but again the title is "THE ENDLESS RIVER", not "ENDLESS RIVER".

20. dvda

dvda Forum Resident

Go to 1:01 in the video and look at Rick's expression when Nick Mason remarks that "Rick would be thrilled".

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Are you referring to the subtle head nod? Yup, that's what editors do.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  22. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

We need somebody from France, but in my country it's not uncommon to hear il making of di in a similar context; eg "Il making of di Avatar".

So, in Italy we might have a "Il making of di The Endless River" title. Gotta check the next issue of Rolling Stone Italy

...unfortunately, this is what we got this month :hurl:

[​IMG]

23. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I understand why an Italian or French speaker would use that construction, but it makes no sense: the problem is that they're appropriating "le making of" or "il making of" as a word in their language without really understanding the grammar of the English construction that they're appropriating, leading to the redundancy of "of de" or "of di."

24. joachim50

joachim50 Forum Resident

What about a German wording?

"Die Verfertigung von "Der endlose Fluß""

I estimate that "Verfertigung" is a tough word for all you linguists,isn't it.......

25. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

Avatar : le "making of" ... you will find this in the french mags ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.