Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

That's correct but...what can I say? We even have a wiki entry about it :shrug:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Making_of

2. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

no ... it's redundant for you ( this i understand ) but not for the french author. le "making of" becomes a new word even if there is of inside. they dont care.
    if you literally translate, it should be written " le reportage sur la fabrication du film "vikings" ... it's far easier to write le "making of" de "vikings"

PH416156 likes this.
  3. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

furthermore, it's a title on the cover of the mag ... the shorter, the better.

4. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I understand your point of view, but when the entire sentence is in English, with "le" and "de" as the only French words, it becomes pointless. If you're going that far to appropriate "le making of" as a word in French, it contains the concept expressed by "de" already. "Le making of de the" is just nonsense. The real problem is their using "le making of" as a French word to begin with, instead of "le réalisation de" or "le fabrication de" or any other actual French phrase. But they will turn "le" + any English phrase into a "French" word, as evidenced by "le jogging," etc.

VinylRob and pablorkcz like this.
  5. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

"Americanisms" ( words with american roots ) are numerous in the french press especially in music and cinema . it's "à la mode" ;)

btw, you must have a lot of french names in the cities around you on mississippi river ...

6. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Because there is a general resistance to creating new French words.

7. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

So now this thread has devolved into a discussion about translations... :doh:

8. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Oui :shh:

rontoon likes this.
  9. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

Your fault ;-) You still need to tell us where you read that article that you thought contained an interesting review !

rontoon likes this.
  10. Alofter

Alofter Nowhere Man

So upon watching that epk again there is a shot of David with a rack of guitars behind him. Did anyone else notice the black Telecaster deluxe? I wonder if this is the same one Syd is photographed with on the Madcap Laughs photo sessions. Can anyone confirm?

11. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

I visit my mom in France every year: I'm quite aware of that. I sometimes wonder why I even bother to learn le French, though, because, at the rate they're going, every word in their language will be "le" + an English word.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

That's how it goes here. Conversation starts way too early ( 4 months ago this time ), so about a week or two before release day, everyone's burned out, and barely talking about the subject of the thread. Release day, it picks back up for 24 hours or so, then sinks so low, you have to do a search, if you want to post your impressions of the album. :laugh: How else do you think I learned how to " watch a thread " ?

13. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

There are already words in the French language that express the concept "le making of." There is no need for them to borrow that English phrase.

pablorkcz likes this.
  14. christian42

christian42 Forum Resident

This will drag this off topic even more, but English does exactly the same when trying to incorporate foreign words into its framework. I can only give Swedish examples because those are the ones I know.

1. Almost all Swedish sports teams are called city name + possessive s followed by an adjective or an abbreviation for "sport club"/"football club"/whatever, e.g. Jönköpings Södra, Helsingborgs IF, Trelleborgs FF, etc. And because English doesn't recognise this, the clubs are always called Jönköpings, Helsingborgs, Trelleborgs whenever they are referred to in text. The correct form would obviously be Jönköping, Helsingborg, Trelleborg.

2. In Swedish we construct the definitive form of nouns by a combination of an article and a suffix. "En stor bok" means "a big book". "Den stora boken" means "the big book". "Stora böcker" means "big books". "De stora böckerna" means "the big books". This leads to English referring to things as "The Moderaterna" (Swedish political party, should be "The Moderats" or just "Moderaterna"), "the Aftonbladet" (Swedish tabloid, should be "the Aftonblad"), and so on.

However, since no one can be expected to know all grammatical particulars and quirks of a foreign language, these constructions will always live on. It's hard to call them incorrect.

D.H. likes this.
  15. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

To be fair it happens in all languages and sometimes the meaning of a word or sentence gets totally screwed up. I know of some Brits that went to Italy and ordered "latte" and were surprised to be served a glass of milk.
    Another thing in Brit English that drives me mad is the use of "panini" as a singular word.

Oh by the way "spaghetti" ARE not IS!

abor1g likes this.
  16. fab4

fab4 Forum Resident

BTW, during mid-1990's, it was planned to removed English words in the french language... but they didn't.

I haven't not read all the thread, but what is the date of release of The Endless River ?

17. rppvaldez

rppvaldez Forum Resident

Really, like what? There is maybe one expression (not "words") I can think of (being bilingual since...forerever) but let's see if you can find it ;-)

Still hoping rontoon will tell us where he heard/read that there was a great review in that mag!

18. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

11/10 in USA

19. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

11/7 in Germany

20. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

According to NME, "The Endless River" is already Amazon's most pre-ordered album from 2014, and could become the most pre-ordered album of all time in the next days.

http://www.nme.com/news/pink-floyd/80565

21. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

There is hope for melodic music still :)

JulesRules likes this.
  22. pink-nice

pink-nice Member

2,5 Stars from 5 by the German Rolling Stone.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

That's better than the 2 stars that Division Bell got from allmusic, which personally I find to be generous.

24. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

But that magazine can't be trusted anymore i mean:

[​IMG]

That's the mexican president dude. The magazine is half politics content nowadays, makes me :hurl:

aroney and Mr. H like this.
  25. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Well, yeah, it's pleasant sounding meanderings with one OK song. I hate to be pessimistic but the average buyer expecting a Pink Floyd album is going to be disappointed.

Smiths22 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.