Pink Floyd - "The Endless River" -- New Release October 2014 (Part Two)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mark, Jul 9, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

Let's hope Apple doesn't give Endless River away for free and turn most of humanity against Pink Floyd.

2. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

Could it be that the relative quiet surrounding this release is a way to temper expectations of what is (apparently) a largely instrumental album? If there was a big promotional pre-push, those who don't read the fine print might be disappointed at the lack of "traditional" songs.

Big Pasi, wayne66 and Smiths22 like this.
  3. I'm sure I'm probably in the minority (of the general public), but that this new Floyd release is more or even mostly instrumental is potentially great news!!

Isn't the majority of "Wish You Were Here" (the album) instrumental? - and it's a masterpiece (especially the "Shine On" suites, which are largely instrumental).

4. botley

botley Forum Resident

If the last two had been instrumental, they'd have been far stronger for it as far as I'm concerned.

5. pink-nice

pink-nice Member

There is no way to temper expectations...i´m sure that we becom a great Album.

6. marigoldilemma

marigoldilemma Forum Resident

W
    When will be seeing the entire PF catalogue reissued on vinyl?

7. Well, "more instrumental" might have been better (some of it, at least), but I'm not sure I'd want to give up hearing Dave's wonderful voice entirely.

And in some cases, "Dogs of War" for instance (as one example of a tune I think contributes to the "mixed bag" quality of AMLOR), surely wouldn't have been all that much improved by having an all-instrumental concept.

8. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

Surely by 2020, I hope.

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

My originals are great, as confirmed again just yesterday, here in the classifieds.

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

The US release date of 11-11 was posted by Billboard and that has not changed and the release has not been delayed despite the lack of publicity up to this point in time. The album will be all instrumental with the exception of a single track. My guess is that the track will be in the vein of Shine On, a long composition with a few verses.

Larry L and xXFloydianXx like this.
  11. xXFloydianXx

xXFloydianXx One Slip, and down the hole we fall

So I would assume that those other track(s) that Durga sang on are going to be just straight-up singing instrumentals (ala Great Gig in the Sky)?

12. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Well perhaps not as prominent but I guess we can expect some "Oohs and ahhs" in there. :p

NunoBento, PROG U.K. and xXFloydianXx like this.
  13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Steady …

14. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Thanks for the update. Good to know what to expect

15. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

Really looking forward to this and hopefully the release-date wont change.

16. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

After the U2 debacle with Apple offering a removal tool that treated the album akin to malware, I'm wondering how much clout 'Dad Rock' has got these days - apart from Floyd fans and Hoffman folk.

17. tommyball

tommyball Forum Resident

The U2 debacle was Apple's fault. I wouldn't want some Broadway Musical album showing up in my music library. It should have just been a free purchase.

There are a lot of young fans out there. It's fun to check out reddit's Pink Floyd group. I didn't start listening until AMLOR came out and I'm one of the older fans there. Also, a number of young fans are very much into vinyl actually and proudly post their collections.

NunoBento, tedhead and Smiths22 like this.
  18. plextor

plextor Forum Resident

I doubt it matters, pretty obvious this release was not done to make a ton of money and was done to give Rick a proper musical swansong.

I never imagined my 4 year old would be around for a new Pink floyd album, he is pretty excited along with Daddy.

Billy Infinity likes this.
  19. resomod

resomod New Member

Is it possible to get a rundown off all the facts so far?
    - 11-10/11 Release date (EU/US)
    - One gilmour vocal track
    - Guy Pratt playing bass
    - there will be Vinyl
    - 2 cd set (who knows about a shortened vinyl version?)

What source says Roger was never asked, or told about the project?

Any other facts of interest?

I can't help but wonder if they want to make Roger's appearance a surprise. It would also be in typical Floyd unpredictable fashion for Roger and Dave to guest on each other's records but still have no Roger on the Floyd.

20. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

From what I can tell, Pink Floyd seems to have a fair amount of credibility with younger music fans for an older band. Part of this may be down to their elusive mystique, as opposed to the ubiquitous Bono. Still, given that this is primarily an instrumental album, drawn from outtakes recorded in the 90s, I'm thinking that this one is more geared towards hardcore fans than a broad general audience. We shall see. . .

21. 2 LP set is confirmed, but no mention yet made about more than one CD.

resomod likes this.
  22. Mike Visco

Mike Visco Forum Resident

I have to say I am a lot disappointed that there will only be one vocal. But-I have to hear the music-perhaps it is not designed to even accomodate vocals.

Seems to me though that all hype incorporated, would not be a huge seller, maybe a week in the top 5, unless it attracts new agers...

23. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Maybe Dave should concentrate on scat singing :).

24. Spacement Monitor

Spacement Monitor Forum Resident

From Wikipedia, regarding The Division Bell sessions: "Song selection was based upon a system of points, whereby all three members would award marks out of ten to each candidate song, a system skewed somewhat by Wright's decision to award his songs ten points each, and the other songs no points."

Is it possible there were Wright vocal tracks left over that might be repurposed for this album?

25. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Possibly, but I think it is more likely that the songs were still instrumental at that point, and the lyrics were composed after the music was selected. Plus I think that even if Rick wrote all of the music to a song, it is no guarantee that he would want to do the vocal on it.

Spacement Monitor likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.