Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Three)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Sep 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Ron- You are the Floyd guy and some of the Harvested material is 100% certified desert island material. Merci! Now about Endless River, what I've heard to date, and admittedly it's not much, simply hasn't moved me (thank for the live sample there Keef Richards). Am I wrong to think that? No and heck no! As I wrote, in my last post, I do hope that I'm wrong about my initial impressions. ER is on order and believe me that I will give it a lot of listens- Dave, Rick, and Nick made some incredible music together both with and without Jolly Roger. With expectations in check I'm watching my mailbox.

rontoon likes this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Thanks for the props mando_dan! Much appreciated.
    But while you are not wrong to think that a couple of 30-second clips don't float your boat that would probably be true about a random a 30-second clip from Shine On, or Echoes, or (insert your own favorite Floydian tune) that isn't indicative of the entire track or the album as a whole. That's all I'm saying. I'm not only looking forward to this album but also to every long-time fan like yourself who feels some sense of vindication, closure, and true satisfaction from their final release. Looking forward to reading your opinion after a listen or two!

JulesRules, Keim and Mr. H like this.
  3. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I think that I'll be just as happy as I've been with every other Gilmour release, plus it's coming to me when there's a nip in the air, fireplaces are burning, and I'm eating pumpkin-everything.
    Been that way for every Gilmour-related release.
    I associate his music with Autumn, and will till I die.

KASHMIR, rontoon and Mr. H like this.
  4. Tornado Red

Tornado Red Forum Resident

Uh huh. I'll always be a sucker for purchasing any music that man makes with his magical black strat (and other) guitars.

5. revolution_vanderbilt

revolution_vanderbilt Forum Resident

but I want to forget!

Kevin j, Smiths22 and rontoon like this.
  6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

That says more about the writers than about the album. I've bought a couple of their issues and found myself disagreeing with their assessments quite often.

7. Wyoming

Wyoming Well-Known Member

I think most people would be ecstatic, and we wouldn't have had the backlash on FB if those were the kind of samples we heard.

It's very easy to tell if a song is crap or the production is dated/lifeless from a 30 second clip. When you hear 30 seconds of Lady Gaga, do you need to hear the rest of the song to know it's bad?

8. JulesRules

Progressive rock wouldn't have had a chance emerging if everybody had based their opinions on 30 second clips they'd listen to only once.

KASHMIR, Keim and Rooster_Ties like this.
  9. Wyoming

Dark side of the Moon is #2 all time at Rate Your Music. In fact, Pink Floyd has five albums in the top 100, matched only by The Beatles and Dylan. They are very, very highly regarded.

If the album is panned, it deserved to be panned.

10. Wyoming

I can tell from 30 seconds of a Dream Theater clip that it's pretentious and overwrought.

pablorkcz and RomanZ like this.
  11. JulesRules

It just shows that Floyd had a hard time with critics and that they have generally not been rated fairly. Listen to the album and then make your opinion and not the other way round!
    I did not mention Dream Theater. Don't know where that came from.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  12. Wyoming

interesting logic on display here. You claim that we should only comment on the record after fully listening to it, and yet you're championing the record after only listening to a part of it.

Critics have been very hard on post-Waters Pink Floyd, even the biggest Pink Floyd fans. It has nothing to do with soap operas involving the band, but rather an objective look at the quality of the songwriting.

For example, The Division Bell and AMLOR do not even place in the top 10,000 all time at Rate Your Music. Does this mean RYM hates Pink Floyd? No. That would be a logical fallacy. Pink Floyd has 5 albums in the top 100 all time, and actually has two in the top 5 all time. No other band has this. Radio Kaoss does not place, either. Does RYM hate Roger Waters? No. Not wth DSOTM and WYWH in the top 5 all time. Kaoss is just a weak record, like TDB and AMLOR.

13. Wyoming

On the principle user music review site on the internet, they dominate. Time has been very good to Pink Floyd.

14. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

For those who don't want to take the time to read all 3 parts, here is this thread in a nutshell:
    This album is gonna suck when it's released.
    I'm looking forward to it. Should be interesting.
    I love the album.
    I hate the album.
    I read the reviews. I won't be getting it.
    I don't care about reviews. I'll get it.
    Pink Floyd is the greatest.
    Pink Floyd sucks.
    Pink Floyd isn't Pink Floyd without Roger Waters.
    Roger Waters is a prat. Gilmour IS Pink Floyd.
    Classic Rock is for old people.
    I hate new music.
    I only like new music. Wake up!
    It's a sad ending to a once great band.
    It's a nice postscript to a great band.

What have we learned here? That this forum's discussion and discourse habits are rapidly approaching Facebook and YouTube discussion proportions.

15. JulesRules

But you don't realized that the public opinion on TDB and AMLOR is very much formed by people who keep uttering they're ****. I almost missed out on AMLOR because I heard so much bad about it and I discovered that it's much better than I'd expected.
    I was referring to DSOTM getting bad reviews back in the day. Also, many fans were older when AMLOR and TDB came out and therefore might have looked at these albums differently if they'd been younger. I know that there's evidence for this. For once, I never got why AMLOR or TDB were considered to contain bad songwriting. I think many people are biased in their opinion about them.
    Listening to a larger part like, say, ten or fifteen minutes can enable somebody to have an opinion. It allows you to hear the music in its proper context. Remember The Wall or The Final Cut? Imagine the first you'd heard of them was one of those short pieces like "Vera" or "Get Your Filthy Hands Off My Desert". They only make sense in the context of the music surrounding them. Same with these snippets.

16. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

I'm as big of a Pink Floyd fan as they come, and I've never heard this album.

17. JulesRules

I'll pick those out for me.

Carserguev, KASHMIR and Keim like this.
  18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

Yeah those would be my choices as well by the way.

JulesRules likes this.
  19. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

corneredcat likes this.
  20. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

Mettler: Would you go back and do surround mixes for albums like A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)?

Jackson: We did talk about it at one time. Unfortunately, that’s where the bean counters come in, to see if it’s worth it. There was at one point a Momentary Lapse project, to rethink it a bit. We did a little bit of work on it, but it fell by the wayside. And, of course, we had relied on having Rick [Wright] with us.

21. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I'm not offering an opinion on the record itself but rather an opinion on the facts I've read about it in regards to the making of the album and what the album is about thematically and musically (which is a nod the the history of the band). My point was that you can't critique an entire record on 3 30-second samples. I also offered conjecture on who wouldn't like it based on what I've read on several forums. People who don't like the album (for various reasons) w/o actually hearing it will most likely not like the album.

KASHMIR likes this.
  22. Wyoming

I'm not sure why people keep using this to rationalize the poor quality samples we heard. Intelligent music listeners (IE people who buy at least several albums from new artists every year) can discern production and tone from clips. And Pink Floyd even posted an entire song. That's quite a bit to chew on. The lyrics were brutal, the keyboards sounded like early 90's fake workstation EP's, and the chorus sounded like it came from a Foreigner song.

23. JulesRules

That's sad.

24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I find it funny that you have 20 total posts on this website, and all of them are slagging a record that you haven't even heard.

Gary, 24voltsdc, Lownote30 and 5 others like this.
  25. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Opinions are subjective and while I respect yours I've read many people's opinions who disagree with you.

JulesRules likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.